Stanford vs Oregon

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I got Oregon winning big. 49-10. I don't think this years Stanford team is nearly as good as last years offensively. I don't think they'll be able to hold the ball and dominate time of possession and limit Oregon's possessions like they did last year. The Ducks get an early lead, take Stanford out of their comfort zone, and then roll.

Shaw on Mariota:

“It’s mastery,” said Stanford coach David Shaw. “Mastery of the quarterback position. I thought he was the best in the country last year and I think he’s the best this year. Why nobody is talking about him as the No. 1 overall pick, I don’t understand. He’s 6-5. He’s really smart. He’s unbelievably accurate. There is no wobble on his passes. Everything is precise and a quick release. Oh, by the way, he runs a 4.4. He’s that combination of Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin. You’re not choosing between one or the other. You’ve got both. The big, physical imposing pocket passer and the guy that can outrun everybody. How you pass up a guy like this and have to play against him I’ll never know.

“... You put all of that into one with his maturity and the fact that this is a guy you could give a franchise to and know it’s going to be in good hands. Am I hoping he leaves, absolutely? Am I trying to talk him into leaving, maybe?”

From ESPN Pac12 blog

davidonmi

Reaction score
I almost picked stanford, however I ended up picking Oregon 34-24. Last year was an anomaly, I think Stanford still isn't athletic enough to beat Oregon again

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I think Oregon thought last year would be a cakewalk just like the previous two years and got rattled, especially on offense. Stanford, especially Skov, played incredible in that game, and Oregon couldn't get anything going in the passing game. I think Oregon is better, Mariota, who really struggled last year, is a year older and a year wiser. I think Stanford is still dangerous, but they lost Gardner up front, and I think that will be huge. Those buck sweeps and stretch runs where its so important for the defensive end to set the edge will be difficult for Stanford to stop. If Oregon hits some runs on the outside early, it sets up everything else in the offense. Oregon is also better at receiver than last year, or at least faster.

I think Oregon will be able to hold up against Stanford's running game pretty well too. Oregon has a few stud interior defensive linemen that are thick, quick and strong. They will eat up blockers and will allow the backers and secondary to flow downhill to the ball, which is what they are so damn good at.

I wouldn't be surprised if this game was close for a half, I expect Stanford to try and take a few shots downfield early, and maybe even hit on a big play. Oregon layers their playcalling a lot and occasionally lose a possession to set up something later(Saw this in the UW game a couple times). I think Oregon rips off a few big plays in the second half and ends up pulling away. Stanford is, like always, a tough, physical, well coached and very good team. I feel like Oregon is at a different level this year.

Oregon: 49-21

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
35 - 17. I like Oregon in this one because of the growth throughout the receiving corps.

GCrow

Reaction score
Can't remember the last time there was 2 huge college games being played on a Thursday night. Both will probably be far more entertaining than Washington - Minnesota tonight as well.

CaptBennett

Reaction score
I think Oregon will take this one away pretty easily once the 2nd half approaches, Stanford's D will be so tired by then Oregon will just run past them.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
This will be a cake walk for Oregon IMO.

But I hate all this Luck/RGIII nonsense with Mariota. Why can't he just be Marcus Mariota?

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Hey J, how come they let Oregon get away with moving before the center snaps it. I have seen them do it quite a few times but it never gets called.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
I think Stanford needs to get a couple first downs here or else they will be down 7-0. You don't get away with giving Oregon that kind of field position very often. I like the decision by Oregon to go for it.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2yd86gwl said:
bigtrain21":2yd86gwl said:
I like the decision by Oregon to go for it.

I like the decision but not really the play call. Fade to a 5'10" WR doesn't have a high success rate.

Yeah maybe a run pass option with Mariota would have been a better play.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Man, here we go again. Stanford is to the Ducks as the Rams are to the Seahawks. They just completely muck the game up.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
This game is playing out exactly as Stanford wants it. Now they're just going to milk the clock. Every first down is another 3 minutes off the clock, frustrating as a Ducks fan and i'm sure as a player.