Pac 12 Bowling

SeatownJay

Reaction score
The Pac 12 has 8 teams that are bowl eligible, with two more that can reach eligibility if they each win 2 of their last three (Utah & Washington State). The problem is, the Pac 12 only has automatic tie-ins with seven bowls. Luckily, if Oregon wins out they'll most likely go to a BCS bowl. So with that said, predict where you think the Pac 12 teams will go bowling. Here are mine.

Stanford: Rose Bowl
Oregon: Fiesta Bowl
Arizona State: Alamo Bowl
UCLA: Holiday Bowl
USC: Sun Bowl
Washington: Las Vegas Bowl
Oregon State: Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl
Arizona: New Mexico Bowl

JGreen79

Reaction score
As much as I would enjoy watching Baylor v Oregon in the Fiesta Bowl, I don't see Fiesta getting the chance. Theres a good chance the Orange and Sugar bowls don't pass up a chance to have Oregon play Clemson or an SEC team.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Yea... Fiesta bowl gets last pick of the "at large" teams. So its unlikely the Ducks will be there.

I'm hoping USC beats Stanford next week which will put the Ducks back in the Rose Bowl, assuming they win the rest of their games. The bummer is that means Pac 12 would probably only get one BCS team since a 2 loss Stanford probably wouldn't get an at large bid.

Otherwise i'm hoping the Ducks make the Sugar bowl for a rematch with Auburn. Although that would be pretty much a home game for them.

I'll go:

Rose bowl, Oregon
Alama Bowls: Stanford
Holiday Bowl: Arizona State
Sun Bowl: USC
Las Vegas Bowl: UCLA
Hunger Bowl: Washington
New Mexico Bowl: Arizona

Then Oregon State will go somewhere, but no idea where.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
If WSU beats UW and Arizona, does that knock them out of contention? I am a Zoo fan.

minormillikin

Reaction score
WSU will be bowl eligible if they win one of the last two games (Utah and Washington).

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
minormillikin":1vpj749w said:
WSU will be bowl eligible if they win one of the last two games (Utah and Washington).
My thought is Utah wins out (WSU & Colorado) to get to 6-6, WSU wins the Apple Cup, and both teams qualify to give the Pac 12 10 bowl-eligible teams.

keith da hawk

Reaction score
You also have to take into account that some bowl games will be looking to fill a vacancy left by another conference. It sure looks like the B1G and the ACC won't have enough teams that are bowl eligible, as well as Army not making it to 6 wins. I think those bowl committees would much rather have a PAC-12 team over a 6-6 MAC or Mountain West team. Also, if Stanford and Oregon each make it to a BCS game that opens up another spot (you could sub the South Division champ with an upset @ Oregon in the CG if you like).

Just saying that there is still plenty of room for teams like Utah and WSU.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
If you win six games in a major conference, you are going bowling. I don't care what bowl the Cougs would play in. Its been too long.

keith da hawk

Reaction score
seahawk2k":3klqmb0j said:
If you win six games in a major conference, you are going bowling. I don't care what bowl the Cougs would play in. Its been too long.

Not necessarily. You will definitely get invited to play in one. WSU went 6-6 in 2006, but declined their bowl invite.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
WSU would never decline a bowl invite, especially now, when its been 10 years. As I recall they didn't receive a bowl invite. I think the Las Vegas Bowl picked UCLA(because they travel better), even though the Cougs blew them out earlier in the year. In 2003, UW declined a bowl invite as a matter of principal I believe. With the amount of bowls there are, there is no way they wouldn't get an offer. The only issue is them winning that elusive sixth game.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
With one week left in the regular season and the Conference Championships left, here are the bowl projections from ESPN and CBS.

Mark Shlabach, ESPN
Rose Bowl: Stanford vs. Michigan State
Alamo Bowl: Oregon vs. Oklahoma
Holiday Bowl: Arizona State vs. Texas Tech
Sun Bowl: USC vs. Virginia Tech
Las Vegas Bowl: UCLA vs. Utah State
Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl: Washington vs. BYU
New Mexico Bowl: Arizona vs. Colorado State
Poinsettia Bowl: Washington State vs. San Diego State
Famous Idaho Potato Bowl: Oregon State vs. Bowling Green

Brad Edwards, ESPN
Rose Bowl: Stanford vs. Ohio State
Alamo Bowl: USC vs. Oklahoma
Holiday Bowl: Oregon vs. Kansas State
Sun Bowl: Arizona State vs. Duke
Las Vegas Bowl: UCLA vs. Boise State
Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl: Arizona vs. BYU
New Mexico Bowl: Oregon State vs. San Diego State
Heart of Dallas Bowl: Washington vs. North Texas
Famous Idaho Potato Bowl: Washington State vs. Buffalo

Jerry Palm, CBS Sports
Rose Bowl: Stanford vs. Ohio State
Alamo Bowl: Oregon vs. Oklahoma
Sun Bowl: UCLA vs. Virginia Tech
Las Vegas Bowl: USC vs. San Diego State
Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl: Washington vs. BYU
New Mexico Bowl: Arizona vs. Colorado State
Independence Bowl: Oregon State vs. Georgia Tech
Little Ceasar's Bowl: Washington State vs. Ball State

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Well, here are the official bowl matchups for the Pac 12.

New Mexico Bowl: Washington State vs. Colorado State
Las Vegas Bowl: USC vs. Fresno State
Hawaii Bowl: Oregon State vs. Boise State
Fight Hunger Bowl: Washington vs. BYU
Alamo Bowl: Oregon vs. Texas
Advocare V100 Bowl: Arizona vs. Boston College
Sun Bowl: UCLA vs. Virginia Tech
Rose Bowl: Stanford vs. Michigan State

getnasty

Reaction score
Stanford vs Michigan State will be a physical match up. Good to see the Cougs get a bowl.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Oregon is going to blow the doors off Texas, they got screwed out of the Sugar Bowl. Stanford and Michigan State should be a real good game.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
seahawk2k":2ir7ojja said:
Oregon is going to blow the doors off Texas, they got screwed out of the Sugar Bowl. Stanford and Michigan State should be a real good game.

I agree with you with the caveat only if they're actually motivated to be there. I think motivation has been their biggest problem the last month or so.

I actually like this bowl and this matchup. Texas is an area where the Ducks have really focused recruiting in recent years, beating up on Texas down in San Antonio could be really good for Ducks recruiting.