CNNSI insanely early 2014 mock

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Kip and J are going to have fisticuffs over Lyerla and ASJ this year.

kearly

Reaction score
The way I feel about Lyerla is pretty similar to the way I felt about Dion Jordan. Over-rated because of athleticism while lacking natural talent, though a position change could help. Jordan will probably be a disappointment as a 4-3 end in the NFL and I feel the same about Lyerla at TE. That is, unless he's drafted by Seattle. Pete would find a way to make it work.

ASJ I have no comment on. He'll be off the board before Seattle picks and I just can't see Seattle making a dramatic trade up for a tight end. I'm actually hoping his DUI and "indefinite" suspension allow him to tumble into Seahawk pick territory.

That said, Seattle just drafted a running back with their first pick after trading a 1st for Percy Harvin. We have no idea what Seattle's needs could be next year, either.

I think Lyerla is much more likely than ASJ to be a Seahawk, if Seattle does pull the trigger on a TE early. Seattle is fine with unrefined players with awesome athleticism, and Lyerla probably lasts long enough to reach Seattle barring a huge season in 2013.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":7c6aa360 said:
The way I feel about Lyerla is pretty similar to the way I felt about Dion Jordan. Over-rated because of athleticism while lacking natural talent, though a position change could help. Jordan will probably be a disappointment as a 4-3 end in the NFL and I feel the same about Lyerla at TE. That is, unless he's drafted by Seattle. Pete would find a way to make it work.

I can see that with Jordan, I cant see that argument with Lyerla. He does everything a tight end is supposed to do very well. And is a very talented and polished football player. Maybe he just doesnt look like it because he's so Beast Mode.

I'm gonna fight you on this one for about 358 more days!

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":15qug1e5 said:
I can see that with Jordan, I cant see that argument with Lyerla. He does everything a tight end is supposed to do very well.

I think Jordan is the better football player. He's got big weaknesses as a pass rusher but he's awesome in coverage for a big guy and I think he'd make a helluva SAM linebacker. Even as a 4-3 DE, I could see Jordan having a Bruce Irvin type rookie season where he struggles in most games but then has a bunch of two-sack games when he faces the Bryan Bulaga's of the league.

Lyerla, where do I begin? Too little lower body length. Skinny legs. Leaves a lot to be desired as a blocker. I just watched his compilation against ASU and he had zero catches but two whiffed blocks. For a guy with his size and athleticism I was disappointed with his blocking ability and even his blocking effort. He's also a body catcher that just "looks" unnatural out there. The only thing I like about Lyerla is his Gronk-like resilience after the catch. With the ball in his hands his lower body strength suddenly reveals itself. Maybe he just doesn't give a shit as a blocker?

If Lyerla went to ANY other school he'd be a draft afterthought, IMO. He's riding from the same momentum from the "Chip Kelly genius" label that elevated Jordan. Though I guess Carroll shares some of the "blame" too after drafting some pure athletes in recent years and everyone in the NFL is peeking over his shoulder these days.

NYCoug

Reaction score
kearly":7fzaqmb7 said:
Seattle is fine with unrefined players with awesome athleticism

Funny, I just had this realization today when I was trying to get a better read on what the Hawks are all about after this 4th draft.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Not that its an excuse for lack of effort but he was hurt in that ASU game, bruised hip. Got hurt against UW the previous week then sat out the following week. He is a body catcher a lot of the time, i'll agree with you there. But I dont recall ever seeing him have a drop. Maybe you just got him on a bad day because he's a very good blocker. You dont get on the field for Chip Kelly as a WR or TE at Oregon if you're not.

Watch him blocking for Kenjon vs USC. Several plays where he's driving his guy 10 yards down the field.

[youtube]KzB7K8JhFZw[/youtube]

OP
OP
C

CPHawk

Reaction score
Kerly just admit you don't like any Oregon player and therefor can't evaluate them. You know I really like what you do here, but when it comes to UO you have a tough time being unbiased.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Never really concentrated on him as a 2014 guy... but any tight end that runs the ball is pretty interesting. Looks very intriguing on tape.

Seems like a decent enough guy, but those tweets... man that was misguided.

HawkGA

Reaction score
How can somebody have a strong lower body and skinny legs?

