Lyerla quits on Oregon

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Damn. Throwing a lot away. All he had to do was get through one season. Hope he can get whatever is going on in his life figured out. I don't know this for a fact, but I wouldnt be surprised if he got kicked off the team and this is just Colt and Helfrich trying to protect his reputation.

Oh well, not shocked by this news. Gets rid of a distraction.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Aaron Fentress (Ducks beat writer) is reporting that sources tell him Colt was repeatedly missing meetings and team activities, and Helfrich told him that if he missed another one he'd be kicked off the team.

drrew

Reaction score
For his sake, hopefully he can get his shite together because he's talented enough that he can bring he and his family riches beyond what he could have ever imagined.

He'll still get drafted because his workout numbers will be absolutely freakish, but I wouldn't count on him to ever amount to anything.

Gap Filler

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3t2ombqb said:
Aaron Fentress (Ducks beat writer) is reporting that sources tell him Colt was repeatedly missing meetings and team activities, and Helfrich told him that if he missed another one he'd be kicked off the team.

In that article it said he's first round good. Is that true?

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Lyerla is most definitely First round good. Explosive athlete who is physical. Not many humans that size can move like he can. Too bad he's throwing it all away. I'd still gamble with a 4th rounder on him though. He could be right below Jimmy Graham as the most explosive TE in the NFL.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Gap Filler":2p55qcsa said:
JSeahawks":2p55qcsa said:

In that article it said he's first round good. Is that true?

He is without question a first round athlete. Whether he's a 1st round tight end could be debated, and has been. Personally I thought he was worth a shot in the first round, now I wouldn't touch him until the late rounds.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Hey J. Do you have a reader's digest version of what's going on with this guy? I remember you talking him up for his talent which is obviously still there. Back when you were talking him up did he have off field issues. Did this just start recently? The only thing I know about him is what you were saying before.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
What a dumb ass.

I think it's time we can appreciate that's what he is.

And now he has plenty of time to tweet conspiracy theories about horrible tragedies.

cover-2

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":23f0gpcy said:
Lyerla is most definitely First round good. Explosive athlete who is physical. Not many humans that size can move like he can. Too bad he's throwing it all away. I'd still gamble with a 4th rounder on him though. He could be right below Jimmy Graham as the most explosive TE in the NFL.

I agree he is worth a 4th round gamble. That seems to be the round that we will take a player that if he just doesn't work out they will cut. Although, I would recommend him to transfer to Alabama St so he could play next year and repair his reputation in the minds of NFL executives.

jhern87

Reaction score
I'm hearing drugs may be playing a role here. Really unfortunate.

CPHawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":8k7r2s6b said:
Sounds like he was acting a bit Clowney.

Problem for Colt is UO has plenty of talent behind him who can play TE effectively, not many guys can take Clowneys spot without the team seeing a drop off.

True fr Johnny Muhnt has played great this year, and Pharaoh Brown (6'6 240) is finally healthy.

kearly

Reaction score
GMs make a pretty big deal out of players who quit their teams. Especially players who had a reputation for being mentally unstable before quitting.

I'm not saying he goes undrafted, but there will be teams who will take him completely off their draft board.

I don't think GMs will skim over the fact that Lyerla had just two catches this year either.

This situation kind of reminds me of Vontaze Burfict.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":10co4svz said:
This situation kind of reminds me of Vontaze Burfict.

I thought that as well. Two things that make him falling out unlikely

1. Unlike Burfict, Lyerla will probably kill it at the combine. I don't see Lyerla running a 5+ 40 like Vontaze

2. Burfict example is worth heeding. He has turned into a solid pro starter.

Day 3 guy with possible late 3rd round if a good team takes a flyer on him. He's going to be hard to handicap where he goes. Physically, he should really stand out from your late 3rd round prospect. I'd still expect him to come off the board by round 5.

No telling how/if he goes to seed before next February. He'll need a great combine performance. Even in the best of times, he was only mildly productive.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
CPHawk":8ynsupe3 said:
http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2013/10/colt-lyerla-a-troubled-talent/

Solid article on Lyerla. IDK, he sounds like a guy Pete could coach and keep in line.

I just came here to post the same article! One of the better articles I've read in a long time.

When I asked the actual NFL scouts about how their teams will view Lyerla I got similar, indirect answers. One advised me that “my report will be that he’s never going to be worth the headaches. I can’t see us considering him after this quitting.” He pointed out that his team removed Mike Williams of Syracuse and Marquess Wilson of Washington State completely from their draft consideration when those players left their respective schools in recent years.

The other scout gave me a very interesting answer. He said he was sure his team would pass on Lyerla but he brought up two other franchises which might find his story appealing as a sort of feel-good reclamation story. When I asked if he thought Lyerla would be drafted I got this response:

“Drafted? Absolutely. He’s a second round talent at worst on the field. If he can piss clean (pass drug tests) and explain his issues, coaches will look over the bad issues.”

I asked him to speculate on which round Lyerla might wind up being drafted.

“Like I said, he’s got to piss clean. (We) won’t touch him if he’s left the team and is doing drugs. No way. If he pisses clean I think he can go in the fourth or fifth round. I would be surprised if we let him fall past that”, he told me. ”I’ll tell you this too, his agent is going to really have to earn his money. Up front damage control.”

The part in Bold really screams Seahawks and Pete Carroll to me.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I've heard he had all kinds of issues with his old man coming in and out of his life, and his mom never giving him any boundaries ever. Sounds like Chip leaving set all this in motion, he needs a positive coach who understands how to get through to him. But you have to wonder how he will react to a coach he likes retiring or getting fired.

JKent82

Reaction score
Seahawks and bengals probably. Hate to see guys throw stuff away but maybe he'll figure it out at the pro level.