Sark Headed to USC

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
Re: Sark Headed to USC
Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:57 pm
  • Petrino is the best coach available, and IMO is an upgrade over Sark. He'd have to pay $1.2 million to get out of his contract with Western Kentucky, but I imagine that wouldn't be much of an obstacle for him.

I guess the question is, does UW hustle for a coach right now, or do they wait a month to see who gets fired in the NFL? Though he obviously has his issues, I wouldn't mind seeing UW make a play for Rex Ryan if he's fired. He's a defensive genius and has the kind of natural charisma that lends itself to ace recruiting.
    Last edited by kearly on Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:57 pm
  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:[quote="JSeahawks"]Looks like Tosh Lupoi is going to USC as well.

@adamgorney" Reports that Tosh Lupoi and Justin Wilcox will join Sarkisian at #USC. Huge boost for recruiting

What happens to Ogeron?

He resigned this morning.

No sign of that after a quick google search.

I'm a USC fan. He's gone.

Twitter confirms

"@insidetroy: Four different sources telling me Ed Orgeron is gone. #USC going in a different direction with Sark."

"@HeatherBrit Confirmed: Despite being offered more money and an Assistant HC position, Coach Ed Orgeron has sent in his resignation to #USC."

“@mikejurecki: Hearing interim HC Ed Orgeron will be leaving #USC, also told he will not coach USC in the bowl game. #PAC12”[/quote]

Yup. Still nothing official but BR has him listed as a HC candidate. I would expect him to leave after being passed over for Sark when all the players, boosters and former players were lobbying for you. UW needs to find a way to get him in some capacity.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:59 pm
  • Wilcox is the biggest loss here for UW. Maybe Petersen as HC and Orgeron as DC? Although I wouldn't mind them giving a serious look to NIU's head coach, Rod Carey.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:02 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote: UW needs to find a way to get him in some capacity.

I don't think I agree with you on anything, but this would be such a no brainer if they could pull it off. Ed Orgeron is the original super recruiter. As good as people might think Tosh is at recruiting, he's got nothing on Coach O who has been a top top shelf recruiter for 15+ years.
    drrew
    NET Starter

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:03 pm
  • kearly wrote:Petrino is the best coach available, and IMO is an upgrade over Sark. He'd have to pay $1.2 million to get out of his contract with Western Kentucky, but I imagine that wouldn't be much of an obstacle for him.

I guess the question is, does UW hustle for a coach right now, or do they wait a month to see who gets fired in the NFL? Though he obviously has his issues, I wouldn't mind seeing UW make a play for Rex Ryan if he's fired. He's a defensive genius and has the kind of natural charisma that lends itself to ace recruiting.

Petrino isn't a fit for this town, probably not realistic. Would be a good hire but I'm not sure he would work in this town
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:04 pm
  • What a weird day this is for me. I woke up sick for the first time in a year, check my PMs to see a pretty intense (in a good way) PM from a well liked poster who lost his dog this morning, Harvin declared "out" and now UW gets gutted. All of that by noon. This is maybe the biggest regular season game ever for Seattle tonight. I felt really confident about this game, but if we lose that game, I'll definitely remember this day for a very, very long time.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:05 pm
  • drrew wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote: UW needs to find a way to get him in some capacity.

I don't think I agree with you on anything, but this would be such a no brainer if they could pull it off. Ed Orgeron is the original super recruiter. As good as people might think Tosh is at recruiting, he's got nothing on Coach O who has been a top top shelf recruiter for 15+ years.

I know he is. I've debated J on this. Carrolls right hand man at SC. In reality if we land the Fresno St coach as HC and O as asst HC/recruit coord/position coach I'd be happy.

My dream is Bobby but I don't know how the locals would feel.
    Last edited by CALIHAWK1 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:06 pm
  • davidonmi wrote:Petrino isn't a fit for this town, probably not realistic. Would be a good hire but I'm not sure he would work in this town

I dunno, Neuheisel had some skeletons in his closet and UW hired him. If UW hires Petrino, it's a redemption story anyway.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:06 pm
  • Push screw this, saban to UW, let's start the movement lol
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:07 pm
  • Great news.

I hope they don't let him coach the bowl
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:08 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:Wilcox is the biggest loss here for UW. Maybe Petersen as HC and Orgeron as DC? Although I wouldn't mind them giving a serious look to NIU's head coach, Rod Carey.

Maybe Carey is a good coach, but I'd be wary of any small school program that rose to prominence on the backs of two sensational 6'1" QBs. Without Harnish and Lynch, NIU is still a nothing program.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:08 pm
  • Wow losing all of our coaches is gonna hurt. This now really sucks..........
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:09 pm
  • Interesting name just popped up on my twitter feed, Ray Horton is a UW Alum? I never knew that.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:11 pm
  • It is what it is. I had a gut feeling when the USC job opened up that Sark would bail. He has no ties to UW, it was a stepping stone for him. At least he left the program in better shape than when he came in. Good luck at USC, Sark.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:11 pm
  • I wonder if Danny O'neil and some angst-ridden fans of like-mind calling for Sarks' head, at the end of UW's best season in 10+ years, factored in this decision? It's pretty hard to turn down such a rare opportunity for a fanbase that doesn't even want you anymore, despite turning the program around.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:12 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:Interesting name just popped up on my twitter feed, Ray Horton is a UW Alum? I never knew that.

