Time for Mora to come home

Tical21

Reaction score
A few wrongs needs to be righted. Steve Sarkisian should be at USC, Jim Mora Jr. should be at the University of Washington. He was a player here. His father coached here. His mother was a freakin' cheerleader here. I don't care how much money it takes, just get it done.

Do you think any of the 4 TD performance was Mora shoving Miles Jack in our face? I don't personally, I think he was just their short yardage back and Mora knew we couldn't stop him, but I've heard a few conspiracy theories. At any rate, he should be playing at UW. If Mora could get the best player in the state to go to California, maybe he could talk a few of the best players in the state to play for Washington.

The one thing I know for darn sure, is that with Mora, we would be a lot less like Oregon. Get it done.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Weren't the Huskies a 0-12 joke pre-Sarkisian?

Not many teams go from that to Championships in just a few years.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1mznhz78 said:

I agree, they're too young, you can't expect to win on the road, we don't have the bullets; he just needs more time.

They definitely were English - but they're not exactly trending upward anymore are they?

HawkWow

Reaction score
Mora did little to impress me last night. It was more about the Dawgs losing than UCLA winning, IMO. Even with the fumbles, mistakes, and HORRENDOUS, game changing calls, UW was positioned numerous times to take control. Had Price not been dinged, the 2nd half would have looked much differently, possibly ending in a U-Dub win despite the tard that coaches our kids.

I want an SEC type guy / a guy that understands power football. Run the ball, stop the run, play with discipline while controlling the clock and limited TOs. It all starts up front and while this style isn't "cute", it's time tested and wins championships.

HawkWow

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":2k96fr4s said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2k96fr4s said:

I agree, they're too young, you can't expect to win on the road, we don't have the bullets; he just needs more time.

They definitely were English - but they're not exactly trending upward anymore are they?

Bullets we have. We don't have a gun. More time for Sark is not the answer. Great guy but not HC material. He is gimmicky and too much of a "player's coach". Sark is "one of the guys". Consequently, his players do not fear reprisal for their mistakes and transgressions. Sark has brought a lot of talent to U-Dub, that cannot be denied. And that talent masks many of his inadequacies. I have never before witnessed a coach so hell-bent on building a team from the outside-in, instead of the inside-out. It's frikin' maddening.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":eyegatul said:

I'm not all that necessarily that down on Sark as the coach. I do think he cut off his nose despite his face when he went away from calling plays, which is supposedly his best attribute as a coach. Even that though, doesn't kill me. The best players in Washington leave every single year. Every single year. Lincoln Kennedy's son left to go to USC for Pete's sake.

But don't you think Sark just fits better at USC, and Mora just fits better here?

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Tical21, I agree, that Mora the college coach is a better fit at UW. I could see him brooding on the sideline in a sideways rain while the Huskies beat up someone quite easily.

It's not hard to recruit offensive linemen to SC, so maybe Sark could work there. They would make him go back to the pro style offense in an instant though. SC does not run that stuff. Never will.

HawkWow

Reaction score
.....and USC will return to prominence sooner than us based on that alone.

I would definitely take Mora over Sark. At least Mora will get in the face of a player, or ref, that's hurting (our) chances of winning. But I also think there's better than Mora (for us) out there.

Jim has thus far conducted himself well at UCLA, but he's got his own quirks, and really not more than a 1/2 step up from Kiffin in the personality department. Both spoiled, coddled sons of big name coaches, not surprising they share similar personas.

"A kicker"? Hard for me to shake that pathetic, Mora melt down. The Hawks (paid professionals) quit on him. I'm certain college kids would do so quicker. Mora's a Dawg so I hold no ill-will towards him, but just don't know if he's our guy. I just know Sark isn't.

I want an SEC guy badly. Pinkel is my first choice, though he's got it going on at Mizzou, now. Mark Richt's seat must be getting warm with the Bulldogs, so he may be available. He would require no more money than Sark. He's got a great offensive mind and has developed very good QBs out of practically nothing.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
FWIW, I think Sark is going to be a great coach. I would LOVE to have the version of him 10 years from now, after he's found his identity, realizes what he does best, goes way from the gimmicky offense and uniforms, and has a better handle on the discipline part. We forget that this is the first time he's been a head coach. Part of it is a growing process. He seems competent enough to learn from his mistakes. But right now, I think we need someone who can recruit the area. Maybe Sark just identifies more with a kid from California.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
HawkWow":3krbbptx said:
ClumsyLurk":3krbbptx said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3krbbptx said:

Bullets we have. We don't have a gun. More time for Sark is not the answer. Great guy but not HC material. He is gimmicky and too much of a "player's coach". Sark is "one of the guys". Consequently, his players do not fear reprisal for their mistakes and transgressions. Sark has brought a lot of talent to U-Dub, that cannot be denied. And that talent masks many of his inadequacies. I have never before witnessed a coach so hell-bent on building a team from the outside-in, instead of the inside-out. It's frikin' maddening.
lol totally agree, just running thru our usual excuses as coach discussions begin. These were just a few I remember the year before willingham went 0-12.

