ASJ suspended for Boise State game

Dawgs0

Reaction score
It's a factor, but UW can still win this game decisively, if they play to their full ability and potential. Softy tweeted this and it's something I wasn't fully aware of. :

Dave Softy Mahler ‏@Softykjr 9h
ASJ had 2 recs for 10 yards in win over Stanford. 3 recs for 31 in OSU win. Doesn't need to be a death blow for UW if he's out

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Total BS. The judicial system served the penalty, that should have been it. Its ridiculous that ASJ gets a harsher penalty because he happens to play football.

Not a death blow, just a bs one.

Dawgs0

Reaction score
seahawk2k":m508a8yt said:
Total BS. The judicial system served the penalty, that should have been it. Its ridiculous that ASJ gets a harsher penalty because he happens to play football.

Not a death blow, just a bs one.

Non-athletes and the average person could lose their jobs if they got a DUI. That's a punishment outside the judicial system. People always get punishments outside the judicial system.

There are always outside repercussions for your actions. It's ridiculous to think that ASJ got a harsher penalty than the average human being would have. I really doubt that. I say this as a UW fan and student.

I wouldn't have suspended him (because I agree that he has been punished enough), but football players get off lighter in many situations than a normal human would have. Missing a game is much better than losing your job.

A standard has been set in life and that standard shows that there are social and life consequences, outside of the legal world, for your actions.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I agree that many football players, including former UW tight ends in the past(Stevens) have gotten off much lighter because of their status.

In regards to employment, a DUI on record can prevent you from getting a job, but unless driving has a practical application in your profession it is a rarity that you are actually punished. I know many idiots(Three of my closest friends, among others, have had DUI's). that have been arrested for a DUI, only one, who was a valet, was punished at his job.

I accept that this is something Sark felt he had to do and I believe that its a good way to send a message to the rest of the team by punishing perhaps the best player on the team. I wonder, if this were say, Kendall Taylor(I get that name right?) or some other non-starter if the penalty would have been the same.

chris98251

Reaction score
Employers can use it as a means to fire you if you drive as an aspect of your job, saying that due to your suspension you cannot perform your job duties, or if you move around to multiple locations that you cannot meet your obligations. Also they can put you on a testing program etc, lots of crap that they can deem as protecting themselves from possible liability issues.

This game is the opening of the Stadium, I'm sure ASJ is heartbroken he can't be a part of it, but it's a non conference game, we should win anyway. It sends a big message to others that nobody is above being dealt with, quiets the detractors that were saying he should be punished within the alumni and campus as well as media and the MAD activists.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Not sure what world some people live in, but my employer has fired people over DUI. My boss got one about a year ago and was close, but he agreed to unpaid time off to complete rehab and was retained.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
Thats too bad but I think the discipline is justified. He did plead guilty and blew a .18

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Sark is smart. It's a team game. Be a team player. Don't turn the program into the joke it was under Rick the Weasel. Tell guys to get their act together and that nobody is going to be allowed to turn into Jerramy Stevens on his watch. Stevens was an extreme....but letting him skate on things created a real problem. UW is better than that, and Sark demands it.

Remember where Sark went to school, and what the rules were. He finished his senior year in the top 5 with a 14-1 record. He knows that you can win with a program that doesn't allow this crap. He did it as a player under a coach that was no-nonsense.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
FWIW, I heard that this is simply a PR move and that ASJ wasn't going to play tonight anyway due to a finger injury.

*shrugs*

Chapow

Reaction score
chris98251":1clb5hqq said:
Employers can use it as a means to fire you if you drive as an aspect of your job, saying that due to your suspension you cannot perform your job duties, or if you move around to multiple locations that you cannot meet your obligations. Also they can put you on a testing program etc, lots of crap that they can deem as protecting themselves from possible liability issues.

"Washington is an at-will employment state. This means that at any given time, either employer or employee may terminate the work relationship."

Employers don't need to give a reason at all for firing someone and in a lot of cases it's against their best interest to do so. All they need to say is something along the lines of "We don't feel like it's working out and have decided to go in another direction, good luck".

fenderbender123":1clb5hqq said:
FWIW, I heard that this is simply a PR move and that ASJ wasn't going to play tonight anyway due to a finger injury.

*shrugs*

Yep.

zifnab32

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3d49jho8 said:

*shrugs*

He'd been medically cleared to play.