David Shaw blasts Sark

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
David Shaw blasts Sark
Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:35 pm
  • Always love some good coach vs coach drama.

@DavidMLombardi: David Shaw BLASTING Sarkisian. Says when UW beat Stanford, Cardinal did not make excuses and blame officials like Wash

"And I don't care what Steve Sarkisian thinks that he saw. We've never done it. We didn't do it against Oregon. So why in the world would we do it against Washington?"

"I believe it's unprofessional to call out an assistant coach by name on another team in the media. The only defensive line coach that I know of that has ever instructed players to fake injuries works at Washington, not Stanford," Shaw said. "That's not calling anybody out. That's just stating a fact. It's proven. It's been admitted."

Here's the audio, its pretty good:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9793052

My two cents: I thought it was pretty obvious that Gardner was faking his injury. I wasn't sure about Skov. I also think it was beyond obvious that the last pass hit the ground and was incomplete. I did think that Sark came across as a sniveling little whiner with some of his post game comments. Also, I believe that Stanford actually has faked injuries against Oregon before, but it was when harbaugh was their coach, not Shaw.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Re: David Shaw blasts Sark
Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:51 pm
  • Harbaugh vs. Pete and Shaw vs. Sark.

I agree Sark should have saved his commentary for behind closed doors, but who the hell is David Shaw to suggest someone else may be less than graceful? I can't stand Shaw. Hate would be appropriate and the same goes for his ex Stanford girlfriend, Harbaugh.

How could any Stanford coach call another team's coach a whiner? Stanford is home to the KINGS of whiners: Bill Walsh and Jim-bob Harbaugh...and now Shaw is whining about Sark whining.

I'll bet you this, had Idaho state played Shaw's team, Kramer (?) wouldn't have been calling Stanford a class act and thanking them for keeping the score down.

Further...what did Shaw want, heartfelt congratulations? His team was outplayed by the Dawgs. And the majority of those watching felt UW did get hosed. At the conclusion of the game...did Shaw congratulate UW on a hard fought game? Hell no. He said "well, they have a great QB, Keith Price is a guy I like". What was funny was right before that statement, Price and Shaw were hanging together for a period longer than your typical "good game coach" handshake. I assume Price was kind to the asshole so Shaw returned the favor.

The better team lost Sat night, that's all Shaw needs to know.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:02 pm
  • I'm hoping to see one of the Ducks fake injury after the very first play, then get up and sprint off the field. Just for the giggle factor.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:11 pm
  • Wow, Jsea's in full giddy and limpy-blimpy mode.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:13 pm
  • Shaw is lying, and quite frankly, that gives anything else he says zero credibility.

Gardner clearly faked it. Chase Thomas clearly faked it against Oregon a couple years ago.

I don't have a problem with Sarkisian calling out Shaw, more coaches need to call each other out for their BS.
    drrew
    NET Starter

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:24 pm
  • Gardner AND Skov were unquestionably faking their injuries. Anybody with half a brain could have seen that. Any and all bias aside.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:35 pm
  • Sark is playing a game here, bring it to the refs attention.

I like the honesty on both sides.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:12 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:I'm hoping to see one of the Ducks fake injury after the very first play, then get up and sprint off the field. Just for the giggle factor.

I think this whole faking thing has to stop, Jsea.

How will the fans in Eugene know if the injuries they're applauding are real or faked?

; )
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:15 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:Gardner AND Skov were unquestionably faking their injuries. Anybody with half a brain could have seen that. Any and all bias aside.

Skov was ridiculous. Rolling around holding his knee then limps to the sideline and just stands there? If your knee is hurt you're either on the bench getting it looked at or trying to walk it off. Then he goes in a play later. Lol
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:44 am
  • drrew wrote:Shaw is lying, and quite frankly, that gives anything else he says zero credibility.

Gardner clearly faked it. Chase Thomas clearly faked it against Oregon a couple years ago.

I don't have a problem with Sarkisian calling out Shaw, more coaches need to call each other out for their BS.

So is Shaw responsible for every douche bag move Harbaugh makes? Of course Stanford faked injuries in 2010, look who the coach was.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:49 am
  • I wish the NCAA (and the NFL, now) would institute delay of game penalties for injury faking. If your player comes in a play later - instant 5 yard penalty and automatic first down added.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:55 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:I wish the NCAA (and the NFL, now) would institute delay of game penalties for injury faking. If your player comes in a play later - instant 5 yard penalty and automatic first down added.

