Johnny Manziel better than Russell Wilson!

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
Johnny Manziel better than Russell Wilson!
Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:27 am

  • Did you miss the "can be"?
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    User avatar
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4169
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:55 am


  • Johnny Football owes Russ a ton right now. Without RW doing what he's done, and making scouts look stupid left and right, Manziel would be getting a lot more people questioning him about his size.
    User avatar
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 4644
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:35 am
    Location: Seattle, WA


  • I say no, simply because I don't see Manziel being half the quality person Russell Wilson is. At least the media paints this picture of him being kind of a punk, and judging from his actions this last year or two, I have to buy into that on some level. Who puts a blunt in their heisman trophy?

    Maturity goes a long way in the NFL, and "Johnny Football" has a lot of growing up to do.

    Entertaining football player to watch though.
    Image

    Go Hawks.
    User avatar
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2222
    Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:06 am


  • No. Read the article, not the text in the link. It actually says Russell Wilson is no Johnny Manziel...
    Seahawks4eva
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 12
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:12 am


  • SeaTown81 wrote:Johnny Football owes Russ a ton right now. Without RW doing what he's done, and making scouts look stupid left and right, Manziel would be getting a lot more people questioning him about his size.

    How tall is he?

    If he's not at least 5' 10 5/8" he can't be an NFL starting QB.

    He could be a career back-up, however. :laugh:
    your Superbowl XLVIII Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    User avatar
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3106
    Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:59 am


  • What makes Russell Wilson special resides in his head and heart.

    Frankly, I don't see it in Johnny Manziel. Not a dig at Manziel, I just don't see it in any other QB period.
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 886
    Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:38 pm


  • He has the physical tools to be a good quarterback, but more importantly i question his mental strength, his discipline, his dedication, etc.

    In more cases than not, what makes a great quarterback great is their dedication and discipline to their craft. Being film junkies, studying their opponents and situations, and working on their skill set. Everyday. I think manziel would rather study the girls ass in the club.

    Scouts also thought highly of jamarcus russell, Ryan leaf, etc
    akscoundrel
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 164
    Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:11 am


  • The ONE QUOTE that entire article is based on doesn't even say that.

    "If Russell Wilson can take a team to the Super Bowl, Manziel can do all that and more," said the source.


    That's literally the only quote in the article.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3955
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


  • He might actually be the love child of the old version of Cam Newton and Russell Wilson, honestly.
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 19226
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


  • Unfortunately, Johnny Football is about as immature as you'd expect a 20 year old with the world at his feet to be.

    Between the Manning Passing Academy where he "overslept" and reports came out that he was hungover, taking money for autographs, kicked out of frat parties and getting arrested in 2012; it's obvious he's got some growing up to do.

    RW has it all going on. He's got the athletic ability, the maturity level, the smarts. He's the consummate pro. Johnny Football sounds like all he wants to do is party and play football, and in no particular order.

    Some of you may not believe this, but I believe it to be 100% true...

    A kid I went to high school with went down to Florida during the summer for vacation. When he was there, and I believe it was South Beach (I could be wrong on the exact locale), he was walking down the beach and there was a large group of people hanging out, drinking, dancing, partying. He joined the group and walked to the middle of the crowd. My buddy bumped into a guy, not overly large, and apologized for running into him. The guy told him "no problem," and they struck up a conversation about the party on the beach. A couple minutes go by, and my buddy, Neil, introduces himself and the other guy introduces himself, "my name is Johnny." Neil looks at the guy for a couple seconds and says "holy cow, you're Johnny Football!" Johnny replied and said "yeah, I'm Johnny Football." They continued to make small talk until one of Johnny's friends came up and told him to "take a hit of this."

    Neil looked over and Johnny's friend was holding his hand out with a line of coke. Mr. Football didn't even hesitate, leaned over and took the line. Immediately there after, Johnny and his cocaine-wielding friend took off out of the group and my buddy Neil didn't see him after that. After realizing what had happened, Neil left the crowd and proceeded to call pretty much all of his close friends telling them he met Johnny Manziel and then watched him snort a line of coke.

