Bowl Projections

HawkGA

Reaction score
With the college football season right around the corner, never too early to start looking toward the end of it.

http://athlonsports.com/college-footbal ... tions-2013

For me, I like the UW-Air Force matchup since I grew up in Washington State (though closer to WSU) and my brother went to the Air Force Academy. Always nice to see a game with teams matched up where you care about both sides (in my case, I care about UW losing, Go Cougs!).

Not thrilled about UGA-Louisville. I think one big mistake the BCS makes is that they generally have crappy matchus outside of the Championship game. They really should try to fix that. All bowls, for that matter, should look at matchups more than their conference relationships, imho.

Other than those games (and the championship game), none of the games really jump out at me as interesting.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Seriously, nobody has commented on these projections? Not even JSeahawks? Should I mention the Ducks suck? Will that bait him into posting???

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Don't you need the list of suspensions for getting paid for autographs before getting too serious about the bowls?

ChrisB Bacon

Reaction score
If the Dawgs go to the New Mexico Bowl, Sark should, and will, be fired.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
HawkGA":27k4ot33 said:
Seriously, nobody has commented on these projections? Not even JSeahawks? Should I mention the Ducks suck? Will that bait him into posting???

Sorry, I've been out of town and offline for the past 10 days. As a Ducks fan i'd be a bit disappointed in that Rose Bowl matchup. First, because I hope we're playing Alabama in the title game, second because if we do make the Rose Bowl I would love to match up against Ohio State.

As for the rest, I don't really see Notre Dame making a BCS game this year after losing their QB. And I think Washington will probably beat Boise STate which would most likely eliminate them from a big game and put Stanford into the Fiesta Bowl.

Throwdown

Reaction score
ChrisB Bacon":gm43v7iq said:

Chill

With the teams in the Pac 12, you'd need one to make championship game to get a BCS bid, even as a UW fan I can admit they aren't better than UCLA, and damn sure aren't better than Oregon, Stanford is tough too.

PAC 12 can only get 3 BCS bids right? unless theres a championship contender, right?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Throwdown":114eysnv said:
ChrisB Bacon":114eysnv said:

PAC 12 can only get 3 BCS bids right? unless theres a championship contender, right?

No conference can have more then 2 teams in BCS games, including the title game.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Its tough to draw lines in the sand and say "If X happens, Coach Y should be fired".

With that said, a couple things have to happen for Sark and the Huskies this year.

They have to be able to defend the spread. Arizona and Oregon lit up the scoreboard against them last year and WSU spread them out and wore them down. The defense was incredibly improved against pro style attacks(LSU game the exception, but huge physical mismatch) but didn't work well in space. They don't have to beat Oregon this year, but they have to be competitive on both sides of the ball and lose by single digits. Just show anything that shows the gap has been closed in recent years, cause Oregon buries them every year, its just an avalanche.

They've got to compete with Oregon. They've got to play with Stanford(again). They've got to win the Apple Cup. They've got to beat Boise State and they need to win more than seven games. If they don't, I don't think Sark should be fired, just a well fed fire lit underneath his seat.

But, for arguments say, lets say Sark goes 7-6. Show me a program that fired a coach who consistently won seven games and then won huge because of it. Very rarely does firing a coach for "Winning, but not winning enough" pay off.

CPHawk

Reaction score
UW has competed with UO, Sark has said as much after every game. Last year he famously said, "the score wasn't indicative of the progress of both teams."

pehawk

Reaction score
Sark's a pro coach trapped by the limitations of the college game. I know that sounds odd to say about a coach with his record, but NFL GM's seemingly agree with him. He turns down more pro HC interviews than anything else.

Throwdown

Reaction score
CPHawk":1yh0dig9 said:
UW has competed with UO, Sark has said as much after every game. Last year he famously said, "the score wasn't indicative of the progress of both teams."

Tongue in cheek? or serious?

I usually tune out after the fact, OU puts a beat on us everytime.

pehawk

Reaction score
Don't do it Throw! Don't listen to the siren that is all Duck fans.

They'l stumble now that the lovechild of Pete Carroll and Rainman left to Philly.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I want to see UW get a coach who doesn't make excuses, it's fun to laugh at but it's sad. UW needs a coach like Snyder at KState. Someone old school, when I think of UW I think old school. Maybe raid Stanford and take their OC or DC.

As for Kelly being gone, you might be right, but UO has done a hell of a job hiring football coches the last 30 years, and hiring head coaches in all sports the last decade or so. I don't see our AD suddenly stepping in it now. They have hired Horton for baseball and Altman for basketball and in fact every sport has been very completive with coaches hired in the last 5-7 years with the exception of women's basketball.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Throwdown":2dw3zxet said:
CPHawk":2dw3zxet said:

Tongue in cheek? or serious?

I usually tune out after the fact, OU puts a beat on us everytime.

"Golly," Sarkisian said, "I know this score is not indicative of the caliber of our team.

"I'm just frustrated, because I don't think the score is indicative to where their football team is compared to us."

http://www.gohuskies.com/ViewArticle.db ... M_ID=30200

1031521 zpsdcac702e

Dawgs0

Reaction score
CPHawk":2bxn21qq said:
I want to see UW get a coach who doesn't make excuses, it's fun to laugh at but it's sad. UW needs a coach like Snyder at KState.

As for Kelly being gone, you might be right, but UO has done a hell of a job hiring football coches the last 30 years, and hiring head coaches in all sports the last decade or so. I don't see our AD suddenly stepping in it now. They have hired Horton for baseball and Altman for basketball and in fact every sport has been very completive with coaches hired in the last 5-7 years with the exception of women's basketball.

Haha. Sark beat Stanford. Did Oregon? What was Oregon's (Kelly's) excuse then?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Dawgs0":3h3aawqz said:
CPHawk":3h3aawqz said:
I want to see UW get a coach who doesn't make excuses, it's fun to laugh at but it's sad. UW needs a coach like Snyder at KState.

Kelly never made excuses.

Dawgs0

Reaction score
JSeahawks":wswax7ac said:
Dawgs0":wswax7ac said:
CPHawk":wswax7ac said:

So what was the reason for the choke job? How did explain that?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Dawgs0":2wf9h8jl said:
JSeahawks":2wf9h8jl said:
Dawgs0":2wf9h8jl said:

So what was the reason for the choke job? How did explain that?

I don't think they choked. Its not like they had a lead and choked it away *cough cough apple cup and UW's bowl game*. They just lost a football game to a really good football team. It happens. I don't remember Kellys post game presser but my guess is that he gave Stanford a ton of credit and praise.

CPHawk

Reaction score
One loss, and a 12-1 #2 ranking and a uw fan is trying to make fun of it? You can hate Kelly all you want, but he never made excuses.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I've never known Sark to make excuses, I've always thought of him as very accountable. I feel like I know excuses pretty well after listening to Paul Wulff press conferences for four years. God, was it only four years? Felt like an eternity.

I'm also confused how those Sark quotes illustrate how he thought they played Oregon competitively....

I consider myself reasonably unbiased on this topic, and I think Sark was referring to the fact that talentwise the teams aren't thirty points apart. Oregon has the perfect talent for their system, which in itself is brilliant, and UW is still finding its way in that regard. But I realize in the rivalry thing its better to twist things into their most inflammatory fashion.

As for the Stanford/Oregon game last year. I recall Stanford almost fumbling the game away, Mariota acting like a first year starter for the first and only time last season and Oregon's kicker blowing an easy kick(just like in 2011 against USC). And Stanford's defensive played a legendary game that I will not soon forget.

Latest posts