4. Luke Marquardt, T, Azusa Pacific
5. Stefan Charles, DT, Regina
5. Kyle Juszczyk, FB, Harvard
6. Duke Williams, S, Nevada
7. Terrell Sinkfield, WR, Northern Iowa
7. Cooper Taylor, CB/SS/LB, Richmond
7. Quinn Sharp, K, Oklahoma State
7. BJ Daniels, QB, Southern Florida

Ten to watch for UDFA (Seattle has met with all of these players except Michael Clay):

Michael Clay, LB/SS, Oregon
Rufus Johnson, DE, Tarleton State
Russell Shepard, WR/KR/CB, LSU
Craig Wilkins, LB, Old Dominion
Martel Moore, WR, Northern Illinois
Perez Ashford, WR, Northern Illinois
Mike Catapano, DE, Princeton
Brice Butler, CB/WR, San Diego State
Greg Herd, WR, Eastern Washington
Justin Glenn, SS, Washington

Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M

[youtube]LCVqxFeWFoU[/youtube]

It's impossible to know who's going to be available at #56. I'm sure there will be a few highly rated surprises that make it. Since I can't guess who those surprise fallers will be, I'm going to mock the player I think will grade the highest while having an excellent chance of reaching our pick. For me, that's Christine Michael, for a couple reasons (both of which have been admitted by John Schneider himself).

The first reason is that Seattle grades by athleticism first. Christine Michael has one of the absolute highest athleticism grades in the draft. It stands to reason then that he'd have a very high baseline grade for the Seahawks.

The 2nd reason is that Seattle grades based on roster upgrade. We don't "need" a top shelf running back, but we don't really need a top shelf anything right now.

Christine Michael's exuberance from his VMAC visit was plain to see. I have to think he wouldn't have felt that way if PC/JS didn't do something to inject him with excitement during his visit. In other words, excitement is contagious, and I think Michael caught a case of it from Schneider and Carroll.

Michael has been a draft riser and it's starting to look less likely that he'll reach Seattle's 3rd round pick. There are probably 20 different directions I could see Seattle going at #56 (including Kyle Long, despite my protests), but Michael strikes me as the most likely.

Christine Michael had an offiical visit with the Seahawks.

Gavin Escobar, TE, San Diego State

[youtube]ljO2OScTeRI[/youtube]

I think Escobar is clearly the best of the second tier of tight ends, based on his tape. He didn't perform well on a track, but his field speed is above average and he's decent enough as a blocker. There is just something about the way Escobar reaches up and snatches the football that makes me think he's going to be highly productive in the NFL. His catching technique might be the best in this draft among the tight end group.

Vance McDonald would not surprise me, and Nick Kasa could be an option in the 4th or 5th if they push this priority down the list. Kasa has measurables that are virtually identical to Anthony McCoy the draft prospect. I think Seattle would be fine with any of the top 7 TE prospects, but Escobar strikes me as the best value.

Luke Marquardt, T, Azusa Pacific

[youtube]X-aP0mJqu-o[/youtube]

He's got a lot of Nate Solder in his game, and Solder was very highly rated by Seattle in 2011.

Stefan Charles, DT, Regina

[youtube]f8l5wYzJKPE[/youtube]

Charles has Jason Jones type agility in an Alan Branch type body. Had he played for a major program in the US, I doubt he'd escape the 2nd round.

Stefan Charles had an offiical visit with the Seahawks.

Kyle Juszczyk, FB, Harvard

[youtube]uS54FxLGpkk[/youtube]

NFL Draft Scout has Juszczyk down as a late 4th rounder. That's crazy high for a fullback, especially in today's NFL where the fullback is used increasingly less often. You watch Juszczyk's tape though, and you understand the hype. There's a lot of Gronkowski to his game, enough to make you wonder if he should move back to his original position: tight end.

Seattle initially carried five running backs last season. They wanted to have insurance for Michael Robinson. Robinson is 30 years old this season. Juszczyk is also a versatile athlete, which will help his cause as a backup.

Kyle Juszczyk had an offiical visit with the Seahawks.

Duke Williams, S, Nevada

[youtube]3d4d2UqRpLA[/youtube]

Williams has the speed of Chris Maragos but the hitting ability of Earl Thomas. Assignment correct and a good tackler, Williams has the the kind of ability against the run you'd like for an in the box safety while having the speed to serve as depth for Earl Thomas. Chris Maragos is due $1.3 million this season. Replacing him with a rookie would save $800k+.

