Oregon vs. Washington

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Just for you, Daisy... :stirthepot:

When I grew up, the dominance of the rivalry was on the opposite side (Washington's) and Don James was 15-3 against them. Since then, its swung the other way, 14-5 in favor of the Ducks, with the majority of the thumping coming during the Husky dark days post-Slick Rick.

The Huskies seem to be turning the corner on having a quality program again. Can the Dawgs pull off the upset this year?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Geez Benji. You must be old.

This year? No. Next year when DAT, Mariota, Lyerla, Ifo are in the NFL. Maybe.

The Huskies are better this year. They're a damn good team. Their problem is that the Ducks are better too. This is the best Ducks team I've seen, both offensively and defensively. I love the fact that your offense is going up tempo. That means even if you guys score, the Ducks offense gets extra possessions. And that can only be a good thing.

To be honest I was more nervous about the match up last year. I expect the Ducks to beat the Dawgs by a larger margin this year then they have the last couple years. Next year might be your year though because I really like Cyler Miles, and UO will likely be losing a lot of talent (although we have a lot of young talent coming up too, so if you do win next year, you better enjoy it while you can!).

The team that scares me the most in the Pac 12 is UCLA and Stanford.

OP
OP
CallMeADawg

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Haha, Benji... Good one, Emilio Estevez.

I predict a shootout in this game. It is in Seattle, sold-out, and you know what those pesky Seattle fans are capable of doing, especially in our brand new crib. :D I think this one will be close, not a large blowout like the game in Eugene last year.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
We'll see Marley.

As a Duck fan, a shoot out, against any team in the country sounds good to me. Ducks won't lose a scoring contest too often.

UW offense looks good, but they're still in the first year in the system. UO has been running it for years. You guys remind me of Arizona last year. They came to Autzen all confident because they had this brand new, shiny high paced, spread offense under Rich Rod. And they left on the wrong end of a 49-0 beat down.

Plus, we all know (Husky and Duck fans alike) that if you put some pressure against Price he's good for a few "wtf" type interceptions a game. And the Ducks d'line is the strength of their team this year.

its not impossible that UW wins this year, and if they do i'll tip my cap and say good game. I just don't see it. If I had to predict the game right now i'd say something like 58-28 Ducks.

cesame

Reaction score
I still need to see Washington play a quality opponent.

OP
OP
CallMeADawg

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
You bet, Bert's Bath Partner.

My issue is that while they have impressive numbers... Nichols State, Virginia, and Tennessee make it hard to gauge Oregon this year. When I saw they had a bye, I was a bit disappointed as I wanted to see them in conference play. Cal and Colorado are not likely to put up much of a challenge either, so I guess we'll just have to see how things shake out come game day.

I am happy UW plays Stanford before Oregon. If they play fast and physical football and leave the farm with a win - I am confident that they can play well at home versus Oregon. The problem UW has had in the past is not related to their 1's per se, it was the lack of depth the team had, the massive amount of line injuries they were facing, and the fact that they just could not play that GREAT husky D that was a trademark during the Don James era.

I see more skill players and depth on this husky team than I have seen since 2001.

Keith really needs to take Russell's advice on avoiding mistakes. Last year I said "Really Keith? Really?!!" too many times.

cesame - I think that goes for all teams in the Pac12, minus WSU, and ORST.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":6g65ynm4 said:
My issue is that while they have impressive numbers... Nichols State, Virginia, and Tennessee make it hard to gauge Oregon this year.

Its not like UW has played Stanford, LSU and Alabama.

OP
OP
CallMeADawg

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
JSeahawks":276q0f2g said:
CallMeADawg":276q0f2g said:
My issue is that while they have impressive numbers... Nichols State, Virginia, and Tennessee make it hard to gauge Oregon this year.

Its not like UW has played Stanford, LSU and Alabama.

Agreed. I was speaking from the perspective of evaluating Oregon and Oregon alone. Same issue exists on the Dawgs side - thus why I commented on playing Stanford before the Oregon game.

cesame

Reaction score
Oregon is a known commodity. We already know they're elite as these players have already proven it over the past 2-3 years. They don't really have to prove it THIS season to know that they are elite.

