Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Post subject: Re: Texas A&M is now officially an SEC team
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:58 pm 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*

CPHawk wrote:
taz291819 wrote:
South Carolina vs. Clemson.

Clemson, the most overrated team year in and out.

The most overrated? They did go 11-2 overall and 7-1 in the ACC last season. Not sure if that qualifies as the most overrated. Still can't stand them though.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:05 pm 
* NET Moderator *

The current version of Clemson is pretty darn good. For the last decade or so though, I agree with CP that they've been mostly overrated.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:07 am 
NET Veteran

CPHawk wrote:
taz291819 wrote:

I think an interesting dynamic happens when a school has an in-state, out of conference rival. They play every year for tradition, sometimes both teams are good (Florida-Florida State) and sometimes only one team is good and some times neither is good. I don't think teams should get "credit" for scheduling those games but I also don't think they should be held up in examples of wimpy scheduling either.

That said, the NCAA needs to make strength of schedule a bigger part of determining post season play. It's great when good teams play each other, particularly in non-regular games. Bama has been doing it lately, usually with ACC teams (though recently they also did Penn State and Michigan). I would love to see them mix in some PAC-12 and some Big-12.

* when I said credit, I really just mean "street cred" or "props" as the kids might say. I'm not suggesting the games not count or anything stupid like that.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:39 am 
* NET Sage *

Can't blame TAMU for doing this... the SEC is a blood bath, just getting through the conference is hard enough.. then you throw in a road trip to Autzen or LA and there's more to lose than there is to gain IMO.

I think sadly, one negative of the playoff is that we will probably see less big time non-conference matchups because teams will rather try to just win the conference and beat some cupcakes to finish in the Top 4 (or 8 which will soon be the case) than risk messing that all up with an early loss.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:31 pm 
NET Veteran

A&M is now officially an SEC team?

Did they just win a championship or something? I haven't been keeping up.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:24 am 
NET Practice Squad

HawkGA wrote:
CPHawk wrote:
taz291819 wrote:

I think an interesting dynamic happens when a school has an in-state, out of conference rival. They play every year for tradition, sometimes both teams are good (Florida-Florida State) and sometimes only one team is good and some times neither is good. I don't think teams should get "credit" for scheduling those games but I also don't think they should be held up in examples of wimpy scheduling either.

That said, the NCAA needs to make strength of schedule a bigger part of determining post season play. It's great when good teams play each other, particularly in non-regular games. Bama has been doing it lately, usually with ACC teams (though recently they also did Penn State and Michigan). I would love to see them mix in some PAC-12 and some Big-12.

* when I said credit, I really just mean "street cred" or "props" as the kids might say. I'm not suggesting the games not count or anything stupid like that.

As a Florida alum I have noticed the negative effects of the BCS and future playoff that has led to weak non-conference games. I agree with your sentiment regarding increased emphasis on strength of schedule. I believe a move toward a system similar to the basketball RPI would encourage stronger non-conference competition, which would only benefit the universities/teams and fans alike.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]