Hypothetical trade

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Would you give up Sherman and a #1? Thomas and a #1? Would you do a Saints ala Ricky Williams type trade? Do you believe that the asking price would be so steep that you wouldn't even try it?

Throwdown

Reaction score
Saints type trade, hell I'd give 4 more 1st's on top of that, if we had Clowney it'd be no reason why they didn't win the Super for the next 5 years.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
I wouldn't trade any of the core players. I would definitely be open to a saints type trade, but obviously you would probably have to overpay, and by a lot.

Just to put it in perspective, it cost the Falcons (2011) 1st, 2nd, 4th and (2012) 1st & 4th to move from Pick #27 to Pick #6 to get Julio Jones. Using the draft value chart, it's 1876 points(worth 4th overall pick), with hindsight on the position of the 2012 picks of course. This is only for a good WR, what do you think it'll cost for a once in a generation type DE?

(1st pick is 3000 points, and you would probably have to overpay)

It would be so much to give up...

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I'd trade next year's draft. I don't think I'd unload players. But I've seen how good the Hawks are at selecting players in UDFA. I think we're deep at every position right now. Plus drafting of Clowney would free us to trade a guy or two that we have at DL right now, which would result in either draft picks in return, or at least some other players.

I'd love to do a deal where we gave them say our top 3 picks and then kept a pick or two (and the lower of the two between ours and theirs) in the lower rounds. I don't think I'd want to trade multiple firsts, but I'd trade a whole draft this coming year, and a first and a 3rd next year. I wouldn't under any other regime, but Schneider's and Pete's ability to fill the roster keeps me where I'm fine with it one time. We may not have picks to trade due to Harvin though right?

I wouldn't trade Earl, unless I was absolutely sure the next man up was going to produce at 75% of what Earl is. I don't think it would happen. I might trade Sherman, because even though he's amazing and incredible... he also is worth way more than when we picked him. It would be a massive return on a small investment, and that's hard to walk away from. Clowney likely won't become Aundray Bruce, but let's not forget that Aundray Bruce did. :) Also... Okoye was talked about the same way a couple of years ago and has bounced around a lot.

He could become the next Jerome Brown/Tez though. That's for sure. The kid looks like he has Reggie White kind of disruptive force written all over him. So did Julius Peppers. So did Jevon Kearse. They all did it to some degree, but nobody is more than one injury away.

kearly

Reaction score
Assuming everything checks out (medical, interview, background, etc), I would trade Sherman + a 1st or Thomas + a 1st for Clowney in a heartbeat. Even if Seattle paid an RG3 type price to get him, I'd be thrilled. Late 1st round picks are massively over-valued and we'll be picking late for a long time.

We haven't seen a Jadeveon Clowney before. There has never been a pass rusher ever before that compares physically.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I'd unload Sherman or Thomas as well. To take on a rookie contract as opposed to dumping a ton of cash on Sherman would free up space for additional signings. Rushing the passer is so paramount in this league. Dude looks legit.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Call me after the season. Way to early for this kind of talk.

CPHawk

Reaction score
No way, no how would I trade Sherman and a 1 for Clowney. Look how long it took us to get solid corners after 2006, it was crap after crap. A weak DE is easier to cover for than a weak DE.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
taz291819":1x1enamq said:
CrimsonWazzu":1x1enamq said:
1st and 2nd in 2014 and 1st in 2015.

Easily, if not more.

Yeah, I'd give that up as well.

If you're looking at things realistically, that would barely get you close to the top 5, yet alone the #1 or #2 pick. Atlanta gave up more than that for moving from #27 to #6 for a good WR, not even a once in a generation DE.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I would give up Sherman. I don't know about Earl though. We really don't have great depth there and ET allows us to do things on defense we can't really do with other free safeties.

But this Clowney dude is a FREAK. I've never seen a player like him before.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
I wouldn't give up Sherman or Thomas. You don't give up the best player at their position for an unknown unless he's a QB. Even with the contract scenarios of Sherman or Thomas.

Now. A whole draft....yeah I would. I'd even give up our late 1st this year and our probable late 1st next year. 2 1st's.

I'm as big of an SEC fan as you'll find, but it makes no sense to give up known all pro's for someone who may be great.

I'll go on record Stoned Cold/SEC FAN that Clowney won't be as dominant as you all think as a pro. How hard will he play when he gets money? We know it didn't change Earl.

Clowney was a man among boys in high school, dominant at most times in college, and yes he's very young still. Best player last year, best player this year. Best player out of South Carolina in high school, etc. But the pro's is a whole new level. he will get chipped, doubled, schemed against. Frankly he's been held at bay when teams focus on him. LSU and Florida stopped him. Has he even had more than 1 sack against a team in the SEC? He's not god, he's just really good but he hasn't even dominated the SEC.

ChrisB Bacon

Reaction score
Thomas? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL no f'ing way.

Sherman? Lol no.

Full 2014 draft, 1st and 2nd in 2015, maybe... But that would kinda piss me off because there would be no draft/rookies to look forward to. Also a great way to fleece the depth real quickly. Doesn't fit with the compete mantra.

uncle fester

Reaction score
This thread exists at the same time as the Aaron Curry-being-cut-again thread.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
I would do the sherman + 1st rounder trade, for sure. Id have a harder time with thomas.