Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Chris Harper - WR (Kansas State)
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:01 am 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:03 pm
Posts: 114
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
Frozenropers wrote:
Unfortunately, if Swope has already had 4 or 5 concussions in college he won't last in the NFL. He may be a good talent, but so was Jahvid Best. Seattle wasn't the only team to pass on Swope.

Harper will be good and brings a physicality to our WR corps that we don't currently have.


Swope duplicated guys we already had. Harper added depth to other areas.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chris Harper - WR (Kansas State)
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:16 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 pm
Posts: 629
jlwaters1 wrote:
godawg wrote:
With Kris Durham and others, this FO has not distinguished itself in choosing receivers, and perhaps Kearly has a better eye for this than John Schneider.

Nevertheless, I see this pick as a branding pick, a statement. The Seahawks are all about punishing, smash mouth football. Not only will our defense beat the crap out of you and our running backs run over and through you, but even our wide receivers will be doling out the pain. Anquan Boldin wears his defenders out. I hope Harper is even close to that.


Assinine statement. UNder PC and JS they've drafted 2 WR's (not counting 2013 draft)- Tate (round 2) Durham (Round 4) Tate, would be considered a hit, IMO. He's shown to be a impactful playmaker. Durham wasn't nearly physical enough and was discarded.

In terms of hits on WR. (Players who've started and contributed significantly) JS has the following:

Mike WIlliams (2010 hit), Tate (hit), Baldwin (hit), Meawhile Kearse also contributed to the team as a UNFA in a limited role.

Misses- Durham (4th round miss) and Lockette who was undrafted (so that really doesn't count) . I think it's silly to say try to say that JS has done a bad job picking up WR talent.


I'd also add, that Seattle really does seem to consider draft capital and salary cap capital to be two halves of the whole.

They added Rice and Miller using UFA cap money. They added Harvin using both draft and cap capital. And they used considerable capital on Tate as well.

I don't think it unreasonable to think that Seattle has opted to go a different route in terms of building their WR corps than using more high first round picks on WRs. And it makes total sense really. You simply can't maintain a balanced roster if you over commit all of your roster capital on one position.

Seattle has already paid an enormous price for the WR corps they have. They aren't in a position to use high draft picks on it at least until Rice's contract is reduced.

Also, it's probably worth mentioning, that while Rice is being paid mega dollars this year and next, I think it's safe to assume that he's not going to command but a minor fraction of his current salary even on the open market. We presume that we'll have to let Rice go because he'll be too expensive. But his future salary hit is likely to be far less than half of what we're paying him now. And he'll still be this side of 30 in terms of age. I could easily see Seattle being in a position to actually resign Sidney for a 3-4M/yr deal once this one expires.

Age, statistical decline and injury history are going to be against him when he tries to get a new deal. Rice leaving isn't a predetermined fate.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chris Harper - WR (Kansas State)
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:16 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am
Posts: 9805
T-Sizzle wrote:
I smell BACK-PEDAL. You went from hating him to now "pete will make this pick work".

Clearly Pete didn't think Harrisons tape was better than Harpers. That is why Harper was picked in the 4th. I can't stress enough, PC and JS do this for a living, nobody on this message board does.


Not really. Harper is my least favorite pick in the draft for Seattle, and it's not even close. I just have faith in our coaching staff. I hated the KJ Wright pick too and they got more out of him than I thought possible.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chris Harper - WR (Kansas State)
 Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:22 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am
Posts: 9805
TeamoftheCentury wrote:
The listing of those particular measurables does not sound like BMW to me. Mark Harrison would have perhaps been more like a BMW. I think they're looking for guys that excel in YAC. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall that as the memorable part of BMW's game. I always thought we would see much more out of Harper at K-State. The thought of him getting on the same page with RW and getting him the ball in space.... :th2thumbs:


If you want a YAC WR, that's not Harper. He separates about as well as BMW did (not very well) and is almost always tackled immediately after the catch.

I think you bring up a great point though regarding his lower body strength and how that might help him combat press coverage. Press Coverage will probably be widespread across the league in a few years so targeting receivers that can beat it makes sense.

Harper's tape against Baylor is just awful, it's actually even worse as I watched it today for the 3rd time. Almost every play he has major negatives. I had forgotten is how fumble prone he was in that Baylor game. This is why I say I trust Pete, because T-Sizzle is right- Pete is 100 times smarter than I am- so there's no way Pete would miss these obvious flaws. He has a plan in mind. If that plan doesn't work he just drafted a lousy receiver, but given his track record it probably will.

Oh and Sizzle, I don't really give a shit that we didn't draft the receivers I wanted. Honestly. My expectation going in was that we might not draft a receiver at all. I was very surprised when Seattle pulled the trigger on a WR in round 4. John Schneider said after the Harvin trade that Seattle wasn't looking at WRs all that seriously before the trade was made, so I had pretty much resigned myself to not getting guys like Swope, Bailey, Woods, Smith, Harrison, et al. The last few days before the draft I was just hoping we might get someone like Terrell Sinkfield in the 6th round.

