For Or Against Sark?

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
That is the question. :3-1:

Paying witness to the conviction and energy with which Sarkisian delivered his message that day, set against a purple-and-gold backdrop for the very first time, has become that very thing that keeps the man employed. It is that crutch fans lean on when mulling over all the reasons to keep a coach nicknamed “Seven-Win Steve” in control of the school’s premier athletic program. Hope, it seems, is a powerful motivator.

At the same time, however, the lofty vision of future greatness presented in that very press conference has prompted fans to question whether Sarkisian is indeed the right man for the job. It has been nearly five years to the day since Steve Sarkisian was introduced to us. The Huskies have not yet sniffed a Rose Bowl, nor a Pac-12 championship. Fans find themselves asking, “If not now, then when?” It’s a legitimate question that has not yet been answered.

http://seattlesportsnet.com/2013/11/21/ ... fire-sark/

Throwdown

Reaction score
We'll see, he drops one against OSU or WSU, then I want him canned right after the loss, there's no reason UW should lose those games.

kearly

Reaction score
Throwdown":36kav1pq said:
We'll see, he drops one against OSU or WSU, then I want him canned right after the loss, there's no reason UW should lose those games.

I would be surprised if UW won both those games. Miles just isn't a very good QB, and even if Price plays he'd be playing hurt. Price doesn't play anywhere near his best when he's hurt.

Really a shame how snakebit UW has been this year. Injuries and fluke bad performances at critical times, and now suddenly the #1 most penalized team IN ALL OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL out of nowhere, which has cost us points, and arguably, a game or two. They are putting up an insane yardage differential and could still finish 6-6 or 7-5.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Throwdown":1rcyi4st said:

OSU and WSU are playing better than UW. They could easily lose one or both games, and it wouldn't be all on Sark.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":313hs3b5 said:
Throwdown":313hs3b5 said:

OSU and WSU are playing better than UW. They could easily lose one or both games, and it wouldn't be all on Sark.

How?

Subzero717

Reaction score
Coug, explain how it wouldn't be Sarks fault? It would be entirely his fault. He is the GM, HC, CEO. Its all on him.

You're not one of those conspiracy theorists that blames the tiger for that stupid stunt Sark pulled before the LSU game are you?

Subzero717

Reaction score
Coug, explain how it wouldn't be Sarks fault? It would be entirely his fault. He is the GM, HC, CEO. Its all on him.

You're not one of those conspiracy theorists that blames the tiger for that stupid stunt Sark pulled before the LSU game are you?

kearly

Reaction score
UW (with a healthy Price) is playing better than OSU and WSU. If not for Price's injury I'd feel pretty good about UW finishing 8-4.

Frankly I am stunned that 7-5 or 6-6 is even a possibility. UW was 4 and freaking 0 with the #4 offense, the #1 RB, one of the higher QBs in passer rating, and one of the top defenses. Other than the expected blowouts vs. Cal and Colorado, the last 6 weeks pretty much couldn't have been any tougher for UW fans. I don't blame Sark for almost any of it, but this is obviously the toughest season for UW fans in a long time, and that's saying something, so I get the angst.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I'm doing my damnedest to quell my angst against Sark. I certainly have my opinions...and doubts, but also understand that I am far from qualified in understanding every nuance of a HC (at this level). I'd like to see him toughen up. I'd like to see him get in the face of the undisciplined player as well as the flag throwing official with head-in-ass. I'd like to beef up both lines (duh) and limit cute plays, depending more on power football, Huskie football.

So if I look closely at my wish list, I see all these things are not overly difficult to implement, or correct. That aside, I don't think Sark's going anywhere, so I might as well just STHU about it.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
As an outsider the one thing that I don't like about Sark is that he seems to be a bit of an excuse maker rather then holding himself and the team accountable, which would drive me nuts as a fan.

I also think he might be a little bit too much of a nice guy (i'm seriously worrying the same thing about Helfrich at this point).

If I were a UW fan id be pretty torn on the subject. You could do better then Sark, but you could also do a hell of a lot worse and making a change just to make a change could easily back fire.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
7 win Steve.

If he loses to either wsu or the bowl game I would like him gone.

I need to see progression. Against to top teams he does not measure up.

This season was more of the same. Unfulfilled promise.

justafan

Reaction score
I heard one of the local commentators make the statement that I agree with.Its a bigger mistake firing a coach too early than firing one a year too late.
I would like to see him get the better lineman that seem to slip away from him and I would like to see him get the penalties under control, but where we are now versus where we were when he took over I dont have a lot of complaints.Oh and he hasnt beaten the Ducks yet that pisses me off more than anything

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
What confuses me is how some think it is certain that bringing in another coach would take this team over the edge. Sark took over the UW program when it was at rock bottom. What he has done is impressive in a lot of people's eyes.

I think what justafan posted is dead-on. I think it would be a bigger mistake to fire him early and lose the continuity in the program than to take it another year and see if he can get some progression or not. This is Sark's fifth season, where HIS recruits are finally seniors. He and the other coaches got these guys to come to UW after atrocious seasons. I don't know too much about recruiting classes from the late 2000's and Sarks first couple years, but I can't imagine them being notably great classes. I think he's gotten the most out of players that probably wouldn't make it at bigger programs.

What I'm trying to get at is that he's crafted a competitive team in the conference that has gone to three straight bowl games with limited talent. UW hadn't been to a bowl game in SEVEN years before Sark. Why fire the coach who has brought the team their best accomplishments over the last decade?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":30x4dujs said:
What confuses me is how some think it is certain that bringing in another coach would take this team over the edge. Sark took over the UW program when it was at rock bottom. What he has done is impressive in a lot of people's eyes.

I think what justafan posted is dead-on. I think it would be a bigger mistake to fire him early and lose the continuity in the program than to take it another year and see if he can get some progression or not. This is Sark's fifth season, where HIS recruits are finally seniors. He and the other coaches got these guys to come to UW after atrocious seasons. I don't know too much about recruiting classes from the late 2000's and Sarks first couple years, but I can't imagine them being notably great classes. I think he's gotten the most out of players that probably wouldn't make it at bigger programs.

What I'm trying to get at is that he's crafted a competitive team in the conference that has gone to three straight bowl games with limited talent. UW hadn't been to a bowl game in SEVEN years before Sark. Why fire the coach who has brought the team their best accomplishments over the last decade?
If you are happy with non bcs bowls, nothing at all.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
No one is happy with being an average team. I just don't know if hiring someone else is the best option.

I want UW to be in a BCS game, but only eight teams a year go to BCS games. As of right now, I don't expect UW to dominate the PAC-12 and get to a BCS game competing against Oregon, Stanford and USC.

I think being patient with coaches, especially in college, especially in Washington, is something that too few people value. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I admit I am not nearly invested in UW football as I am the Seahawks. I'm sure there are some out there that can actually give detail on why Sark should or shouldn't be fired.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I wish we were better but I don't blame Sark. He's done a great job in recruiting but is having a tough time translating that to consistent play. You watch games like the beaver, boise and even the Stanford game and think... hey, we're special, then games like Arizona St. where we just get crushed for no reason.

Sign me up for a few more years of Sark.

Tical21

Reaction score
No chance they get rid of him this season. Zero. They could lose the bowl game by 50.