Someone brought up a good idea...if you're injured on the field and cause a stoppage in play, you need to sit out a quarter (15 full minutes) so you can't just fake an injury near the end of a quarter and come back in the next.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:10 am
  • -The Glove- wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:I wish the NCAA (and the NFL, now) would institute delay of game penalties for injury faking. If your player comes in a play later - instant 5 yard penalty and automatic first down added.

Someone brought up a good idea...if you're injured on the field and cause a stoppage in play, you need to sit out a quarter (15 full minutes) so you can't just fake an injury near the end of a quarter and come back in the next.

That's way too long, guys get legitly banged up all the time and return in a few plays. If they're going to set a time limit I'd say make them sit out the remainder of the drive.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:14 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    -The Glove- wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:I wish the NCAA (and the NFL, now) would institute delay of game penalties for injury faking. If your player comes in a play later - instant 5 yard penalty and automatic first down added.

That's way too long, guys get legitly banged up all the time and return in a few plays. If they're going to set a time limit I'd say make them sit out the remainder of the drive.

Maybe. But they should do something to get the ball rolling on that.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:24 am
  • -The Glove- wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:
    -The Glove- wrote:

Maybe. But they should do something to get the ball rolling on that.

That's why I think the delay of game penalty would work pretty well. It's pretty easy to see who's faking it after the fact.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:50 am
  • That idea won't stop cheaters like Tosh, they will just put in backups who don't play much to fake an injury.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:10 am
  • CPHawk wrote:
    drrew wrote:Shaw is lying, and quite frankly, that gives anything else he says zero credibility.

So is Shaw responsible for every douche bag move Harbaugh makes? Of course Stanford faked injuries in 2010, look who the coach was.

When Shaw says that "We don’t fake injuries. We never have and we never will." than you're damn right that he holds some responsibility for what was happening when he was on the coaching staff. Don't say something never happened when there is video proof that it did unless you're prepared to be called out as a liar.
    drrew
    NET Starter

Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:18 pm
  • The best part is when he said, we didn't fake injuries vs Oregon, why would we do it vs UW. That about sums up how he feels about UW.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:54 pm
  • I like that.

"We didn't fake injuries vs Oregon"

"So why would we fake injuries against the JV version of Oregon?"
    cesame
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:48 pm
  • CPHawk wrote:The best part is when he said, we didn't fake injuries vs Oregon, why would we do it vs UW. That about sums up how he feels about UW.

That's how classless the tool is. Regardless of his feelings about U-Dub, or any program, you don't throw something out like that. Aside from his boyfriend Harbaugh, how many coaches do you hear speak like that...and do so while lying through their teeth?

What's with these Stanford coaches? I'd sure love to chat with Denny Green. I'dlike to hear more about his exit...his "promotion" to NFL coach. Unless I'm mistaken, and I don't believe I am, Wasn't it Douchebag Walsh that helped Green become the "first black NFL HC" (so that he could return to HC duties at "The Farm"). I've heard Green speak casually about this matter, and in that particular interview, he didn't appear overly grateful about the way the whole thing actually went down.

It's no wonder so many aspiring attorneys flock to Stanford. They don't just teach lying...they coach it, too.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:03 am
  • It certainly looked like Stanford faked injuries, but that kind of thing really shouldn't bother anybody, IMO. If it bothers coaches they should push for a rule change to discourage the practice, such as forcing injured players to miss the remainder of the drive.

I didn't see a single replay of the final pass where you could tell with stone cold certainty that the ball contacts the ground. It does appear to "bounce" slightly, but it very well could have bounced off the receivers hand or arm. If you ask me what I "think", I think it was probably an incomplete pass. But there wasn't any hard proof it hit the ground, and it was ruled a catch on the field. If evidence is not conclusive, the play is not to be overturned. Therefore, the correct ruling would have been to say "I don't know, call stands." Maybe not in those exact words though. They'd probably just say the "call stands" part.

Let's not forget either, this was a call that decided a football game. If you aren't sure which way to call it, you shouldn't call it in such a way that ends the game. No impartial observer ever wants to see a game decided by the officials, especially if it's in controversial fashion. Not every such situation can be like the Fail Mary and better the greater good as a result.

Allegedly, Stanford could not challenge either, and the previous challenge happened within the final two minutes and wasn't automatic. Either the UW penalty shouldn't have been challenged or the previous play Stanford challenged (it was within the last 2 minutes) shouldn't have cost Stanford a timeout. Either way, there was a mistake by the officials there.