    Hilarious.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1081
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Bellinghome


  • Johnny Manziel needs to be my new friend
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 19226
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


  • Pppppfffffppfff.

    No.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    User avatar
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator
     
    Posts: 10438
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm
    Location: With a white girl


  • I think he'll be more like rg3 then Russell Wilson. His body is not made to take the nfl pounding. He's not only short but he's small as well. He might light the league on fire for a short while, but I think he'll flame out pretty quickly.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18619
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


  • onanygivensunday wrote:...........He could be a career back-up, however. :laugh:

    Yeah I'm assuming Bill Polian told you that eh? :D
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

    Image

    Proud member of the 38 club
    User avatar
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12063
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • The only common ground Manziel and Wilson share is both are short and both are mobile.

    After that, Wilson is far and away the superior talent across the board. Physically. Mentally. All of it.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 5209
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


  • Manziel needs to prove that he is coachable before he can hold a candle to Wilson. The team that signs that kid better have infinite patience!
    #NEXTMANUP
    User avatar
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2605
    Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:15 am


  • There's no doubt that at the same age and after 2 years of college ball, Johnny is ahead.

    And just because RW has the start of a great career in the NFL doesn't mean that Johnny can't also excel at the next level.

    Will Johnny be as fortunate to go to a team with a coach and system like RW has in Seattle?

    We shall see in 2-3 years.
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    User avatar
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4169
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:55 am


  • Evil_Shenanigans wrote:Manziel needs to prove that he is coachable before he can hold a candle to Wilson. The team that signs that kid better have infinite patience!


    What are you using as a reason that he is not "coachable"?

    His rush attempts are about half of what they were last year because the coaches wanted him to stay in the pocket more. Is that someone who is coachable?
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    User avatar
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4169
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:55 am


  • JGfromtheNW wrote:Unfortunately, Johnny Football is about as immature as you'd expect a 20 year old with the world at his feet to be.

    Between the Manning Passing Academy where he "overslept" and reports came out that he was hungover, taking money for autographs, kicked out of frat parties and getting arrested in 2012; it's obvious he's got some growing up to do.

    RW has it all going on. He's got the athletic ability, the maturity level, the smarts. He's the consummate pro. Johnny Football sounds like all he wants to do is party and play football, and in no particular order.

    Some of you may not believe this, but I believe it to be 100% true...

    A kid I went to high school with went down to Florida during the summer for vacation. When he was there, and I believe it was South Beach (I could be wrong on the exact locale), he was walking down the beach and there was a large group of people hanging out, drinking, dancing, partying. He joined the group and walked to the middle of the crowd. My buddy bumped into a guy, not overly large, and apologized for running into him. The guy told him "no problem," and they struck up a conversation about the party on the beach. A couple minutes go by, and my buddy, Neil, introduces himself and the other guy introduces himself, "my name is Johnny." Neil looks at the guy for a couple seconds and says "holy cow, you're Johnny Football!" Johnny replied and said "yeah, I'm Johnny Football." They continued to make small talk until one of Johnny's friends came up and told him to "take a hit of this."

    Neil looked over and Johnny's friend was holding his hand out with a line of coke. Mr. Football didn't even hesitate, leaned over and took the line. Immediately there after, Johnny and his cocaine-wielding friend took off out of the group and my buddy Neil didn't see him after that. After realizing what had happened, Neil left the crowd and proceeded to call pretty much all of his close friends telling them he met Johnny Manziel and then watched him snort a line of coke.

    Hilarious.



    You know, one does not just simply "hand over" a line of coke in the palm of your hand. Not that I do coke (used too before I got a great job) but this is what leads me to believe this story is false. Pretty representational of most "party" football players if true...


    just sayin...;)
    User avatar
    RynoHawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 276
    Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:19 am
    Location: Seattle


  • When will these jackasses understand that talent and tools are only about half of what makes a great NFL qb. The other half includes dedications, hard work, eagerness to learn, intellegence, patients, decision making, leadership, teamateship, etc.

    Manziel might have the talent and tools. So does Kaep, RGIII, Newton, Vick, Vince Young, Pryr, etc... How many of these guys are at RWs level???! NONE!! Reason being that they dont have the other half of what it takes to be a great NFL qb.

