Beavs and Cougs

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
Beavs and Cougs
Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:28 pm
  • All the attention will be on Ducks vs Dawgs, and rightfully so. But I think WSU vs OSU could actually be the better, and more entertaining, game. The ball should be flying all over the paloose, wouldn't be surprised if there is more then 100 passes thrown.

I've got WSU winning 49-42.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Re: Beavs and Cougs
Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:20 pm
  • You are out of your mind. UW vs Oregon is by far the bigger attraction.
    CallMeADawg
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:21 pm
  • CallMeADawg wrote:You are out of your mind. UW vs Oregon is by far the bigger attraction.

Isnt that exactly what I said in the first sentence?

Just because its the biggest attraction doesn't mean it will end up being the best game.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:28 pm
  • J's right though, this will be a very cool game. I love, love, love the Cougs are back to at least "respectable". Yeah, Cal aint good, but still, that was awesomeness last week.

XOXO

Rueben Mayes
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:44 pm
  • I hope any Cougar fan that shows up at UW's Game Day thing gets punched in the throat, just gonna put it out there.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:57 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:I hope any Cougar fan that shows up at UW's Game Day thing gets punched in the throat, just gonna put it out there.

You don't actually think gameday is there to see the Huskies do you?

Cougs and Huskies alike need to get out of the way so the ESPN crew can see the attraction they came to see.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:58 pm
  • Is gameday here Saturday?
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:59 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Is gameday here Saturday?

Yes sir.

Will you go and carry my sign for me? With a big O that says "Screw The Day, Win The Decade"?
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:01 pm
  • I thought you wanted "Jseahawks wants Corso in his hOle!"?
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:01 pm
  • Not after his stroke. Herbstreet though....
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:24 pm
  • Word going around is that Game Day is going to be set up in Red Square with Drumheller as the backdrop, FYI.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:28 pm
  • The WSU flag will be there, just like it is wherever gameday goes. If that is an issue of contention, I think you take the rivalry too seriously.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:32 pm
  • Yeah, what's the story of the Coug flag being at every Gameday? Its awesome, all kinds of awesome.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:34 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Yeah, what's the story of the Coug flag being at every Gameday? Its awesome, all kinds of awesome.

What started as a bit of a gag Oct. 18, 2003 has turned into a “dead-on tradition,” Witthuhn said. In 2003, a few loyal WSU fans thought bringing a flag to a GameDay broadcast would persuade the show to take a trip to Pullman. At the time, the Cougars were battling for a Rose Bowl berth.

“We were a really good team at that point and we wanted College GameDay to come to Pullman,” Witthuhn said. “The fan base started doing it.”

Here’s how it works: Two alumni coordinators, Tom Pounds and Cameron McCoy, call or e-mail those individuals near the site of the upcoming GameDay broadcast, once ESPN announces the location. After a volunteer steps forward, a flag kit is shipped to the individual from the site of the previous GameDay appearance. It’s not cheap: Witthuhn and D. Scott Heath, another WSU fan among Saturday’s crowd, said the cost for shipping the two flags from GameDay set to GameDay set costs $1,500 a year.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/09/washing ... tradition/
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:42 pm
  • Regarding the game, its going to be a shootout, sellout crowd, two different passing games, Cougs dink and dunk then hit you over the top, Oregon State pushes the ball downfield, posts, ins, seam routes, should be a real fun game. Both secondaries have issues, WSU is weak at strong safety and it leads to a lot of miscommunications on deep balls. They also run some creative stuff back there that goads qbs into picks, but sometimes i feel like the kids get confused.

OSU has come into Pullman and kicked the Cougs teeth in for years now, it would be lovely to reverse that trend and get one win closer to a bowl game, its going to be tough though.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:45 pm
  • Jseahawks, that story is awesome. So awesome. That's everything right about college sports.

Awesome.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:52 pm
  • Yea, its pretty cool. I actually never watch gameday and didn't know anything about that tradition until today.

Supposedly Softy on the radio today offered a 20 dollar bounty to the UW fan who brings him those flags, which is some BS. "Lil Kim" on Dawgman is saying that the Cougs shouldn't fly them on UW's campus "out of respect". Which is even more BS. Hopefully they've got some security for the Coug fans with the flags this weekend.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:09 pm
  • Anybody see that tweet by that fat douche bag Softy Mahler? About ripping down the flag at Gameday? The non-alum offered any Mutt kid $100 to pull it down.

Subsequently, Chris Myers issued a tweet in response saying that the Coug flag will fly without interference by the local cupcake fanbase. Later that day, KJR put there foot to Mahler's jowls and he backtracked and said he was "just kidding." Either way, I'm sure he enraged a few basement-dwelling Mutt students...once they get a few B&J Fuzzy Navels in them, watch out!

