Early thoughts on the 2014 draft class

pehawk

Reaction score
I think you're British, so its odd you do a football blog. And, I know it sounds too simple, but SEC QB's scare me. They just do. There's an exception to every rule, but especially a LSU QB scares me.

And, I like Boyd a lot more than most.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
When Boyd's at his best (eg: LSU last year) he's a terrific player. But his best only seems to appear 2-3 times a year. Saturday was a classic example... lot of good stuff vs Syracuse, but a wild overthrow on an easy pass that's intercepted, a handful of cases where he's making his receiver work hard, missed on a couple.

He's the kind of guy I'd draft, but I wouldn't want my wagon hitched to him as a GM. I'd want a get out that you don't get when you take a guy in R1. So basically, round two and I'm in.

pehawk

Reaction score
Yeah, makes sense. Plus, you're coming at it from a bit more of a "value" perspective than I do. I just like players, with little thought towards what round would his peak value be at.

Great content though.

cover-2

Reaction score
Very good write up! I have a few Florida St players I would like to add to your list, despite the teams overall success. Since we are going to be selecting towards the bottom of round 1 I haven't bothered scouting the top prospects. It's good to see your thoughts on the top prospects without fear of rocking the draftnik/scouting boat. Van Noy over Barr catches my eye as does Beckham over Sammy Watkins. I actually thought Van Noy was underrated coming into this season, but I would have never thought Barr taking a step back this year.

I kind of disagree with the excitement level of this draft though. If we were picking in the top-10, then hell yes I would be border line depressed about the 2014 draft, due to the lack of elite prospects. Every year there are only a hand full of elite pospects, then after those elite there is the next maybe 10-12 prospects that still have teams or draftniks excited. IMO before every draft, the projected players to be taken at the bottom of the 1st round or top of the 2nd round are either just solid prospects that may or may not be good players OR they are players who are considered to be high upside prospects that may have had a disappoing year or some scandle that dropped them a half a round.

If the draft were today and the following players were available when we select at the bottom of round 1...Who would you take?
A) Alabama (S) HaHa Clinton Dix
B) USC (WR) Marquise Lee
C) Notre Dame (DT) Louis Nix
D) Washington (TE) Austin Seferian-Jenkins
E) Notre Dame (DE) Stephon Tuitt
Odell Beckham is off the board, already selected.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Tough question. In the late first I'm more willing to take a shot on Nix. Ditto Marqise Lee. I wouldn't draft Tuitt and ASJ has been one of the bigger disappoints for me this year. Not sure we need another safety.

I'll go Marqise Lee, presuming we cut Rice and lose Tate in FA.

pehawk

Reaction score
I think ASJ's disappointment level is the switch to a spread attack. Yeah, other teams utilize TE's on that offense, but that's a final layer added on, usually.

jhern87

Reaction score
Marquise Lee .. Great hands and maybe even better after the catch.

kigenzun

Reaction score
cover-2":1ftik4j4 said:
If the draft were today and the following players were available when we select at the bottom of round 1...Who would you take?
B) USC (WR) Marquise Lee

Louis Nix, NT, Notre Dame.

Mebane's getting a little long in the tooth, and I have no confidence in Jesse Williams, Sealver Silaga, &/or Greg "he aint no MikeRob" Scruggs ever panning out. We still don't know how the WR situation will play out, but I believe they cut Rice and resign Baldwin & Tate. Regardless... we do know for certain that we need to stop the run, and force the opposition into the teeth of the LOB on 3rd and longs, so I'll draft a backup 1-Tech in case of injury to (and for future replacement of) Mebane.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Great share on Beckham. I hadn't heard much of him until reading this piece, so I watched his tape along with some of Mettenberger to watch him closer. He's very impressive. Like you said, a complete, big-time receiver who just looks like an NFL player already. His size will probably turn off some Hawks fans wanting a taller, bigger player like a Mike Evans from Texas A&M, but it's hard to ignore talent, and the kid has it.

@Cover-2, you mentioned you've watched some FSU players, so I'm guessing you're a fan? Rashad Greene is another fun receiver on tape, especially his route-running which is exceptional. What's your thoughts on him? Now, in his case, his size does concern me a bit.

cover-2

Reaction score
kigenzun":143xq5eo said:
cover-2":143xq5eo said:
B) USC (WR) Marquise Lee

Louis Nix, NT, Notre Dame.

Mebane's getting a little long in the tooth, and I have no confidence in Jesse Williams, Sealver Silaga, &/or Greg "he aint no MikeRob" Scruggs ever panning out. We still don't know how the WR situation will play out, but I believe they cut Rice and resign Baldwin & Tate. Regardless... we do know for certain that we need to stop the run, and force the opposition into the teeth of the LOB on 3rd and longs, so I'll draft a backup 1-Tech in case of injury to (and for future replacement of) Mebane.

I'm a big believer in stocking quality talent on the d-line as well as the o-line and I would be tempted to use a 1st round or 2nd round pick on the lines every year. So I like Nix and Tuitt, but Rice is a must cut after this year. His production is not worth all the money he is making, that money needs to be shifted to our young core players. So with said I would take Marquise Lee to fill the void of Rice.

kigenzun":143xq5eo said:
Greg "he aint no MikeRob" Scruggs

I totally agree that Greg Scruggs is a big downgrade from MikeRob when it comes to interviewing teammates. I came across Iowa St DB Jacques Washington who has 1st round ability as team reporter. Washington interviews teammeates and coaches for the school's TV or internet station. Below is a clip of him interviewing some teammates.