Seabean

Reaction score
I don't know about the skinny legs, but I'll take a guy's leg strength who can do a 62" two-footed box jump and waist high pool jump any day.

box jump: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk0CxGPdxvo

pool jump: http://a.yfrog.com/img860/3163/v6cinolo ... vtyplw.mp4

Colt Lyerla definitely has some maturity issues and has issues in the past with picking up the playbook, but I agree with jseahawks in the sense that I wouldn't call him raw as a player.

A highlight video for those interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgqbrR8FOYI

NYCoug

Reaction score
I'm gonna laugh when Lyerla turns into the next Dante Rosario and ASJ becomes the next Jerramy Stevens. That's the perfect resolution to this. Provided Luke Willson becomes a stud and the Hawks draft neither, of course.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
NYCoug":2vr3t1hn said:
I'm gonna laugh when Lyerla turns into the next Dante Rosario and ASJ becomes the next Jerramy Stevens. That's the perfect resolution to this. Provided Luke Willson becomes a stud and the Hawks draft neither, of course.

I think you just killed Kearly with that comment.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2umhxclx said:
I think you just killed Kearly with that comment.

Who knew all it would take was the oh so obvious ASJ-Jerramy Stevens comparison. Before someone calls me out for being a tool for thinking Lyerla and ASJ will be busts, I don't. Just think it would be perfect for J and kearly. So say, what comment do I have to make to get rid of pe? :p

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
CPHawk":3p751bv5 said:
Kerly just admit you don't like any Oregon player and therefor can't evaluate them. You know I really like what you do here, but when it comes to UO you have a tough time being unbiased.

I think it has more to do with the fact that Oregon players are atypically unfit for the pros and gimmicky and don't translate to the NFL.

Unger and Ngata notwithstanding -- there isn't a great deal of Oregon starters in the NFL. Most of them are below NFL average fringe players. Even guys who have been somewhat successful (Chung, Stewart, Byrd) have served rather anonymously on bad performing clubs/units.

Oregon's contribution to the NFL talent pool at the top end is not appreciably more distinguished than Washington, Arizona or Arizona State. For the number of players they put into the league, very very few of them actually have turned into much more than camp bodies and practice squad types.

Although that said, I don't believe program history really dictates future prospects chances of making an impact. Lyerla is supremely talented. Certainly has a lot of 'uniqueness'. And considering our thus far fruitless search for a Joker TE, I'd have to think he'd be more attractive to us than ASJ.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
NYCoug":3hehokhm said:

I actally love ASJ as well. He'll probably be a top 15 pick so won't be an option for Seattle. But I do think Lyerla is a very possible, and even likely option for us.

Imo ASJ is going to be Tony Gonzales and Lyerla is going to be Gronk and in 5 years the two of them will be fighting it out for All Pro honors.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1ke1dp9c said:
CPHawk":1ke1dp9c said:

I think it has more to do with the fact that Oregon players are atypically unfit for the pros and gimmicky and don't translate to the NFL.

Unger and Ngata notwithstanding -- there isn't a great deal of Oregon starters in the NFL. Most of them are below NFL average fringe players. Even guys who have been somewhat successful (Chung, Stewart, Byrd) have served rather anonymously on bad performing clubs/units.

Oregon's contribution to the NFL talent pool at the top end is not appreciably more distinguished than Washington, Arizona or Arizona State. For the number of players they put into the league, very very few of them actually have turned into much more than camp bodies and practice squad types.

Although that said, I don't believe program history really dictates future prospects chances of making an impact. Lyerla is supremely talented. Certainly has a lot of 'uniqueness'. And considering our thus far fruitless search for a Joker TE, I'd have to think he'd be more attractive to us than ASJ.

I think you're dead wrong here. If anything the NFL is moving more towards the Ducks type system. I love hearing the Ducks are gimmicky. Doesnt being a gimick mean you should be able to stop it when you know its coming? The Gimmick has been kicking ass for about 5 years now. Its so gimmicky that Washington is now trying to copy what Oregon does.

Prior to this year the Ducks havnt had a first round draft pick in 5 years. So its not like they've put a ton of potential all pro players into the league. For the most part the Duck players that are in the league are playing at, or better then, there draft slot.

Now, watch the next 3 or 4 years, they have a ton of nfl prospects coming up. Next year, depending on which juniors go pro I expect as many as 4 or 5 1st rounders (Ifo Ekpre Olumu, Colt Lyerla, Marcus Mariota, Tyler Johnston and De'Anthony Thomas).