Anybody remember niu leaving the cupboard empty . :(

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I know Mora once said coaching UW was his "dream job," but how does he leave UCLA? That might be the best situation in the entire country. Modest expectations, but if he succeeds in building up that program, he'll become a legend. Great school, great location and a huge talent pool. The luster that's coming off USC is only going to help him recruit better talent going forward.

I love UW, but Mora would be a damn fool to leave UCLA.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I think both geography and a desire to get outta' Cali gets us a lot of Cali recruits, too. I bought into the Sark signing because I was told "Sark owns the islands". I continue to believe it's very important we get the Hawaiians back at UW. That's not going the way I hoped.

IF geography is in a big way responsible for us getting Cali guys, that much more the reason I want an SEC guy (and no, I'm not going to let this rest, lol). You get a guy like Richt with ties and contacts from Florida all the way to East Texas. That's the hotbed right there. Granted, those southern boys don't typically like to be too far from home, and they're taught they won't go to heaven if they play out of state, but it would sure be nice to get a few of those corn-fed hogs to follow a hard nosed coach to UW. Especially in Richt's case, a master developer of QBs. We may be needing such a master this off-season.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
If you want an "SEC guy" who also has Washington ties, what about Doug Nussmeier? Former Washington and current Alabama offensive coordinator.

HawkWow

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1t12c6qr said:
If you want an "SEC guy" who also has Washington ties, what about Doug Nussmeier? Former Washington and current Alabama offensive coordinator.

Other than the lack of HC experience, I'd love him. Never should have let him get away. Good enough for Bama, not good enough for Sark?

And IIRC, Nussmeier was practically coaching free for us too (like $250K per?).

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I'd take Mora as coach as well. I think he would be a good fit. I think Sark is gone after this someplace else.

davidonmi

Reaction score
Here's my list.
1. Jim Mora, longshot, but if we give him an offer he can't refuse maybe

2. Tim Deruyter <<<<<<<<< This is our guy and we have a legit shot at him. He has turned around many defenses as a DC. He took over with pretty much an empty cupboard from pat hill and is 8-0 at FSU. If it were me, if mora says no I'm firing sark and calling this guy today.

3. Gary Pinkel, longshot, he's an alum. Probably not happening

4. James Franklin, he might be mediocre recordwise but geez it's vanderbilt and he went 9-4 last year.

If more names emerge I'll add them to my list.
And all the people who still reference 0-12 as a reason to keep sark that was half a decade ago. At some point that has to stop being used as an excuse

davidonmi

Reaction score
SeatownJay":8q0cejx1 said:
I'd rather him coach at a smaller university for 1 or 2 years to prove he can be a HC, great coordinators don't always translate to being great head coaches

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Tical21":3a2vdmym said:
But don't you think Sark just fits better at USC, and Mora just fits better here?

I think USC already has its coach.

And do I think Mora would fit better at UW? Not really. Don't see any evidence for that apart from his obvious attachment to the school.

If it wasn't for a few bone head mistakes by the players in the UCLA game plus an injury to your QB, I doubt anyone would be clamouring for Mora today. I mean, it's not Sark's fault your boy got injured before half time.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
HawkWow":100q9wcz said:
I think both geography and a desire to get outta' Cali gets us a lot of Cali recruits, too. I bought into the Sark signing because I was told "Sark owns the islands". I continue to believe it's very important we get the Hawaiians back at UW. That's not going the way I hoped.

IF geography is in a big way responsible for us getting Cali guys, that much more the reason I want an SEC guy (and no, I'm not going to let this rest, lol). You get a guy like Richt with ties and contacts from Florida all the way to East Texas. That's the hotbed right there. Granted, those southern boys don't typically like to be too far from home, and they're taught they won't go to heaven if they play out of state, but it would sure be nice to get a few of those corn-fed hogs to follow a hard nosed coach to UW. Especially in Richt's case, a master developer of QBs. We may be needing such a master this off-season.
With all due respect, F' Florida, F' California. Priority number one has to be to keep the best local kids in this state.

We have a former player out there, what better ambassador could there be? Somebody who can look a kid in the eyes and tell him what it means to be a Husky. We're fortunate enough to have a former player that is a good coach, considers UW his dream job, and we're not going to give him a chance?

Why would he leave UCLA? Because deep in his core it burns every day that he is there and not here.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Sark won't be coming to USC. It'll be either Ed O. or a guy like Sumlin.

The one thing I could see making Mora leave UCLA is not being able to keep assistants because UCLA won't pay to keep them or some other money issue.