Bigger need for Hawks OT or DT in 2014?

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
with the improvement in the rookies Bailey and Bowie these last few weeks i think OT is not as big of a need as i thought. I think with next years extensions Thomas,Sherman,Bennett,and Tate coming down that some players on the D-line might have to go to make room. Me personally i like Mebane and Red Bryant but Michael Bennett is the inside presence we need and CAN'T lose but he might take one or both their contracts to keep him. So I think if this happends then a 1st round DT is definitely at the top of the list in 2014 in my opinion.

do you agree ? and Who would you want the seahawks to take at DT in the next Draft.

A) RaShede Hageman DT- Minnesota
6'6 311 lbs converted TE with alot of Athleticism and talent to rush the QB

B) Danny Shelton DT Washington- 6'1 327 lbs could be a cheaper alternative to Mebane.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I'm far from an expert but if you look at the personnel on both sides I think it shows we need to restock on both lines.

OL
Breno/McQ/LJP are all FA after this year. I'm not sure how much money they are willing to shell out for these guys to come back. All told those 3 OL free up $8.1M for 2014.

DL
McDaniel/Mcdonald (Schofield if you count him as DL) are FA after this season. They only cost us about $1.2m in cap space ($1.8M if you count OBS)
Bryant and Avril or Clemons are top targets IMO for being cut due to salary purposes. Mebane could be, but I think he is such an anchor in the run game they may not want to lose him. If Bryant/Avril/Mebane are cut we'd save in $17.8m cap space. I think they will use some of that dough to resign Bennett. We do have a few guys to potentially fill some of the roles on the DL as well like Scruggs and Brooks if he hangs around our PS long enough to make the team next year.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I'm thinking DT, WR, OG/OT, TE.

I'd like to see Hageman drafted by the Seahawks, but I think they would have to trade up in the 1-st to get him.

An extremely viable alternative may very well be:
Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh, 6-0, 285, Probably available in the late 1-st round to late 2-nd round of the draft? (He's SHORT, so he could drop into the Seahawks lap in the late 2-nd.)

Note: This year so far, Donald leads the nation in tackles for loss with 19.5 (2.4 per game), and he also has 9 sacks. (1.6 per game). He has 3 forced fumbles so far this season. His combine #'s should be interesting.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... ron-donald
"Donald comes off the line like he was shot out of a cannon & his first step routinely beats opponents". "His stature gives Donald a leverage advantage which he uses well." etc. etc.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014DT.php
"As a Junior, Donald had 64 tackles, 18.5 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks,
as a sophomore, Donald had 47 tackles, 16 tackles for loss and 11 sacks"
So, that's 54 tackles for loss and 25.5 sacks in LESS than 3 years if I counted correctly.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/6 ... api_public

"Donald had a monster game against Georgia Tech a few weeks ago, 11 tackles (all solo), 6 tackles for loss, 2 forced fumbles and a sack. The 6 TFL's are the most by an FBS player this season."
"Of the top 10 players in sacks (so far this season), Donald is the only defensive tackle.
“He's one of the best players we've played against,” Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson said". “He's very disruptive. He’s got quickness. He's compact. He's not a real tall guy but he's very quick and he's explosive. He's just hard to block.” "He has been for three seasons now. But this year has been something special."

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
My concern with DTs like Donald and Sutton are; if they can't rush the passer like they have in college, it's almost a wasted pick because they are very weak in the run game. Pass rushing DTs are so hard to find and have such a high bust rate, that you better be damn sure they will succeed in that department.

What I'd personally like to see, is find a high upside athlete in the trenches (ie Hageman, Irving) who might not be able to contribute right away, but after some seasoning could become a monster. I think this is the ideal scenario as we would be constantly grooming high upside replacements that cost much less.

Late 1st is usually a great spot to get a raw, premiere/elite athlete who needs to become a better football player (Cordarrelle Patterson & Xavier Rhodes come to mind last year). Another position that I think could be a really sneaky pick is another versatile safety (like Mark Barron), who might not be great at one thing, but is good at everything. Think Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. I know we are heavily invested there, but in a passing league this player could get a ton of snaps.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I doubt it'll come down to need.

Seattle is in a position where they can get the best player regardless. I would expect that if Hageman drops to them he will be the pick. His measurables are likely to be outstanding at the combine.

With a team with this kind of quality across the board, it'll be about maintaining advantage. Defensive tackles of that caliber rarely fall into your lap. Quite honestly, they could really just about pick any position they want. Getting a real alpha talent at any position maybe save QB and RB is the real goal. I think Schneider's comment last year about Michael was telling in terms of how they view drafting with a full roster. Don't pass up on talents that fall to you.

It's one of the reasons I could see a guy like Dix or ASJ or Cameron Erving or Cyril Richardson being the guy if any of them fall. ASJ's stock has taken a hit this year, but I kind of see him as a guy we'd value greatly. Particularly as he was productive in a type of offense that we run. His size and receiving ability are a unique mix. Willson looks like he may have taken hold of the joker TE role.

I'm pretty sure we'll trade out anyway. We typically try to do that if particular players aren't there. Hageman, Erving and ASJ seem to be the kinds of rare talents that we might consider standing pat for. Otherwise, it doesn't really look like many late first guys would merit not trading back for.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I'm not much of an expert, but 54 tackles for loss and 25.5 sacks in LESS than 3 years would seem to me that this kid plays BOTH the run and the pass pretty darn well. As we now know, height is just a # that may not define the effectiveness of a player and in some cases may even be an advantage (leverage in particular).

HawkWow

Reaction score
IMO, ASJ should be top priority. I'm REALLY not being a homer here, I just believe his size, hands and blocking skills mesh perfectly with what we are doing. I don't think we can keep Zach anymore. That pains me, but he's not being utilized in a way that makes him worth his salary. Even with a healthy line, Miller's making a lot of money and spends a lot of time injured. Love the guy. I'd give our 1st and 4th to move up for ASJ. Using our 2nd on O-line. I'd trade our 5th, 6th and 7th to move back into the 4th and grab the fastest WR left on the board. We don't need a lot of players, so lets move up (which we hate to do) to get the best few we can. FAs will be knocking down our door as well, so we have that.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
This is Coming from a Coug...

Jenkins has the physical skills to be a star, certainly to be everything the Seahawks need at the position.

My concern is his work ethic. Not saying he loafs it, but does he strike you Husky fans as a guy who can seperate himself with his work ethic? Does he have the desire for greatness or does he get drafted early, and think he can make it on physical gifts alone ( which he won't)??

cover-2

Reaction score
At this point of the season I would say OT is a bigger need, but if Bowie continues to improve than another DT would be my preference. If the 3rd best OT or DT Hageman were available when we draft, I would much rather have Hageman. I have watched more Minnesota games this year than I have the last 7 years combined, Hageman's combination of size, athleticism, and strength scream top-10 pick. But, his production just isn't there which hopefully will have him sliding down to the late 1st round. The are a handful of intriguing OT that could be had in rounds 2-4 of the draft.

kearly

Reaction score
Definitely OT, we are loaded at DT.

Also, you wonder how much of our tackle problem can be attributed to Tom Cable holding Alvin Bailey out of games for reasons we can't fathom. Having talent on your roster means nothing if they don't play.

I wouldn't mind Seattle making another round of luxury picks next year. We don't need receiver help, but if a guy like Marquise Lee is there, Seattle should strongly consider him.