Miami vs Florida State.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
FSU is favored by 22 points over the Hurricanes. I'm not saying that the bettors / line makers are wrong. Miami could get thumped. But:

1) These games are historically pretty close. There really has only been one blowout in the last decade.

2) Miami plays well in Tallahassee. 3-2 since 2003 with both losses by a combined 7 points.

3) In-state bragging rights - these kids all played high school ball together. They are extra amped for these contests which can mitigate some of the talent disparity.

4) Other than maybe Clemson, FSU has not seen the team speed that UM presents. FSU has been impressive, blowing out all their opponents, but they may be a little caught off guard by facing athletes just as talented as themselves. FSU is deeper and more talented overall but the disparity is not as dramatic as some think.

5) Miami's defense is greatly improved since last year and defense travels. Look out for Tyriq McCord, future LEO.

6) Jameis Winston has looked great but he is still inexperienced and playing in the biggest game of his young career.

7) FSU's Defensive line is terrific but Miami has a very good OL that can pass protect and run block.

Unless Stephen Morris has the game of his life I don't think we can win, but I'll be shocked if we get blown out by three touchdowns.

Oh, and if you haven't seen #8 Duke Johnson play yet you're missing out. He's had fumbling issues this year but he is electric, like De'Anthony Thomas, except he gets it done from the pro-set instead of some gimmicky offense.... :D

Go Canes!

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Sorry, but I think Miami is going to get smoked. My prediction is something like 49-16. Lookin forward to the game though.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Thunderhawk, I know you are a Canes fan, and I respect that, because I've never actually talked to a Miami fan before. I think you might have your head in the clouds a bit. If Famous Jameis and the speed racing gang of receivers didn't get rattled at Clemson by the atmosphere, I don't anticipate they will get psyched out playing Miami.

FSU is a beast this year, like those old FSU squads of yesteryear with the fast, brutal defense and the well coached, super talented offense that gets yards in insane chunks. I think this will be FSU's toughest game, but i still think they cover the spread and get beat. Miami is building something solid, Golden is a good coach, but FSU got thrown into the top 10 years prior to this when they weren't ready and it showed. I think the same thing happens to Miami. Its not a knock on the Canes, FSU is just that good.

GCrow

Reaction score
I too, think FSU will dominate and win big. Miami has look shaky last 2 weeks, needing OT to beat a (then) 1 win UNC and squeaking by Wake Forest last Saturday.

However, I hope it's a close game as I love this rivalry and Miami being good makes College Football better

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Unless Miami just completely mailed it in last week, it didn't look to me like they have the horses to keep up with FSU.

OP
OP
Thunderhawk

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
I'm not one of these homers that buries his head in the sand. It's possible that Miami will get rocked this Saturday. We are still a class away from being really good. I just wanted to offer a PSA to all the bettors out there by providing a little context. The history indicates this will be a lot closer than people think and the difference in talent, at least among the starters, is not as pronounced as it seems.

It's going to be closer than 21 points and Miami might even win IF Stephen Morris plays well, which he clearly hasn't the last couple of games.

I'll be in Tallahassee Saturday night and if I don't make it out of there alive it has been a pleasure chilling with Hawk brethren and sisteren on .NET.

Go Hawks! Go Canes!

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Well, the Canes' could of been looking ahead to this matchup and that could be why they looked not so intimidating the last couple of games.

I don't fully trust Florida State at the moment either, they are historically choke artist.

Always a chance I guess for a Miami upset.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Slow developing rushing plays aren't going to work against FSU's defense.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Man, college kickers suck so bad. Biggest difference between college football and pro football, imo.

I was surprised Miami even moved the ball that far.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Just a lack of fundamentals, a lot of it is that they are 19 years old and are mentally weak.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Miami's corner did a nice job of holding on that pick.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Miami has been running the ball really well too on those stretch and power plays.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Rubbish throw/decision by Winston on that pick. Might need those contact lenses after all.

cesame

Reaction score
Miami's zone on 3rd and long is maddening

Way too easy to hit underneath for a 1st

edit - guess it wasn't a first

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
In fact I'm going to say this... why isn't he wearing contacts?

Why is he squinting to read the plays on the sideline? That means he's short sighted. How can he throw down field at his 100% best if he's squinting?