    Will Manziel leave his girls, home, family, partying, vacations, fame, etc for this game like RW has?
    Will Manziel watch every snap of every game over and over again and take heavy notes like RW does?
    Will Manziel take notes even on other positions players and send them to his teamates like RW does?
    Will Manziel organize offseason practices to actually improve team chemistry and not for party perposes, like RW did?
    Will Manziel take off a day every week to visit sick children like RW does?
    Will Manziel be the at the offices before the janitors arrive and leave after they leave in the offseason like RW did?

    The answer to all these is simply, my a** he will! :lol:
    Seahawkx
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 354
    Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:32 am


  • Seahawkx wrote:When will these jackasses understand that talent and tools are only about half of what makes a great NFL qb. The other half includes dedications, hard work, eagerness to learn, intellegence, patients, decision making, leadership, teamateship, etc.

    Manziel might have the talent and tools. So does Kaep, RGIII, Newton, Vick, Vince Young, Pryr, etc... How many of these guys are at RWs level???! NONE!! Reason being that they dont have the other half of what it takes to be a great NFL qb.

    Will Manziel leave his girls, home, family, partying, vacations, fame, etc for this game like RW has?
    Will Manziel watch every snap of every game over and over again and take heavy notes like RW does?
    Will Manziel take notes even on other positions players and send them to his teamates like RW does?
    Will Manziel organize offseason practices to actually improve team chemistry and not for party perposes, like RW did?
    Will Manziel take off a day every week to visit sick children like RW does?
    Will Manziel be the at the offices before the janitors arrive and leave after they leave in the offseason like RW did?

    The answer to all these is simply, my a** he will! :lol:


    I am so glad we have someone who knows all about the work/time/study habits of both.
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    User avatar
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4169
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:55 am


  • Manziel is a lot more like Fran Tarkenton than Wilson is. Wilson is a little more athletic, has a better arm, is a bit safer with the ball, and is a better person. Manziel does have a couple inches of height on Wilson and that isn't completely irrelevant. Manziel also has the best on field intangibles of any QB in history, IMO. If Russell Wilson is magical, Manziel is a freaking sorcerer or warlock- a guy makes plays that just shouldn't happen and does it like they are routine. He's done it so often and so consistently that only a fool would pass it off as luck or fluke.

    I seriously watched Wilson's college highlight reel a few hundred times BEFORE he was drafted by Seattle. He was so exciting and fun to watch. There would be days I'd watch those videos for hours on end. But I've often wondered if Manziel is even more dangerous than Wilson was, even though he really shouldn't be. He's even more of an on-field intangibles QB than Wilson was.

    Even the best prospects can still crash and burn for whatever reason, but if we are talking about the Rams next QB, I say "anyone but Manziel." With Manziel and that defense, Seattle would struggle to split the season series every season. I really believe that, even though I think Seattle is a dynasty in the making.

    Good to see an NFL scout actually praising Manziel for a change. Manziel has been as cool to hate among scouts as he is with tabloid loving football fans.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11276
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


  • How big are his hands ?

    /asking for a friend
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    User avatar
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *
     
    Posts: 3060
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:37 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


  • DTexHawk wrote:
    Seahawkx wrote:When will these jackasses understand that talent and tools are only about half of what makes a great NFL qb. The other half includes dedications, hard work, eagerness to learn, intellegence, patients, decision making, leadership, teamateship, etc.

    Manziel might have the talent and tools. So does Kaep, RGIII, Newton, Vick, Vince Young, Pryr, etc... How many of these guys are at RWs level???! NONE!! Reason being that they dont have the other half of what it takes to be a great NFL qb.

    Will Manziel leave his girls, home, family, partying, vacations, fame, etc for this game like RW has?
    Will Manziel watch every snap of every game over and over again and take heavy notes like RW does?
    Will Manziel take notes even on other positions players and send them to his teamates like RW does?
    Will Manziel organize offseason practices to actually improve team chemistry and not for party perposes, like RW did?
    Will Manziel take off a day every week to visit sick children like RW does?
    Will Manziel be the at the offices before the janitors arrive and leave after they leave in the offseason like RW did?