Not just a UW Alum, Ray Horton is a Tacoma guy. That being said, zero NCAA experience.
    drrew
    NET Starter

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:13 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:Interesting name just popped up on my twitter feed, Ray Horton is a UW Alum? I never knew that.

UW alum and is from Tacoma originally. I will be monitoring this situation closely.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:16 pm
  • While I wouldn't love petersen based on previous success by BSU coaches I'd be willing to let it play out with him
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:22 pm

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:25 pm
  • Considering how he was almost litterally run out of town on a rail (though I assume he flew to LA) it's pretty funny to see people clamoring for Jim Mora to come back.

As a semi-interested Husky fan (they're my NCAA team when I'm in an NCAA kinda mood) I wouldn't mind it. For all that i thought he was a god awful NFL coach, he always seemed to be a pretty good dude, and he's definitely proving himself a capable NCAA coach. I think it'd be fun if he came back.

Ray Horton though... that's very interesting. It might have just been some "Rooney Rule" crap*, but I seem to recall there being a bit of chatter on him as a NFL head coach at some point recently...

*Yes Pe, I know... I'm racist.
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:27 pm
  • davidonmi wrote:While I wouldn't love petersen based on previous success by BSU coaches I'd be willing to let it play out with him

Petersen has shown a consistent ability to get the most out of mid-level recruits. That's what I like about him. If he comes to UW he'll be able to get better recruits than he did at BSU so imagine what he'd be able to do with those players.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:34 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    davidonmi wrote:While I wouldn't love petersen based on previous success by BSU coaches I'd be willing to let it play out with him

Petersen has shown a consistent ability to get the most out of mid-level recruits. That's what I like about him. If he comes to UW he'll be able to get better recruits than he did at BSU so imagine what he'd be able to do with those players.

I don't think Petersen would be bad at all. The recent history of BSU coaches (Nutt, Hawkins, Koetter) is scary though
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:35 pm
  • after careful research... Throwdown style (seeing age n stuff)

Petersen and Wilcox are the guys I want for the HC job.

They're still saying that if Wilcox doesn't get the HC offer, he's bolting to USC with Fark.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:35 pm
  • Sark was Teflon right up until the very end here despite the same record year after year. If a bit of fan criticism factored into his decision, that just makes me extra glad he's gone.

Let him have the same record a few years in a row in his dream job at USC and see if there isn't blood. Heck there's blood now probably because USC fans are underwhelmed by the hire and he hasn't yet stepped foot in the door.

He'll have huge advantages at USC, but there'll be pressure as well. He won't be able to make zero progress in the win column for years and still get the kid-glove treatment from fans and media. I expect he'll probably do okay there like any decent coach would but I'm not concerned we're in for another Pete Carroll dynasty.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:37 pm
  • kearly wrote:I wonder if Danny O'neil and some angst-ridden fans of like-mind calling for Sarks' head, at the end of UW's best season in 10+ years, factored in this decision? It's pretty hard to turn down such a rare opportunity for a fanbase that doesn't even want you anymore, despite turning the program around.

Could be, but there aren't many more sought after or higher profile college HC positions than USC. My guess is that he was going to go to USC given the opportunity no matter what, and really, can you blame him? There aren't very many people that would turn down a pretty major promotion to stay at a lesser position even if things were going great at their current position.
    Football Outsiders wrote:The Seahawks have a third-and-long defensive DVOA of -102.1%. Seriously, when Seattle knows you have to pass, you are completely terribly, violently screwed.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:39 pm
  • This is fantastic news. Unless Todd Graham bolts for Texas or A&M or something, we might win the South and get a shot at a Rose Bowl two or three more times before USC wises up and fires Sarkisian.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:39 pm
  • I don't want Wilcox as the HC, just be Sark 2.0. I want an experience HC< not somebody who has to learn on the job.
    "Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:41 pm
  • Scott Enyeart ‏@ScottEnyeart 57s
    Have heard that UW has already interviewed a particular candidate to replace Sark, working on a getting a second source.

No RT @CronkiteSean: @ScottEnyeart is it someone currently on their staff
    Last edited by razgriz737 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:42 pm
  • I'm surprised no one has brought up Deruyter. Took 4-9 to 10-1 in 2 years
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:43 pm
  • razgriz737 wrote:
    Scott Enyeart ‏@ScottEnyeart 57s
    Have heard that UW has already interviewed a particular candidate to replace Sark, working on a getting a second source.