That plus, in the case of Ryan Swope specifically, I knew he was off the table the instant the Harvin trade happened. Swope can play outside, but he's best in the slot and Harvin would obviously have that position locked down long term. Swope's draft grade is very different if you only need him as an outside WR.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chris Harper - WR (Kansas State)
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:21 am 
NET Bench Warmer
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:14 pm
Posts: 33
Harper seems like he could develop into a pretty good Anquan Boldin type WR to me. I thought it was a great pick.

BTW, Swoope still hasn't even been cleared to workout yet. Couldn't even make Fitzgerald's mini-camp with the rest of the offensive playmakers.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chris Harper - WR (Kansas State)
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:42 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am
Posts: 2226
Thread Killer wrote:
Harper seems like he could develop into a pretty good Anquan Boldin type WR to me. I thought it was a great pick.

BTW, Swoope still hasn't even been cleared to workout yet. Couldn't even make Fitzgerald's mini-camp with the rest of the offensive playmakers.

:les:

_________________
The artist formerly known as T-Sizzle


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chris Harper - WR (Kansas State)
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:43 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:47 am
Posts: 518
kearly wrote:
TeamoftheCentury wrote:
The listing of those particular measurables does not sound like BMW to me. Mark Harrison would have perhaps been more like a BMW. I think they're looking for guys that excel in YAC. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall that as the memorable part of BMW's game. I always thought we would see much more out of Harper at K-State. The thought of him getting on the same page with RW and getting him the ball in space.... :th2thumbs:


If you want a YAC WR, that's not Harper. He separates about as well as BMW did (not very well) and is almost always tackled immediately after the catch.

I think you bring up a great point though regarding his lower body strength and how that might help him combat press coverage. Press Coverage will probably be widespread across the league in a few years so targeting receivers that can beat it makes sense.

Harper's tape against Baylor is just awful, it's actually even worse as I watched it today for the 3rd time. Almost every play he has major negatives. I had forgotten is how fumble prone he was in that Baylor game. This is why I say I trust Pete, because T-Sizzle is right- Pete is 100 times smarter than I am- so there's no way Pete would miss these obvious flaws. He has a plan in mind. If that plan doesn't work he just drafted a lousy receiver, but given his track record it probably will.

Oh and Sizzle, I don't really give a shit that we didn't draft the receivers I wanted. Honestly. My expectation going in was that we might not draft a receiver at all. I was very surprised when Seattle pulled the trigger on a WR in round 4. John Schneider said after the Harvin trade that Seattle wasn't looking at WRs all that seriously before the trade was made, so I had pretty much resigned myself to not getting guys like Swope, Bailey, Woods, Smith, Harrison, et al. The last few days before the draft I was just hoping we might get someone like Terrell Sinkfield in the 6th round.

That plus, in the case of Ryan Swope specifically, I knew he was off the table the instant the Harvin trade happened. Swope can play outside, but he's best in the slot and Harvin would obviously have that position locked down long term. Swope's draft grade is very different if you only need him as an outside WR.


You seem to have an overly critical evaluation of scouting one or two games of his on youtube. I watched 4 or 5 of his games last year and he showed an ability to get yards after contact. While he is not a burner, he will break tackles to get some extra yards.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chris Harper - WR (Kansas State)
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:34 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm
Posts: 1727
Three pages of a thread where we are talking about the uncertainty of a draft pick that most of us have never actually seen play and have only seen a few minutes of highlights. The coaching staff and FO undoubtedly have watched more than on game of his and have seen him practice as both coaches and observers.

What there is to like is his size and physicality, but RAC doesn't appear to be his strong suit. He tested well with SPARQ results and appears to have solid understanding of the game having been a QB. He has been quite quiet so far in OTA situations but he's a rookie and may project better with pads on. For sure he's different than most of the other WRs the team has here now. I truly hope his hands turn out to be better than shown on his highlite films. He seems to almost be a WR in TE frame with WR speed and mobility.

Like several others here I was a bit surprised by the pick but have learned the FO is looking for special attributes in players and clearly he's got size combined with speed. There were quite few other WRs I thought the team might have chosen over Harper but I remain curious as to how they plan to use him.

_________________
Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. Until the OLine is strengthened the team will remain weak.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chris Harper - WR (Kansas State)
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:38 am 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 8660
Location: Is Everything
gmor wrote:
Frozenropers wrote:
Unfortunately, if Swope has already had 4 or 5 concussions in college he won't last in the NFL. He may be a good talent, but so was Jahvid Best. Seattle wasn't the only team to pass on Swope.

Harper will be good and brings a physicality to our WR corps that we don't currently have.


Swope duplicated guys we already had. Harper added depth to other areas.


This is my line of thinking on why we took Harper. Nevermind Swope. I was aware of his health issues already.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chris Harper - WR (Kansas State)
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:34 pm 
* NET Nobody *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm
Posts: 7596
Maybe Harper will turn out to be our Andre Reed. :)

_________________
RELEASE THE KRAKEN! (FREE BROWNER!)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chris Harper - WR (Kansas State)
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:43 pm 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:50 am
Posts: 392
And Swope's career is essentially over.....just placed on the reserve/retired list by the Cardinals.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chris Harper - WR (Kansas State)
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:22 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm
Posts: 1727
Swope can't clear their medical b/c of his numerous concussions.

What a shame b/c he is a talented WR who may never make it to the NFL as a result.

_________________
Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. Until the OLine is strengthened the team will remain weak.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bigbadhawk and 8 guests

 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.