As far as Shaw, I don't get it. Comes across like a sore winner. Maybe he's trying to copy Harbaugh's success by copying Harbaugh's bully mentality.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:28 am
  • kearly wrote:I didn't see a single replay of the final pass where you could tell with stone cold certainty that the ball contacts the ground. It does appear to "bounce" slightly, but it very well could have bounced off the receivers hand or arm. If you ask me what I "think", I think it was probably an incomplete pass. But there wasn't any hard proof it hit the ground, and it was ruled a catch on the field. If evidence is not conclusive, the play is not to be overturned. Therefore, the correct ruling would have been to say "I don't know, call stands." Maybe not in those exact words though. They'd probably just say the "call stands" part.

Let's not forget either, this was a call that decided a football game. If you aren't sure which way to call it, you shouldn't call it in such a way that ends the game. No impartial observer ever wants to see a game decided by the officials, especially if it's in controversial fashion. Not every such situation can be like the Fail Mary and better the greater good as a result.

Allegedly, Stanford could not challenge either, and the previous challenge happened within the final two minutes and wasn't automatic. Either the UW penalty shouldn't have been challenged or the previous play Stanford challenged (it was within the last 2 minutes) shouldn't have cost Stanford a timeout. Either way, there was a mistake by the officials there.

Nah man, that ball bounced off the ground. I don't know why people can't see that.
    Gap Filler
    NET Rookie

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:39 pm
  • The ball does move when it reaches the ground but his hand is under it. Maybe it does touch the ground, or maybe the "bounce" was from his hand. I think it probably touched the ground, but there isn't clear evidence because the hand is under it and we don't know which factor made the ball turn.

If it had been called incomplete on the field I would have been fine with the decision. But to me this clearly does not meet the "indisputable" requirement for an over turn. I also still have no idea why the challenge was legal in the first place. Is there a special rule for 4th downs or something? Because the automatic final 2 minute challenge rule we have in the NFL did not apply a few plays earlier in this same game, and Stanford was out of challenges.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:54 pm
  • kearly wrote:It certainly looked like Stanford faked injuries, but that kind of thing really shouldn't bother anybody, IMO. If it bothers coaches they should push for a rule change to discourage the practice, such as forcing injured players to miss the remainder of the drive.

I didn't see a single replay of the final pass where you could tell with stone cold certainty that the ball contacts the ground. It does appear to "bounce" slightly, but it very well could have bounced off the receivers hand or arm. If you ask me what I "think", I think it was probably an incomplete pass. But there wasn't any hard proof it hit the ground, and it was ruled a catch on the field. If evidence is not conclusive, the play is not to be overturned. Therefore, the correct ruling would have been to say "I don't know, call stands." Maybe not in those exact words though. They'd probably just say the "call stands" part.

As far as Shaw, I don't get it. Comes across like a sore winner. Maybe he's trying to copy Harbaugh's success by copying Harbaugh's bully mentality.

Beautiful post, Kearly. Much more eloquent than I could have penned it. Like yourself, I'm not freaking about the faking. I would like to see the rule modified to at least keep such shenanigans to a minimum. Perhaps the player needs to sit for 3 plays. Unsure, that's difficult, too. Players do legitimately get dinged, but if they don't do something, it could get very out of hand and become more Hollywood than football. Stanford (for 1) will likely start recruiting actor / athletes as opposed to student / athletes.

I am being a bit redundant, but the antics and lack of sportsmanship shared by both Harbaugh and Shaw is uncanny. I am going to remain confident that ultimately, the BS of both men will come back to bite them in the ass and hopefully become their undoing. Hopefully it will turn off recruits that want to win with class and shun such theatrics.

I can't imagine an AD of such a respectable university buying in to the crap Shaw is selling. I have rooted for UO...OK, I don't recall ever rooting for UO, but I hope they mentally cripple Shaw and his team and I hope the same happens in their bowl. Losing is one thing, poor sportsmanship another. Put the 2 together and someone may be seeking alternative employment. Shaw would fit in well with that 9er org, thinks me.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:53 pm
  • Kearly I was under the impression that in college every play is under review, which would explain why the review was granted in the first place.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:47 pm
  • Shaw is full of sh@t.

He even lied about Skov's injury/MRI, guy is two-faced.
    "Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:20 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information