[youtube]655JkNkaFNU[/youtube]

He is also a decent player, he is a team captain, led his team in tackles last year, and supposedly has good speed. I haven't scouted him, but at 6'1" 220 lbs he has good size for a (FS). Take a flier on him late in the draft so we don't have to listen to Scruggs. Here is Washington's scouting report.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/archive/1665321

cover-2

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":3vjbqpjz said:
@Cover-2, you mentioned you've watched some FSU players, so I'm guessing you're a fan? Rashad Greene is another fun receiver on tape, especially his route-running which is exceptional. What's your thoughts on him? Now, in his case, his size does concern me a bit.

I'm a U of Washington fan first then Florida St is my second favorite team, also FSU is loaded with upperclassmen that are legit NFL prospects. I honestly haven't scouted Greene, but he and his teammate (WR) Kenny Shaw have stood out when I've scouted their games. The FSU (WR) that I have been scouting is Kelvin "the Freak" Benjamin, who has been somewhat of a disappointment......I just took a look at one of Greene's game tapes and he looks like he could fill the void of Baldwin. While Greene is a bit thin he showed the toughness to take a hit the few times he went across the middle of the field. He doesn't play or look as fragile as former Seahawks (WR) Deon Butler. I do like Greene better than Boston College (WR) Alex Amidon and if Greene were available in the 4th round I would hope to get him.

kigenzun

Reaction score
cover-2":2sc98ji3 said:
I totally agree that Greg Scruggs is a big downgrade from MikeRob when it comes to interviewing teammates. I came across Iowa St DB Jacques Washington who has 1st round ability as team reporter. Washington interviews teammeates and coaches for the school's TV or internet station. Below is a clip of him interviewing some teammates.

[youtube]655JkNkaFNU[/youtube]

He is also a decent player, he is a team captain, led his team in tackles last year, and supposedly has good speed. I haven't scouted him, but at 6'1" 220 lbs he has good size for a (FS). Take a flier on him late in the draft so we don't have to listen to Scruggs. Here is Washington's scouting report.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/archive/1665321

Now, see, that young gentleman knows how to conduct an interview! My favorite one was "Now, BIG DOG...yer only 19... but yer hairline's 40... can you explain that for us?" We should take a late round/UDFA flyer on him just for interviewing skills alone...and to com'Pete for the backup Free Safety job with Maragos/Jeron of course.

And btw, y'all are probably right on taking Marquise Lee; it was a tough call given the choices (and lack of choice:OL?!?) but how can ya not root for a guy the ladies call 'Chocolate Love'?

Red Beard

Reaction score
cover-2":2d1cx0qh said:
Recon_Hawk":2d1cx0qh said:

I'm a U of Washington fan first then Florida St is my second favorite team, also FSU is loaded with upperclassmen that are legit NFL prospects. I honestly haven't scouted Greene, but he and his teammate (WR) Kenny Shaw have stood out when I've scouted their games. The FSU (WR) that I have been scouting is Kelvin "the Freak" Benjamin, who has been somewhat of a disappointment......I just took a look at one of Greene's game tapes and he looks like he could fill the void of Baldwin. While Greene is a bit thin he showed the toughness to take a hit the few times he went across the middle of the field. He doesn't play or look as fragile as former Seahawks (WR) Deon Butler. I do like Greene better than Boston College (WR) Alex Amidon and if Greene were available in the 4th round I would hope to get him.

I've been watching Kelvin Benjamin for a while as well and I've never really liked him as a WR, however, I'm wondering how well he'd convert to a pass catching TE. If anyone cares to chime in, it'd be appreciated. If I wanted a receiver in rounds 3-5 (yes, I know we don't have a 3rd, but that could change), Paul Richardson is someone I really like. Donte Moncrief as well, but I'm not sure either make it that far by the time the draft rolls around.

cover-2

Reaction score
Red Beard":1lt2tk41 said:
cover-2":1lt2tk41 said:
Recon_Hawk":1lt2tk41 said:

I've been watching Kelvin Benjamin for a while as well and I've never really liked him as a WR, however, I'm wondering how well he'd convert to a pass catching TE. If anyone cares to chime in, it'd be appreciated. If I wanted a receiver in rounds 3-5 (yes, I know we don't have a 3rd, but that could change), Paul Richardson is someone I really like. Donte Moncrief as well, but I'm not sure either make it that far by the time the draft rolls around.

I personally don't like the idea of moving Benjamin to TE, he is a miss-match when CB's cover him. He has enough speed (looks to be somewhere between 4.55 - 4.65 40-yard) to stick at WR and he has the size to go up and get the jump ball. He is not a good route runner, probably never will be. 49ers TE Vance McDonald made the switch from WR to TE his senior year, so in theory it may be a good idea. I'm guessing that he has a poor work ethic and telling a player with a poor work ethic that he is going to switch positions is probably not going to work. I have noticed a couple times this year that he does not seem to always know where to line up; a couple of times I have seen him ask the QB where to line up and another time his coach was getting on him because they had to call a time out because of him. He is only a redshirt sophomore and probably shouldn't declare.

Richardson is so skinny and really needs to put on some weight. He is 6'0" 170 lbs. that is just too thin and IMO he needs to stay for his senior year so he can bulk up to at least to 180 lbs. Moncrief has to be on our radar, he has the size and speed that Coach Carroll wants in his WR's.