HawksFTW wrote:Sloppy, stolen gimmick, and analysis is way off on certain picks. I expected better Kearly.
Which picks do you think he's wrong about, specifically? I thought he backed up his assertions fairly decently, given the confines of space. The gifs weren't always great, which is true, and it loses its impact because last years version was both original and really funny.
Ugh. I just had a very lengthy post erased on me because the page needed to be recovered. I will try to hit as many highlights as possible, because I am not wasting another 30 mins on this.
- EJ Manuel, as I pointed out above.
- Panning Minnesota's picks, trade value, etc. Minn got good value for their trade, and made out with three good players and positions of need for the team. The praising of NE's side of the trade smells like the media constantly praising BB for trading down, when in actuality they didn't get great (or even good) value out of their trade, relative to other trades in this draft.
- Being surprised at DEN's pick of a DT, when it was arguably their biggest need. Wolfe did play well for them last year, mostly from the DE position. With them losing Dumervil, Wolfe will be less of a rotational guy, and their DT's aren't exactly world beaters.
- Jag's pick of LT, when just in this forum kearly called Eugene Monroe above average (he isn't) and that he should be re-signed, and that drafting a LT would lose its sheen. Now he says it is a great pick, and that Monroe isn't standing in the way of anybody. Which is it?
- Being surprised at Oakland drafting Hayden, when CB is a huge need and Hayden has rapidly moved up the boards.
- Panning DAL's pick of Frederick, when OL has been their biggest issue, and C was arguably one of their biggest needs on the OL. Feels like he is buying into the media talk that Frederick was a reach when it is rumored he was coming off the board shortly after that pick. They started 6 different centers last year, and got the player they wanted. Just odd that someone from Seattle would pan a little bit of a reach, and fall in line with the talking heads here, when we have so many examples of why you shouldn't think that way.
- And lastly, for Ogletree...the guy is a playmaker plain and simple, and will fit in really well in STL. Using workout numbers to ultimately downgrade a guy that has awesome game tape, again falls in line with the talking heads.
Furthermore, this discussion goes beyond what a lot of people are seeing on this board as well. Kearly routinely talks about how much he hated the mentality at FG's and the cult of personality that surrounded some of the writers there. Yet, he double talks, shoots people down in threads where he admits to barely watching certain prospects, and also ignores real debate and discussion. This isn't something I am alone on, and truthfully if people knew some of the things kearly has done to avoid confrontation on some of his opinions, people would have a different view. His approach is starting border on hypocritical, but because of his reputation people don't want to see it. Which is fine, I will be the bad guy and point it out, I have no stake in my rep here.
And lastly, I agree with you Sarlacc, the gifs really took away from his analysis. Recycling years old gifs, and basically copy and pasting from reactiongifs.com, on a internet trend that is also years old, just comes across as "look at me".
All that said, I don't dislike kearly, and find his opinion valuable most of the time. Which is why I expected better of him with a post like this.
Have good rest of the day, I won't be able to make it back on here to respond today, but I will be checking in. Feel free to flame me for trying to ground the golden boy a bit, I can take it, which is more than I can say about some people around here.