    The answer to all these is simply, my a** he will! :lol:


    I am so glad we have someone who knows all about the work/time/study habits of both.


    I really hope your thoughful reply made you feel good.
    Seahawkx
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 354
    Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:32 am


  • JGfromtheNW wrote:Unfortunately, Johnny Football is about as immature as you'd expect a 20 year old with the world at his feet to be.

    Between the Manning Passing Academy where he "overslept" and reports came out that he was hungover, taking money for autographs, kicked out of frat parties and getting arrested in 2012; it's obvious he's got some growing up to do.

    RW has it all going on. He's got the athletic ability, the maturity level, the smarts. He's the consummate pro. Johnny Football sounds like all he wants to do is party and play football, and in no particular order.

    Some of you may not believe this, but I believe it to be 100% true...

    A kid I went to high school with went down to Florida during the summer for vacation. When he was there, and I believe it was South Beach (I could be wrong on the exact locale), he was walking down the beach and there was a large group of people hanging out, drinking, dancing, partying. He joined the group and walked to the middle of the crowd. My buddy bumped into a guy, not overly large, and apologized for running into him. The guy told him "no problem," and they struck up a conversation about the party on the beach. A couple minutes go by, and my buddy, Neil, introduces himself and the other guy introduces himself, "my name is Johnny." Neil looks at the guy for a couple seconds and says "holy cow, you're Johnny Football!" Johnny replied and said "yeah, I'm Johnny Football." They continued to make small talk until one of Johnny's friends came up and told him to "take a hit of this."

    Neil looked over and Johnny's friend was holding his hand out with a line of coke. Mr. Football didn't even hesitate, leaned over and took the line. Immediately there after, Johnny and his cocaine-wielding friend took off out of the group and my buddy Neil didn't see him after that. After realizing what had happened, Neil left the crowd and proceeded to call pretty much all of his close friends telling them he met Johnny Manziel and then watched him snort a line of coke.

    Hilarious.


    Isn't that what happened to Todd Marinovich
    rjas77
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 145
    Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:29 am


  • Seahawkx wrote:
    DTexHawk wrote:
    Seahawkx wrote:When will these jackasses understand that talent and tools are only about half of what makes a great NFL qb. The other half includes dedications, hard work, eagerness to learn, intellegence, patients, decision making, leadership, teamateship, etc.

    Manziel might have the talent and tools. So does Kaep, RGIII, Newton, Vick, Vince Young, Pryr, etc... How many of these guys are at RWs level???! NONE!! Reason being that they dont have the other half of what it takes to be a great NFL qb.

    Will Manziel leave his girls, home, family, partying, vacations, fame, etc for this game like RW has?
    Will Manziel watch every snap of every game over and over again and take heavy notes like RW does?
    Will Manziel take notes even on other positions players and send them to his teamates like RW does?
    Will Manziel organize offseason practices to actually improve team chemistry and not for party perposes, like RW did?
    Will Manziel take off a day every week to visit sick children like RW does?
    Will Manziel be the at the offices before the janitors arrive and leave after they leave in the offseason like RW did?

    The answer to all these is simply, my a** he will! :lol:


    I am so glad we have someone who knows all about the work/time/study habits of both.


    I really hope your thoughful reply made you feel good.


    My thoughtful reply was made possible by your list of hypothetical questions of which no one knows the answer to (and really will not define whether Johnny is successful at the next level or not, even if he is identical to Wilson in those areas), but you apparently do.
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    User avatar
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4169
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:55 am


  • rjas77 wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:Unfortunately, Johnny Football is about as immature as you'd expect a 20 year old with the world at his feet to be.

    Between the Manning Passing Academy where he "overslept" and reports came out that he was hungover, taking money for autographs, kicked out of frat parties and getting arrested in 2012; it's obvious he's got some growing up to do.

    RW has it all going on. He's got the athletic ability, the maturity level, the smarts. He's the consummate pro. Johnny Football sounds like all he wants to do is party and play football, and in no particular order.

    Some of you may not believe this, but I believe it to be 100% true...