No RT @CronkiteSean: @ScottEnyeart is it someone currently on their staff

fetters says Mora is in Seattle. Interesting
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:43 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:@TroyWilliams_3 Don't ever commit cus of a coach. Faker then a 3 dollar bill

I do feel bad for those players that committed because of him and his staff, but sh*t happens bruh!
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:46 pm
  • MLOhawks wrote:I don't want Wilcox as the HC, just be Sark 2.0. I want an experience HC< not somebody who has to learn on the job.

You mean someone like Tyrone Willingham or Keith Gilbertson?
    Football Outsiders wrote:The Seahawks have a third-and-long defensive DVOA of -102.1%. Seriously, when Seattle knows you have to pass, you are completely terribly, violently screwed.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:46 pm
  • davidonmi wrote:I'm surprised no one has brought up Deruyter. Took 4-9 to 10-1 in 2 years

I did. Not that its an original idea or anything. I was a Fresno season tix holder before moving. (It was a social thing.)
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:47 pm
  • How bout Hugh Millen?
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:49 pm
  • Tech Worlds wrote:How bout Hugh Millen?

En Oh.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:53 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    @TroyWilliams_3 Don't ever commit cus of a coach. Faker then a 3 dollar bill

Quit crying kid. If you are actually good then you get upgraded from UW to USC just like Sark did.

I'm pretty shocked though. They said they wouldn't hire from the Carroll coaching tree and sure enough now we have Sark.

I get it though. The pickings were slim and they'd have to wait till the end of the NFL season to get a Del Rio or the like.

The good news is he is a So Cal guy and knows the recruiting in the area. Wish Coach O would have stayed on the staff.

However I like other USC fans am underwhelmed. But we were all underwhelmed with Carroll as well.
    USChawk
    NET Rookie

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:54 pm
  • Could U-Dub get Kevin Sumlin to leave A&M, or am I just crazy with that?

I ask this because I am a huge fan of this guy as a coach and wanted him over Todd Graham badly.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:57 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:Could U-Dub get Kevin Sumlin to leave A&M, or am I just crazy with that?

I ask this because I am a huge fan of this guy as a coach and wanted him over Todd Graham badly.

He just signed a new deal this weekend.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:58 pm
  • they will go after mora. If they miss Petersen will be hired. 100%
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:00 pm
  • USChawk wrote:JSeahawks wrote:

Quit crying kid. If you are actually good then you get upgraded from UW to USC just like Sark did.

and sit out a season? FOH

He would risk his career to sit out a season at USC and risk any kind of future he may of had.

Have fun with your .500 records though.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:01 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:Could U-Dub get Kevin Sumlin to leave A&M, or am I just crazy with that?

He signed a major extension, in large part because USC was about to back up the Brinks truck.

In short no Sumlin wouldnt have gone to Washington
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:01 pm
  • You guys should go after Helfrich. :)
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:03 pm
  • davidonmi wrote:they will go after mora. If they miss Petersen will be hired. 100%

<<<< BSU guy here. I don't think Petersen will leave. He has repeatedly stated he hates the media spotlight that comes with coaching and that's just in Boise.

I think that if there ever was a time he would leave, now is it though.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:03 pm
  • Scott Enyeart ‏@ScottEnyeart 1m
    Seattle's @SportsRadioKJR is reporting that Justin Wilcox is heading to USC with Sark. Wasn't offered the UW job for those wondering.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:04 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:You guys should go after Helfrich. :)

Nah, we need him to destroy Oregon a little bit more.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:04 pm
  • If I was a betting man i'd bet that Petersen is the new head coach at UW. And Wilcox is the new head coach at Boise State.

This is going to start a lot of domino's falling, will be interesting to see where everybody lands.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:05 pm
  • Matthew Barkley ‏@MattBarkley 27m
    Mannn.. “@McMurphyESPN: Ed Orgeron ”outraged“ didn’t receive USC job & resigns. OC Clay Helton expected to coach bowl, source told @ESPN”

I can see why Orgeron is upset. If they were going to stick with the Carroll tree, why not just give the job to Orgeron? I feel like this is a lose/lose for everyone (except fans of other Pac-12 teams).
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:07 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:
    Matthew Barkley ‏@MattBarkley 27m
    Mannn.. “@McMurphyESPN: Ed Orgeron ”outraged“ didn’t receive USC job & resigns. OC Clay Helton expected to coach bowl, source told @ESPN”

I can see why Orgeron is upset. If they were going to stick with the Carroll tree, why not just give the job to Orgeron? I feel like this is a lose/lose for everyone (except fans of other Pac-12 teams).

So outraged that he takes an assistant job here? Pretty please?
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:08 pm
  • @InsideUSC: A source tells me Ed Orgeron has applied for the Florida Atlantic job #USC

Not that it was really relevant to UW, but to note.
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:10 pm
  • USChawk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:

and sit out a season? FOH

He would risk his career to sit out a season at USC and risk any kind of future he may of had.

Have fun with your .500 records though.

Sorry I don't keep up on UW I thought he was a recruit that had committed not on the team.

Also Kiffen won 10 games at USC. Just about anyone could coach them to be better then 500. Except for Hackett at least.
    USChawk
    NET Rookie

PreviousNext

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:16 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information