Mini-Camp vs Signed Contract for UDFA

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
Mini-Camp vs Signed Contract for UDFA
Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:50 pm
  • What is the difference between a signed UDFA and a mini-camp invitee? Example: Justin Veltung (mini-camp) vs Matt Austin (signed contract)???
    wirehead 731
    NET Bench Warmer

• A minicamp invitee is just that, someone invited to come and work out at minicamp. If they like them, they'll sign them. If not, they'll waive goodbye. Simples.

Love your username, btw.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• Signed UDFAs will get a little money in the form of a bonus. Their contracts, however, usually aren't guaranteed and can be terminated at any time. NFL teams have a pool of money they're allowed to allocate to UDFAs as signing bonuses (in recent years, I heard it was $75,000 total). In 2011, for example, the Seahawks gave the biggest chunk of their signing bonus allotment to Doug Baldwin ($17.5K), Jeron Johnson ($15K) and Pierre Allen ($10K).

Mini-camp invites are like pure tryouts. It's like going out for your high school team.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• One has a contract. The other does not.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:53 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information