    A kid I went to high school with went down to Florida during the summer for vacation. When he was there, and I believe it was South Beach (I could be wrong on the exact locale), he was walking down the beach and there was a large group of people hanging out, drinking, dancing, partying. He joined the group and walked to the middle of the crowd. My buddy bumped into a guy, not overly large, and apologized for running into him. The guy told him "no problem," and they struck up a conversation about the party on the beach. A couple minutes go by, and my buddy, Neil, introduces himself and the other guy introduces himself, "my name is Johnny." Neil looks at the guy for a couple seconds and says "holy cow, you're Johnny Football!" Johnny replied and said "yeah, I'm Johnny Football." They continued to make small talk until one of Johnny's friends came up and told him to "take a hit of this."

    Neil looked over and Johnny's friend was holding his hand out with a line of coke. Mr. Football didn't even hesitate, leaned over and took the line. Immediately there after, Johnny and his cocaine-wielding friend took off out of the group and my buddy Neil didn't see him after that. After realizing what had happened, Neil left the crowd and proceeded to call pretty much all of his close friends telling them he met Johnny Manziel and then watched him snort a line of coke.

    Hilarious.


    Isn't that what happened to Todd Marinovich


    Yeah I'm pretty sure he got arrested in college for coke. There are stories of Marinovich smoking crack in the locker room during half-time when he was in the CFL and cutting his hand with the crack pipe... smh.

    Dude was an addict and let it destroy him.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1081
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Bellinghome


  • kearly wrote:Manziel is a lot more like Fran Tarkenton than Wilson is. Wilson is a little more athletic, has a better arm, is a bit safer with the ball, and is a better person. Manziel does have a couple inches of height on Wilson and that isn't completely irrelevant. Manziel also has the best on field intangibles of any QB in history, IMO. If Russell Wilson is magical, Manziel is a freaking sorcerer or warlock- a guy makes plays that just shouldn't happen and does it like they are routine. He's done it so often and so consistently that only a fool would pass it off as luck or fluke.

    I seriously watched Wilson's college highlight reel a few hundred times BEFORE he was drafted by Seattle. He was so exciting and fun to watch. There would be days I'd watch those videos for hours on end. But I've often wondered if Manziel is even more dangerous than Wilson was, even though he really shouldn't be. He's even more of an on-field intangibles QB than Wilson was.

    Even the best prospects can still crash and burn for whatever reason, but if we are talking about the Rams next QB, I say "anyone but Manziel." With Manziel and that defense, Seattle would struggle to split the season series every season. I really believe that, even though I think Seattle is a dynasty in the making.

    Good to see an NFL scout actually praising Manziel for a change. Manziel has been as cool to hate among scouts as he is with tabloid loving football fans.



    Jeff Fisher stuck coaching another immature, "party first" QB like Manziel!!! Please let that happen!

    The Rams would be burned to the ground within 2 seasons...
    User avatar
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 876
    Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:57 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ


  • SeaTown81 wrote:Johnny Football owes Russ a ton right now. Without RW doing what he's done, and making scouts look stupid left and right, Manziel would be getting a lot more people questioning him about his size.


    Thats for sure
    Image
    User avatar
    NavySeaHawk
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 68
    Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:20 pm


  • DTexHawk wrote:There's no doubt that at the same age and after 2 years of college ball, Johnny is ahead.

    And just because RW has the start of a great career in the NFL doesn't mean that Johnny can't also excel at the next level.

    Will Johnny be as fortunate to go to a team with a coach and system like RW has in Seattle?

    We shall see in 2-3 years.


    Uhhh...no doubt to you because you probably never saw RW play college ball. His first two years he only became the first ever freshman QB named 1st team All-ACC and set an NCAA record for most consecutive passes w/o an interception. I know you're from Texas, but that Kool-Aid you're on is a little strong.
    MarylandHawk
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 18
    Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:23 pm


  • MarylandHawk wrote:
    DTexHawk wrote:There's no doubt that at the same age and after 2 years of college ball, Johnny is ahead.

    And just because RW has the start of a great career in the NFL doesn't mean that Johnny can't also excel at the next level.

    Will Johnny be as fortunate to go to a team with a coach and system like RW has in Seattle?