BTW: Softy Mahler and bestiality. SMK5P.
    DohBoy
    NET Starter

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:18 pm
  • Softy always does crap like that, pops off and then backs off saying "Just kidding come on guys can't you take a joke?"

He is living proof that the most obnoxious UW fans didn't even go to UW. The many alums I know are by and large pretty cool.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:19 pm
  • Softy is the name of his weiner.
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:31 pm
  • I didn't see what Softy said (he's a blowhard), but I'm not really sure why WSU gets a pass to fly their flag just because they have a cute story. I wouldn't expect WSU fans to let us do the same thing.
    :229031_shrug:
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:38 pm
  • seahawk2k wrote:He is living proof that the most obnoxious UW fans didn't even go to UW. The many alums I know are by and large pretty cool.

We all understand it's about geography and not institutional ties: Spend your whole life w/in 25 miles of where you first shit a diaper and you naturally grow up to be a Mutt fan.

I mean, how else do you explain a guy like Softy? Here's this loudmouth with a big ol' rack of titties, an A/A from a local community college and yet he's the biggest Husky Honk on earth. It's simply desperation to leach onto something...he's a chubby barnacle stuck to a once glamorous ship that sails on reputation alone.

Christ, I wouldn't be surprised if he drives a '91 IROC "Billy Joe" Camaro and still gets down with the smoove-grooves of "Purple Rain."
    DohBoy
    NET Starter

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:48 pm
  • razgriz737 wrote:I didn't see what Softy said (he's a blowhard), but I'm not really sure why WSU gets a pass to fly their flag just because they have a cute story. I wouldn't expect WSU fans to let us do the same thing.

They've been doing it for so long, why should they have to adjust their tradition to appease the weak sensibilities of a cross-state rival?

Perhaps, instead of whining about the Cougs flying their flag, the Mutt fanbase ought to concentrate on the team at hand and the tens-of-thousands of obnoxious (and rightfully so) Duck fans screaming "9-AND-0" at Northern California University, Montlake.

Don't put your horses before the lawn mower, Mutt friends. You should have learned that lesson during the defeated season and at last year's Apple Cup.

Last edited by DohBoy on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    DohBoy
    NET Starter

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:59 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:I hope any Cougar fan that shows up at UW's Game Day thing gets punched in the throat, just gonna put it out there.

You don't actually think gameday is there to see the Huskies do you?

Cougs and Huskies alike need to get out of the way so the ESPN crew can see the attraction they came to see.

You think they actually came to see Russell Wilson? I dunno man, the game on Saturday might be pretty good.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:08 pm
  • DohBoy wrote:
    razgriz737 wrote:I didn't see what Softy said (he's a blowhard), but I'm not really sure why WSU gets a pass to fly their flag just because they have a cute story. I wouldn't expect WSU fans to let us do the same thing.

They've been doing it for so long, why should they have to adjust their tradition to appease the weak sensibilities of a cross-state rival?

Huh. I guess I didn't realize it was this big tradition. I didn't even know about it till I read this thread. I've never watched Game Day either though.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:31 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    pehawk wrote:Is gameday here Saturday?

Yes sir.

Will you go and carry my sign for me? With a big O that says "Screw The Day, Win The Decade"?

I don't get it...what's the O stand for?
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:38 pm
  • HawkWow wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:

Yes sir.

The number of wins for UW in the last decade.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:41 pm
  • Sweet, i will sport a shirt that says:

59 > 42
    CallMeADawg
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:44 pm
  • CallMeADawg wrote:Sweet, i will sport a shirt that says:

59 > 42

Make sure it has the 49ers logo on it.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:45 pm
  • CallMeADawg wrote:Sweet, i will sport a shirt that says:

59 > 42

You can probably order them from the same online joint that sells those annoying "FIVE SUPER BOWL RINGS!!!" hoodies.
    DohBoy
    NET Starter

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:47 pm
  • You cant mention 9 years (players not even on your team today) and expect me not to come back with the full picture. We have played 105 times, 58 wins for UW and 42 wins for Oregon. Its history of games played directly between the two teams. You can take your 49ers argument elsewhere.
    CallMeADawg
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:49 pm
  • DohBoy wrote:
    CallMeADawg wrote:Sweet, i will sport a shirt that says:

59 > 42

You can probably order them from the same online joint that sells those annoying "FIVE SUPER BOWL RINGS!!!" hoodies.

105 Apple Cups. 67 wins for UW, 32 for WSU. Apples to Oranges to compare Superbowls to games played yearly between the two teams.

