After STL game when do the hawks go OT in draft

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
I think the seahawks have done well in all of john schneiders drafts in my opinion he can do no wrong. But i think they have neglected OT 1 draft to long i'm not saying round 1 or 2 but give Cable at least a 4th or 5th rounder to work with and develop. I like the versatilty that the lineman have but when a guard is playing LT he's still a guard. I think they need a mid-round OT that is capable of playing both sides in the draft this year.

HighlandHawk

Reaction score
Errr, well I wouldn't say we neglected it one draft too long in all honesty.

2013 - (Harvin)
2012 - Irvin
2011 - Carp who was drafted to play RT

We also invested into Moffitt that draft in 2011. This year we drafted O Line as well in the later rounds. Keep in mind that Carp was quoted as a 'rock' in pass protection for Alabama as a left tackle so he was meant to be a good pick there.

So this year there's a couple of options for a R with L swing in the mid rounds, my two preferences would be Morgan Moses and JaWuan James but both might jump up into the third round quite easily (where we're lacking a pick). Drafting one doesn't immediately upgrade us due to the ZBS we run, it does take time for players to get used to it if they've never played it before.

kearly

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it's really hard to just "buy" a tackle with a draft pick. Teams have been reaching for OL more and more aggressively in recent years- in the past draft you had a couple guys with consensus 2nd round grades going in the top 20 picks. Even if you draft a tackle high, that's not much of a guarantee. Only a few tackles drafted high the last several years have lived up to the hype, Russell Okung being one of them.

I think FA or Trade should definitely be on the table, and it's pretty common to find guys who are close to league average tackles for relatively low cost during offseason free agency. Eugene Monroe was basically dealt for a song. There are Eugene Monroe type opportunities fairly often, so I think the veteran route makes the most sense, especially if the team believes in Bowie and Bailey to develop.

Also, sometimes very good tackles go with later picks. One of my absolute favorite tackles from the last draft was David Bahktiari, who went 4th round to the Packers. He's already become a very good player for them, to the surprise of all except for Ted Thompson and myself. Jordan Mills was a pretty good prospect too. He went mid rounds and has received strong reviews for his play this season.

But you can't bank on finding those hidden gems every year. I think that Seattle passed on both of them multiple times is a little alarming; in the case of Bahktiari especially I thought his talent was blindingly obvious, so I'm not sure we can hold out too much hope of Seattle identifying who those undervalued bargain buys are at OL.

Of course, the smart thing to do is to just go all out. Spend a mid-round pick. Spend a couple late round picks. Trade or sign for a veteran. Make tons of moves. Throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. It worked for the secondary a couple years ago. It worked for the pass rush this year. It will probably work for the OL next year. Compete, compete, compete.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
disagree somewhat. I am in the camp that see Bowie is actually doing average now and has been improving. I think he needs to improve on his kickstep and be a bit quicker on both his kickstep and the backside cut block.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I'm not saying they need to draft an OT in the first round at all costs, but for God's sake, spend a mid-round pick on a solid prospect once in a while instead of constantly waiting to the last couple rounds to draft projects.

OP
OP
L

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
I'm not saying they look for a top pick in the draft but they need a true tackle that can handle himself against a speed rusher. I'm not really talking about Bowie either he's been bad but should get better i'm talking about McQuistan. He will probably be gone next year and Alvin Bailey will take his role but relying on a guard playing tackle is going to get you the same results every time in my opinion. Look for a mid-rounder to develop behind Okung for the safety of Russell Wilson.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":zzz03amt said:
Unfortunately, it's really hard to just "buy" a tackle with a draft pick. Teams have been reaching for OL more and more aggressively in recent years- in the past draft you had a couple guys with consensus 2nd round grades going in the top 20 picks. Even if you draft a tackle high, that's not much of a guarantee. Only a few tackles drafted high the last several years have lived up to the hype, Russell Okung being one of them.

I think FA or Trade should definitely be on the table, and it's pretty common to find guys who are close to league average tackles for relatively low cost during offseason free agency. Eugene Monroe was basically dealt for a song. There are Eugene Monroe type opportunities fairly often, so I think the veteran route makes the most sense, especially if the team believes in Bowie and Bailey to develop.

Also, sometimes very good tackles go with later picks. One of my absolute favorite tackles from the last draft was David Bahktiari, who went 4th round to the Packers. He's already become a very good player for them, to the surprise of all except for Ted Thompson and myself. Jordan Mills was a pretty good prospect too. He went mid rounds and has received strong reviews for his play this season.

But you can't bank on finding those hidden gems every year. I think that Seattle passed on both of them multiple times is a little alarming; in the case of Bahktiari especially I thought his talent was blindingly obvious, so I'm not sure we can hold out too much hope of Seattle identifying who those undervalued bargain buys are at OL.

Of course, the smart thing to do is to just go all out. Spend a mid-round pick. Spend a couple late round picks. Trade or sign for a veteran. Make tons of moves. Throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. It worked for the secondary a couple years ago. It worked for the pass rush this year. It will probably work for the OL next year. Compete, compete, compete.

I agree largely with this. It seems unlikely that an OT capable of spelling at LT early will drop to us. It would seem an odd time for Seattle to move up in the draft. Seattle already is short of their 9-10 annual pick goal. But it does appear that OTs will go early/often again. I don't know if we will be willing to "Plan B" our OT search yet again. If our championship run is derailed by OT quality, that could change our stance.

There are some good OG prospects that should be around in the late third to fifth rounds. I don't see us taking an OG early. And I expect Pete to inject some quality competition there to drive Sweezy and Carpenter. Both are hitting that season and a half stage as a starter. Right about where Pete typically adds to the competitive mix.