    We shall see in 2-3 years.


    Uhhh...no doubt to you because you probably never saw RW play college ball. His first two years he only became the first ever freshman QB named 1st team All-ACC and set an NCAA record for most consecutive passes w/o an interception. I know you're from Texas, but that Kool-Aid you're on is a little strong.


    No, I looked at video and stats at a comparable age, and there is this little thing called the Heisman that Manziel won as a freshman QB.

    Seems like those that know more than I thought he was the best player in college football as a freshman and he has improved this year over last.

    Yes, I know I have a bias towards Manziel, do you think maybe Hawk fans may have a little bias as well (and can admit it)?

    I would like nothing better than Wilson/Manziel to be Manning/Brady for the next decade or so. Don't see why so many get upset that there could be another great QB coming into the NFL who could possibly be better than Wilson.
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    User avatar
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4169
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:55 am


  • DTexHawk wrote:
    MarylandHawk wrote:
    DTexHawk wrote:There's no doubt that at the same age and after 2 years of college ball, Johnny is ahead.

    And just because RW has the start of a great career in the NFL doesn't mean that Johnny can't also excel at the next level.

    Will Johnny be as fortunate to go to a team with a coach and system like RW has in Seattle?

    We shall see in 2-3 years.


    Uhhh...no doubt to you because you probably never saw RW play college ball. His first two years he only became the first ever freshman QB named 1st team All-ACC and set an NCAA record for most consecutive passes w/o an interception. I know you're from Texas, but that Kool-Aid you're on is a little strong.


    No, I looked at video and stats at a comparable age, and there is this little thing called the Heisman that Manziel won as a freshman QB.

    Seems like those that know more than I thought he was the best player in college football as a freshman and he has improved this year over last.

    Yes, I know I have a bias towards Manziel, do you think maybe Hawk fans may have a little bias as well (and can admit it)?

    I would like nothing better than Wilson/Manziel to be Manning/Brady for the next decade or so. Don't see why so many get upset that there could be another great QB coming into the NFL who could possibly be better than Wilson.


    I really could care less because I like Manziel. However he has a ton of Tebow factor that I'm not sure translates to the next level. One example is the throw in the Bama game that comes after scrambling for what seemed like ten minutes, off his back leg falling backwards, a defender draped on him and chucks a 40 yard duck into triple. coverage and Evans comes down with it.

    We also know that especially for QBs college success and pro success are two different things. Heismans don't necessarily translate to Lombardis either. Why can't we just appreciate both for what they do?
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9300
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


  • Hasselbeck wrote:The only common ground Manziel and Wilson share is both are short and both are mobile.

    After that, Wilson is far and away the superior talent across the board. Physically. Mentally. All of it.


    Somewhere between the start of last season and now, you clearly have experienced an epiphany! :-)

    Interestingly, Cboom hasn't so much as said a single positive thing about RW to date.
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

    Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    User avatar
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2731
    Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:01 pm


  • http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/columnists/rick-gosselin/20131120-nfl-talent-evaluators-texas-am-qb-johnny-manziel-has-super-bowl-potential-larry-bird-instincts.ece

    "That’s why the NFL is taking a longer look at the game tape of Manziel than what a tape measure or scale may say. The game is changing. The pocket passers are giving way to the more mobile quarterbacks. Robert Griffin III, Colin Kaepernick, Cam Newton, Terrelle Pryor and Wilson are forcing the NFL to change its thinking about quarterbacks.
    Size is no longer the issue that it once was in April.
    “Ask Nick Saban how big Manziel is,” another NFL talent evaluator said."



    "Manziel may not be the first overall pick of the 2014 draft if he comes out. But don’t look for him to slide too far. The more the NFL studies Manziel, the less it will worry about his size. He plays, he wins -- and so will the team that drafts him."
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    User avatar
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4169
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:55 am



  • "Tebow Magic" is about as similar to Manziel magic as it is to Wilson magic. You watch Tebow, his big plays are usually just improbable runs. Tebow was not running wild to extend a passing play the way that Manziel and Wilson do. Wilson and Manziel are cerebral QBs that run only when it makes sense to run. Tebow is a RB at QB.