Seriously you guys fail at rivalry. Rivalry != Championships.
    CallMeADawg
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:50 pm
  • CallMeADawg wrote:You cant mention 9 years (players not even on your team today) and expect me not to come back with the full picture. We have played 105 times, 58 wins for UW and 42 wins for Oregon. Its history of games played directly between the two teams. You can take your 49ers argument elsewhere.

There's a heck of a big difference between a streak that is currently on going and what happened in 1948. Win this weekend and I wont get to mention the streak anymore.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:12 pm
  • Yeah never has the downfall and upward trend of one program versus the other occurred so quickly. Oregon has benefited from that, quite a bit.
    CallMeADawg
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:12 am
  • Should be a great game across the mountains. Hoping the tables turn this year and we start beating some Oregon teams. Halliday still scares me. Ball control, kid, ball control.

seahawk2k wrote:...the most obnoxious UW fans didn't even go to UW. The many alums I know are by and large pretty cool.

Agreed.
    "The problem with the internet is, that one can never trust the authenticity of a source." - Abraham Lincoln
    Hawker
    NET Rookie

Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:00 am
  • CallMeADawg wrote:I think legacies are very important (Husky Honk Mode).

I don't think legacies are very important at all (Husky Honk in Seahawk Mode, dealing with a "Five Super Bowls" 49er Fan).

BTW, "Alabama," here's where we are in recent memory:

Wazzu is the last Washington school to play in a Rose Bowl.
    Wazzu is the last Washington school to beat Oregon.
    Wazzu is five-and-five in the last ten Apple Cups.
    Wazzu is the reigning Apple Cup Champion.

Now it's your turn: Tell us (again) about those purple leather helmets, the Hindenburg and all those glorious wins of yesteryear. Oh, don't forget to include a description of how to do the "Lindy Hop."

DohBoy
    NET Starter

Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:13 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:

Yes sir.

The number of wins for UW in the last decade.

How can that be, JSea?...

Sark gets us 7 wins a year, whether we need them or not. I'm kidding, I understand you meant against the big O. How time flies.

I have a serious question, you'd likely be able to answer, if you'd be so generous. I warn you, this is a bit crazy but.....

Let's say UW beats UO. Then UO beats Stanford and all 3 of us win out. How do they decide the the rep for the North? Does it go to SOS then pt differential? Just curious as to the formula they use to break this (unlikely) 3 way tie?
    I thank you in advance.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:15 pm
  • DohBoy wrote:BTW, "Alabama," here's where we are in recent memory:

Wazzu is the last Washington school to play in a Rose Bowl.
    Wazzu is the last Washington school to beat Oregon.
    Wazzu is five-and-five in the last ten Apple Cups.
    Wazzu is the reigning Apple Cup Champion.

Now it's your turn: Tell us (again) about those purple leather helmets, the Hindenburg and all those glorious wins of yesteryear. Oh, don't forget to include a description of how to do the "Lindy Hop."

Wazzu is the only Washington school that has not won a Rose Bowl since 1916, when Woodrow Wilson was President.
    Wazzu did beat Oregon last. Good for you. This year will make 7 losses in row for you, keep the streak alive.
    Wazzu is the only school proud of a 5-5 record in the last 10 Apple Cups. UW is 10-5 in the last 15. UW leads 67–32–6. See what I did there?
    Wazzu and UW play next month, so enjoy your championship while you still can.
    CallMeADawg
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:37 pm
  • Who said we are proud? For all the chest beating superiority UW fans try and expel towards WSU, the last ten years have been a draw in the Apple Cup, and that's with Paul Wulff destroying this program for four years.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:47 pm
  • seahawk2k wrote:Who said we are proud? For all the chest beating superiority UW fans try and expel towards WSU, the last ten years have been a draw in the Apple Cup, and that's with Paul Wulff destroying this program for four years.

Using it as a point of emphasis against the Dawgs would infer pride; especially when you are listing out accomplishments in the manner in which he did.
    CallMeADawg
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:02 pm
  • seahawk2k wrote:Who said we are proud? For all the chest beating superiority UW fans try and expel towards WSU, the last ten years have been a draw in the Apple Cup, and that's with Paul Wulff destroying this program for four years.

Hey, as bad as Wulff was...he never reached the ultimate low point for any NCAA Division 1 program: A Defeated Season.

If you haven't read it yet, here's a link to a greak Wiki article about the 2008 Mutts, including game-by-game breakdowns. It must be pure football porn for Duck fans...