OP
OP
CallMeADawg

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Maybe they can cap their elite play with a National Championship. The Dawgs did during their time in the spotlight. :) (did not want to go there, but some Duck fan always makes it happen..)

Back to what I actually said, versus inference - I personally wanted to see Oregon play a good team to see how they fared (from my own personal perspective) this year. Nothing wrong with that is there?

OP
OP
CallMeADawg

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3q75w547 said:
cesame":3q75w547 said:

Same with Oregon

Sadly the next quality opponent Oregon plays IS Washington. The Dawgs play Arizona, Stanford, then Oregon; The Ducks play Cal, Colorado, then Washington.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":3i0j2lkq said:
fenderbender123":3i0j2lkq said:
cesame":3i0j2lkq said:

Same with Oregon

Sadly the next quality opponent Oregon plays IS Washington. The Dawgs play Arizona, Stanford, then Oregon; The Ducks play Cal, Colorado, then Washington.

Some might say the next quality opponent Oregon plays is Stanford. ;)

I kid, I kid.

OP
OP
CallMeADawg

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Awfully arrogant to look past UW and UCLA... but that's the Duck way. Good thing you are a Hawks fan, at least you have an avenue to look at things objectively. Your college lenses need some cleaning. :p

HawkWow

Reaction score
It didn't take Oregon fans long to turn into the "elitists" they always chastised us for being. Not badmouthing that, or them, just an observation. I guess an elitist attitude is in reality just the bi-product of winning in dominant fashion. In which case "elitist" isn't very derogatory at all. It's a compliment.

Fans around the league will be using this same term to describe everything Hawks...real soon now. I'm OK with that.

chris98251

Reaction score
Getting into a shoot out with Oregon is like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

cesame

Reaction score
fenderbender123":30md2uzc said:
cesame":30md2uzc said:

Same with Oregon

You really don't, though. They're a known commodity. The players have proven they're elite over the course of a couple seasons. There's really nothing left to prove other than beating a top ranked SEC team in the NCG.

Washington has more to prove than Oregon.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I continue to be amazed at the lack of respect UO d is getting. UO has two corners who are both better than Trufant was. UW better become real good between the tackles, because you aren't beating oregon around the edges.

OP
OP
CallMeADawg

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
The day I see an Oregon product that dominates and destroys teams like the 1991 Huskies did, then I might agree with them on being "elite". And when I say dominates and destroys, I mean in the games and not just on the scoreboard. Those Dawgs were something else... I still wish they would have allowed Miami to play UW that year! Don James asked, and they declined!

Back to Oregon - for all of their recent dominance... what do they have to show for it? 1 Rose Bowl Win, and a random assortment of non-Rose bowl appearances and wins. I wont get into the UW list of accomplishments during the reign of the Dawgfather... but the list is long, and includes 3 national championships (2 arguable: 1984, 1990, 1 split with Miami: 1991).

That is why Husky fans are smug about the whole Oregon thing. IMO. Great you guys are awesome! Do something with that awesome.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":3fkoiie5 said:
The day I see an Oregon product that dominates and destroys teams like the 1991 Huskies did, then I might agree with them on being "elite". And when I say dominates and destroys, I mean in the games and not just on the scoreboard. Those Dawgs were something else... I still wish they would have allowed Miami to play UW that year! Don James asked, and they declined!

Back to Oregon - for all of their recent dominance... what do they have to show for it? 1 Rose Bowl Win, and a random assortment of non-Rose bowl appearances and wins. I wont get into the UW list of accomplishments during the reign of the Dawgfather... but the list is long, and includes 3 national championships (2 arguable: 1984, 1990, 1 split with Miami: 1991).

That is why Husky fans are smug about the whole Oregon thing. IMO. Great you guys are awesome! Do something with that awesome.

I suppose you're really impressed when the 49er fans come to our board and talk about all their old championships, huh?

Latest posts