    As far as Manziel throwing up prayers and having them answered, that's a trait Wilson does not share. However, I've seen the same tendency from Drew Brees, and it's part of the reason that Brees interception totals are higher than the other elite QBs. So you can expect Manziel to throw picks in the NFL, but I don't mind it too much because it's a sign that he trusts his WRs, and he's got the talent to overcome occasional mishaps.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11276
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


  • kearly wrote:Manziel is a lot more like Fran Tarkenton than Wilson is. Wilson is a little more athletic, has a better arm, is a bit safer with the ball, and is a better person. Manziel does have a couple inches of height on Wilson and that isn't completely irrelevant. Manziel also has the best on field intangibles of any QB in history, IMO. If Russell Wilson is magical, Manziel is a freaking sorcerer or warlock- a guy makes plays that just shouldn't happen and does it like they are routine. He's done it so often and so consistently that only a fool would pass it off as luck or fluke.

    I seriously watched Wilson's college highlight reel a few hundred times BEFORE he was drafted by Seattle. He was so exciting and fun to watch. There would be days I'd watch those videos for hours on end. But I've often wondered if Manziel is even more dangerous than Wilson was, even though he really shouldn't be. He's even more of an on-field intangibles QB than Wilson was.

    Even the best prospects can still crash and burn for whatever reason, but if we are talking about the Rams next QB, I say "anyone but Manziel." With Manziel and that defense, Seattle would struggle to split the season series every season. I really believe that, even though I think Seattle is a dynasty in the making.

    Good to see an NFL scout actually praising Manziel for a change. Manziel has been as cool to hate among scouts as he is with tabloid loving football fans.



    Gosselin agrees with you (you're not the same person, are you?)

    "In my five decades watching pro football, the quarterback to whom I most liken Manziel is Fran Tarkenton, who was undersized for his era (1960-70s) at 6-0, 185 pounds. He was the original NFL scrambler who ran without a conscience. He’d ramble 15-20-25 yards deep in his own backfield escaping pass rushers but was always looking to throw.
    Tarkenton took his team to three Super Bowls and became a nine-time Pro Bowler and league MVP. He still ranks fourth all-time among quarterbacks in rushing (3,674 yards) and sixth all-time in passing yards (47,003). Tarkenton also has a bust in the Hall of Fame."
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    User avatar
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4169
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:55 am


  • Defenses generally cannot cover for 5 or more seconds. Manziel exposes that.

    As for comparing him to Russell, who cares? Like Kip, I hope to hell he does not end up on the Rams. Or Cards. Or Niners. I want him in the AFC.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11311
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • I'd want Seattle to consider him if he's still available at 32.

    If the draft doesn't fall their way, I can't imagine a more close approximation to Russell than Manziel. Obviously he has maturity issues. But I'd be left to wonder, if he couldn't benefit strongly from the Russell Wilson exposure he would get as a pro.

    We aren't going to resign Jackson most likely. Manziel would be a pretty cheap -- long club control backup. One who could likely execute the offense Wilson runs now reliably. QB is the most important position, and if circumstance robs us of talents we'd rather have to surround Wilson, then getting a player who we could groom for QB security as well as possible trade value in the future would be appealing.

    Sitting behind Wilson and learning how to be a mature pro from probably the best example in the league should give Manziel the best chance to develop his game as well as mental make up. If he did clean those up, there would be a good possibility of an RG3 type windfall if we wanted to trade him.

    Taking him, developing him, and trading him would net a whole lot more for Seattle than simply trading back half a round like we're wont to do.