(Also, at the bottom of that article, there is a link to the Wiki discussing the San Francisco 49ers' five Super Bowl victories).
    DohBoy
    NET Starter

Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:03 pm
  • I took it as recent history shows that UW really hasn't been that much more successful than WSU, if at all and the chest beating about superiority is related to an ancient superiority.

But, I understand you go in thinking that WSU fans have miserably low expectations and you want things to fit your paradigm. But remember 2007, we fired our coach after a five win season and an apple cup win, and UW kept their coach that same year after a 9 loss season.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:11 pm
  • College has always been for those I employ, not me. So, I root for the Cougs and the Dawgs, and will usually pull for whomever has the better Bowl opportunity come Apple Cup. But, I do tend to lean more towards UDub., just because I'm from Seattle.

With that, I must say, seahawks2k and DohBoy are working the Dawgs fans here. They are running this. Here's what I envision as they work over some Dawg fan running his mouth;

pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:25 pm
  • Yeah, the NCAA came down on UW pretty harshly. USC had it easy in comparison, and a lot of folks believe that UW was unjustly punished. That plus a long line of terrible coaches, and you can see that recruiting talent to play on a team that was banned from bowls, banned from television, and otherwise was gutted from contending would be impossible. Tyrone Willingham was terrible his entire time here, and they should have shown him the door prior to the 2008 season.

Its been about rebuilding and that process isn't a cake walk when you are in the position UW was in. The Dawgs are starting to show that the team is alive again. I like where UW is headed.

That is the recent history if you want to tell full stories. I would rather be a Husky fan at this point though, than a Cougar. That's just my two cents though.
    CallMeADawg
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:29 pm
  • pehawk wrote:College has always been for those I employ, not me. So, I root for the Cougs and the Dawgs, and will usually pull for whomever has the better Bowl opportunity come Apple Cup. But, I do tend to lean more towards UDub., just because I'm from Seattle.

With that, I must say, seahawks2k and DohBoy are working the Dawgs fans here. They are running this. Here's what I envision as they work over some Dawg fan running his mouth;

Where do I fit in this scenario? the guy in the back thinking to himself "I really hate this state"? Cuz thats spot on.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:44 pm
  • Of course you would, the Huskies are further ahead than the Cougars right now.

And yeah, UW got completely shafted with the sanctions in 1993, but Don James promoting his dimwitted son in law to OC in 1992 lost them a Rose Bowl and another undefeated season. Then the "Dawgfather" threw a hissy fit when Lambright wisely canned Woodruff's sorry ass after the 93 season and didn't talk to his former DC for a couple years. Or does that truth go against canon?

You can't blame the sanctions on what happened after about 1999 once Lambright recruited and built that team Slick Rick took to the Rose Bowl. Instead they got crippled by a dumbass AD more interested in women's lacrosse and how Rick's ass looked like in khaki's to run an effective athletic department. Then you had that fancyman Todd Turner who wanted to turn UW into I don't know exactly what? Made two terrible hires, and one good one. The dude was a gutless turd. That has nothing to do with sanctions.

Fact is, UW football is always going to be in a fight with the admin up on the hill, it slayed them once when they buried the program in 92 after forcing out Mike Lude, and I'm sure it will happen again.

That's the recent history, a flurry of missteps that happened in house, not just the big bad Pac-10 eating its own.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:00 pm
  • And I'll happily remain a Coug fan, in good times (seldom) and bad (more often).

I guess that's a big difference between Cougs and Pooches: Honks tend to be a bit fair-weathered. Until recently, a lot of that purple-and-pee gear has been sittin' in the back of the closet...next to the Star Trek and cosplay outfits. I guess, when most of your fans are "geographical alums" (as opposed to real ones), that comes w/the territory.

Of course, a few of the guys around here have other team's jerseys in hiding...

DohBoy
    NET Starter

Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:04 pm
  • UW was sanctioned again in 2004, fired Slick Rick, and had another piss poor year of football with Jim at the helm. I am sure that looked like a great place for parents to send their kids to go to school and play football, right?

Yeah I am going with "No" on that one...

Here we are in 2013 and it finally looks like the dark days are well behind UW and they are on their way to getting back to winning traditions.

On the topic of bandwagon, that isn't me. I was born a Dawg, and I graduate from UW in 2015.
    CallMeADawg
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:11 pm
  • I didn't go to college, but my family is all dawg fans, I had no choice in the matter. Same goes for any other Seattle based sports team that was around before 1988, aside from the mariners, I drop out of that last season.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:20 pm
  • Maybe I am a fairweather, limp-wrister when it comes to football? I mean, I root for the Dawgs, but also the Cougs? I'll pull for the team with most bowl potential in the apple cup.

Tough to admit...

But, I still hate Oregon.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Next

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:52 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information