Johnny Manziel, my new Jerramy Stevens mancrush

kearly

Reaction score
Every now and then, I love a player that I know I probably shouldn't. One that has incredible talent and equal moxie, but doesn't seem like the world's best person. I just caught this tidbit from a recent Manziel article. I thought it was awesome, personally.

However, Manziel's behavior as the Aggies began to pull away from Rice late in the game overshadowed his sterling performance (6-of-8, 94 yards, 3 TDs). On several occasions, Manziel appeared to be taunting Rice players, not only with trash-talk and pointing at the scoreboard, but by making light of his recent troubles by mimicking the signing of an autograph as well as rubbing his fingers together to indicate money. Not only did Manziel's antics warrant him an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, he was also subsequently benched for the rest of the game by head coach Kevin Sumlin.

One of these days Johnny Manziel will win a SB, and he'll be the biggest heel in the history of the NFL.

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm with ya, kearly. I'm loving everything about him.

Ya know, media/outsiders also hated Michael Irvin. Hated HIM. But, there isn't a Cowboys beat writer, player, coach who wouldn't describe Irvin was the single hardest working Cowboy, ever.

Its odd, but I tend to gravitate towards loud assholes "having fun" while succeeding.

cover-2

Reaction score
I can't stand Manziel's. But, I tend to dislike all QB's that showboat and do the "look at me" antics. Included in that list are Colin Kapernick with his kissing the bicep thing, Aaron Rogers with his lame TD celebration, and Philip Rivers and all the trashing talking he does on the field. The one exception to this rule is former Bears QB Jim McMahon. I can't explain it, but for me McMahon was a cocky "look at me" QB that I always enjoyed watching.

Mcmahon Jimmcmahon
Jimmcmahon
Jim-McMahon-350x178.jpg

pehawk

Reaction score
I don't get the Phillips comparison. The McMahon one is good though.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Down here in the lone star state it's a 50/50 split. Some love him, some hate him. Very few middle of the roaders. IMHO he needs a top notch sports psychologist and a good manager watching out for him. Kid has skills but we all know skills alone don't cut it in the Big League.

chris98251

Reaction score
Phillips had all the talent in the world, just could not get his head around that he wasn't greater then the sport, had all sorts of leagal trouble and psychological issues is the comparison. Jimbo is good also, except he was more of a comedian about his antics not a douche.

pehawk

Reaction score
Johnny Football hasn't beaten a woman or anything like Phillips though.

He's Namath/Irvin/Primetime rolled into one little QB package. And I love it.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
Jerramy Stevens and Johnny Football should never be in the same sentance. Stevens raped a chick, multiple DWI/DUI, lazy, just a trouble maker. Johnny Football hasn't done any of that.

Johnny Football has not been the "worlds best person"? So lets lump him in with assclowns like Stevens. Dumbest shit I heard today.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Stoned Cold":1bh3j2n1 said:
Jerramy Stevens and Johnny Football should never be in the same sentance. Stevens raped a chick, multiple DWI/DUI, lazy, just a trouble maker. Johnny Football hasn't done any of that.

Johnny Football has not been the "worlds best person"? So lets lump him in with assclowns like Stevens. Dumbest shit I heard today.

Whoa dude, chill out.

Btw, never compared the two as people. I had an irrational man-crush on Jerramy Stevens during his time in Seattle despite the fact that I knew he had issues. Obviously, Manziel is nowhere near as bad, but he's quickly become another guy that's cool to hate, and I don't care. I think he's a great football player.

THE TABS

Reaction score
I honestly don't see Manziel having much, if any, of an NFL career. Physically, I don't see him making the transition to the pro game, and definitely not emotionally. Remember, he comes from a privileged upbringing, and he doesn't NEED to work for a living. He won't put in the effort to succeed in the pros, ala Ryan Leaf. I see him living off his trust fund after he's out of the NFL in four years.

Having said all that, I'm anxious for Saturday to see how A & M fares against Alabama. He makes for good TV.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Don't really care about his antics, he isn't breaking the law, he's a great player, he's immature, sounds like thousands of other college athletes. I love watching him play.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
The thing about Ryan Leaf is that he lacked emotional control. What Manziel lacks is maturity, That's a pretty big difference. Ryan Leaf struggled when handling adversity- the emotional issues erupted when he landed on maybe the NFL's worst roster and it destroyed his career. Manziel thrives under adversity, but is a bit of an ass. I see him as being much more comparable to guys like Jim McMahon, Jim Harbaugh, Philip Rivers, Kenny Stabler, and Fran Tarkenton.

Manziel won't go #1 overall either, so it's pretty unlikely he'll land in an utter shit hole like Leaf did.