    If Seattle wants dynamic difference makers early in the draft, I can't fathom a player who fits that billing more. And we'd have a uniquely perfect environment to mold him appropriately and to smooth his rough edges.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 731
    Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 pm


  • It's easy to understand the comparisons between RW and Manziel. Like RW, I think Manziel will have instant success at the next level. But when it's said and done, I think the real comparison will be between Griffin and Manziel. I think Manziel's success will be short lived in the NFL. He's too reckless and built more like a corner than an NFL QB. Bad combination in terms of longevity, IMO.
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5798
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


  • You know how, sometimes you get a feeling about something?
    Well I get the distinct feeling Jonny M. Is not better than Russell W.
    I don't think(opinion) that his mind is right and I question his heart,and work ethic.
    I think(opinion) that if and when he gets drafted the team that takes him will be hoping for another Russell Wilson. They won't get what they are looking for.
    Living in Texas, with a child attending a Texas university I've heard some rumors as well. Not for one minute do I believe all of them but, there are to many, for there not to be some truth mixed in.
    Yes Jonny has some skills but,it takes more than skills to succeed in the NFL. I think it's the "more than skills" that Jonny lacks. This is just my opinion.
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 5394
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


  • Manziel is a punk.

    Can't wait to see him get flattened by Ndamakong Suh once he makes the jump to the NFL.

    When it happens, I won't be a bit surprised to see Suh get his first bonus for stepping on someone.
    Rotten, tu d'accord?
    User avatar
    rottweiler
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 276
    Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:09 am


  • rottweiler wrote:Manziel is a punk.

    Can't wait to see him get flattened by Ndamakong Suh once he makes the jump to the NFL.

    When it happens, I won't be a bit surprised to see Suh get his first bonus for stepping on someone.


    I actually agree with this. I look forward to the first flattening that welcomes him to the NFL and brings him back down to reality. He has a the skills in the world but if he doesn't grow up, he will end up like Ryan Leaf
    User avatar
    Diezel Dawg
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 321
    Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:50 am


  • rottweiler wrote:Manziel is a punk.

    Can't wait to see him get flattened by Ndamakong Suh once he makes the jump to the NFL.

    When it happens, I won't be a bit surprised to see Suh get his first bonus for stepping on someone.


    LOL. Manziel better make the most of his education. With the cap, and his first contract likely his last, football won't provide long term security for him, IMO.

    I think Fish will grab him and the Rams will be a legit concern...for at least the 1st half of 2014. I'm hopeful that's the way it goes down. We need to see STL rid themselves of those top picks.
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5798
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


  • JSeahawks wrote:I think he'll be more like rg3 then Russell Wilson. His body is not made to take the nfl pounding. He's not only short but he's small as well. He might light the league on fire for a short while, but I think he'll flame out pretty quickly.

    This. I don't think he has even close to the "smarts" that Wilson has. RW's mental game is light years ahead of most and certainly that clown.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    User avatar
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11989
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: Lombardi Land


  • How is Manziel at sliding and protecting himself? Russell is a savant at that stuff, but you still see how much of a beating he took this year and if he wasn't built like a brick he'd be injured.

    Manziel being skinnier than Wilson means he'd better be as smart about protecting himself as Russell or he'll go the Mike Vick or RGIII route. Skinny dudes who run around a lot don't last fast.

    I think the 2 biggest things that might derail Manziel would be the mental aspect and health. NFL defenses will adjust to him. Is he the hard-work and film room guy like Russell who will adjust right back? You can't be in the film room all the time if you like to party. We've seen very talented QBs struggle because mentally they are not Russell Wilson. Cam Newton and RGIII come to mind. Maybe throw Kaepernick in there also.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 5307
    Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:08 pm


  • The_Z_Man wrote:Jeff Fisher stuck coaching another immature, "party first" QB like Manziel!!! Please let that happen!

    The Rams would be burned to the ground within 2...


    Comparing Manziel to Young is about as good a comparison is comparing Wilson to Kaepernick. Maturity wasn't the reason Young flamed out of the NFL.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11276
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


  • The game on Sunday was a bit of a grounding experience.

    There is a lot to like about Manziel's game, but any team thinking about drafting him is going to have to study those two games against LSU. They're the polar opposite of what he's put on tape against Bama.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8096
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


  • Attyla the Hawk wrote:I'd want Seattle to consider him if he's still available at 32.


    Only way this happens is if Pete moonlights as an NSA agent and intercepts a call saying the Rams are moving up to #33 to target Manziel. Honestly, I would gladly light a #32 pick on fire to keep Manziel away from the Rams. That's how much it would suck if he ends up on that team.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11276
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Next


It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:05 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests