FIRE KIFFIN!

HawkWow

Reaction score
LOL...I was going to scream NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

In all seriousness, I hate USC, but they're turning into something that it would be unfair to hate. Kiffin's taking all the fun out of it.

HawkWow

Reaction score
....your fellow OU fans will hate you for even suggesting such an (excellent) idea!

Even with Wilcox's lack of HC experience, I'd accept that move. Otherwise, Wilcox will bolt soon and Sark just don't do it for me. But with my luck, Sark would re-hire Monty Kiffin and they'd turn USC into another powerhouse. That would be hard to live with. For Dawg and Duck fans alike.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
HawkWow":1v7jjxbf said:
....your fellow OU fans will hate you for even suggesting such an (excellent) idea!

Even with Wilcox's lack of HC experience, I'd accept that move. Otherwise, Wilcox will bolt soon and Sark just don't do it for me. But with my luck, Sark would re-hire Monty Kiffin and they'd turn USC into another powerhouse. That would be hard to live with. For Dawg and Duck fans alike.

Ok, let me rethink this...

Sark to USC
Oregon State sweeps in and hires Wilcox to replace Mike Riley. Wilcox takes less money to come back to his home state.
UW hires Nick Holt to take over the head coach duties.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
JSeahawks":83elkubx said:
HawkWow":83elkubx said:

Sark to USC
Oregon State sweeps in and hires Wilcox to replace Mike Riley. Wilcox takes less money to come back to his home state.

I think you are having a moment of retardation.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":cprvnd0f said:

Sark to USC

What Tech said. This is too out there to even work as a joke.

I'd be stunned if Sark left for USC. UW is rising fast and USC is a fallen giant. Sark's next gig will probably be in the NFL, IMO. Pac-12 coaches are all the rage in the NFL right now.

Wilcox is gone after this season, probably. Maybe Wilcox goes to USC.

Nick Holt is currently the DC for the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers. May his tenure there be long and prosperous.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
On a serious note, if i'm USC I would go after either Charlie Strong from Louisville, James Franklin from Vanderbilt or Art Briles from Baylor.

Or Jon Gruden. I think he would be a GREAT college coach and recruiter, but i'm not sure that he'd take the job.

kearly

Reaction score
On topic: I thought they should have fired Kiffin a couple years ago. His team was consistently performing below their talent level, he seemed to lack leadership on the sidelines, he even looked pouty at times. Then you had the locker room rumors about divisiveness, which given all the other information, I am inclined to believe. Matt Barkley got white hot in 2011 and all it really did was cover up how poor of a coaching job Kiffin was doing. I have nothing against USC, but I have to admit, they did the rest of the conference a huge favor by holding on to a lost cause this long.

I bet Jon Gruden would take the offer. I hope that never happens, for lots of reasons. Mostly because if Gruden went to USC, I'd be forced to become a part-time USC fan.

Throwdown

Reaction score
JSeahawks":fahmhizb said:
I'm gonna start the rumor.

Sark back to USC. Wilcox to head coach for UW.

:stirthepot:

I like Sark, but I'm cool with that honestly...

I just have a man crush on Wilcox.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Didn't see their latest embarrassing loss, but how did this dude ever survive the jersey fake-out incident and the ball deflating debacle? It's really unbelievable that he's still coaching at a place like USC. Personally speaking, I wouldn't mind seeing stay there a few seasons longer...

SharkHawk

Reaction score
USC would be smart to make a run at 3 guys that are all in Utah.

1- Kyle Whittingham (Utah). He's as much of a Pete type as you'll find. Whit was supposedly offered multiple PAC 10 jobs prior to Utah making the jump (UW being one and UCLA also making a play). Really smart guy, really great recruiter, owns the poly pipeline that Pete had a great handle on, and is a brilliant x and o guy.

2- Bronco Mendenhall (BYU). If they want a clean program free of idiots, then Bronco would be an ideal choice. I don't think he ever leaves BYU, but other schools have come calling (Florida and UCLA supposedly both came after him... UCLA went hard and settled on Mora when Bronco said no thanks). Bronco typically has a top 10 defense, can recruit with anybody having scored top recruits like Jake Heaps (#1 recruit at QB), Kyle Van Noy (all american), Taysom Hill (left Stanford when Harbaugh did and chose BYU against tons of other suitors), Ross Apo (changed from Texas to BYU after his campus visit and meeting with Bronco) and many many others who have spurned bigger programs to play for him.

3- Matt Wells at Utah State. Wells is an amazingly good and innovative coach. He is only in his second game as a head coach, but ran the offense under Gary Anderson who just bolted for the Wisconsin job after last season. Wells coached Utah State to their greatest successes since the days of Merlin Olsen. He is a smart guy and a coach on the rise. Look at what Chuckie Keeton has developed into under Matt's tutelage. He has blossomed into a legit top player in the NCAA. Wells was going to get a head coaching job no matter what this season, and by Anderson leaving then the Utah State interview and hiring process literally took about 5 minutes. Nobody else was even considered. Now I'm sure he'll have a run up through jobs like Urban Meyer did. He is like Urban in the way he prepares, but unlike him in that he's not a complete jerk.

davidonmi

Reaction score
JSeahawks":qh3r5r8w said:
HawkWow":qh3r5r8w said:

Sark to USC
a lot of people are predicting Wilcox to OSU, but the truth is riley is extended through 2019 or something crazy. the Beaves are pretty much stuck with him for the next few years

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Riley is old and has considered retirement though. I don't doubt that he is stuck there for a while, but I think he'll get tired and want to pull a Belloti and move into administration and decompress at some point soon. Hard to believe he's 60... I was shocked when I first heard that he was considering walking away into retirement and I was like, "What?" I guess it adds up though. He left OSU to go to San Diego a long time ago.

I hope he goes out on good terms... like with a bowl win and then retires. He's a good cat.