Duke Williams had an offiical visit with the Seahawks.

Terrell Sinkfield, WR, Northern Iowa

[youtube]sMRdpwdoUxI[/youtube]

I think Seattle will probably load up on receivers in the late stretches of the draft a bit like they did last year. Given that there are as many as 25 draftable receivers this year, you can expect some shocking quality to remain in the late rounds. I almost had us taking Cobi Hamilton here, but after researching further I ended up going with Sinkfield.

Sinkfield ran an unofficial 4.19 (officially 4.33) at Minnesota's pro-day event, and did so in a 6'0¼", 198 pound body. Sinkfield isn't just a pure speed guy either- he's tough. Watch how fearless he is going over the middle and into contact. He has strong hands and good balance, and after the catch he's got good moves to go with his speed.

Seattle is among the teams rumored to be interested in Sinkfield, according to Tony Pauline.

Cooper Taylor, CB/SS/LB, Richmond

[youtube]1pfqOxxAxso[/youtube]

I don't think I've mocked any player more than Cooper Taylor. Ever. You guys know the drill by now.

Cooper Taylor had an offiical visit with the Seahawks.

Quinn Sharp, K, Oklahoma State

[youtube]83tibN1mknI[/youtube]

If Seattle is going to draft a kicker, they need to make sure he has a stronger leg than Steven Hauschka. Because accuracy hasn't been a problem for him. Sharp made a 60 yard attempt at his pro-day.

Quinn Sharp had an official visit with the Seahawks.

BJ Daniels, QB, Southern Florida

[youtube]HL0soMrNlus[/youtube]

One of my favorite late round prospects. I wrote about BJ Daniels as a QB to watch for last month, before it was revealed that he received an official visit with Seattle.

Notes on UDFA:

You can read my take on the UDFA list by reading through my visit series on Seahawks draft blog: Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV, Part V.

The only name not included is Michael Clay. Clay did not receive a visit offer from the Seahawks, which probably doesn't bode well if you want him to be a Seahawk, since local visits do not count against the limit. Still, I included Clay on my watch list because I feel he is superior in every possible way to Luke Batton, who actually did get a visit.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Man, you went off the grid here! The only two I really have any knowledge of are the first two. I'd be pretty excited if we drafted Michael just because he seemed to be so pumped up about the Seahawks after his visit.

I hope we pass on that Harvard fullback just for the fact that his name will cause spelling nightmares all over .net.

Good work, i'll be watching for these names in the next couple days.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Wow, no true LB or DT? I don't even care, if this was the draft I'd litteraly do a backflip. The top 2 picks alone are amazing. I hope you are right Kearly

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Seattle met with 7/10 of their draft picks last year before the draft. There's a pretty good chance that the majority of Seattle's draft picks this weekend will be mentioned in my draft visits writeup series. I'd recommend checking it out, at least to glance over so you'll know some of the names when they get called.

Wow, no true LB or DT? I don't even care, if this was the draft I'd litteraly do a backflip. The top 2 picks alone are amazing. I hope you are right Kearly

Stefan Charles is a DT (and is a steal in the top of the 5th, IMO). I don't have us drafting a LB, but I think Cooper Taylor could convert to LB if he wanted. In UDFA, I have us targeting Michael Clay (who's a LB with excellent tape but iffy measurables) and Craig Wilkins, who I initially had going to us in the 7th round before I changed my mind. Wilkins is a draftable prospect that's comparable to current Seahawk Allen Bradford.

Edit: My bad. I had Stefan Charles listed as a "T" for some reason. Now I get the confusion. Fixed.

kigenzun

Reaction score
This is another excellent mock. Well thought out, and filled with deft flexibility of available possible options.
Insightful and built around team needs, talent level of individual players, and pick value.
Nicely done.

penihawk

Reaction score
I wouldn't hate this draft other than I'm not sure I get the RB selection at 56. Escobar is the guy I want on our roster and I agree he has the best hands of the class. When you watch his 2011 tape, when Lindley was throwing it to him accurately and on time, he looks as good and plays as fast as anyone in this draft. I'm guessing Quinn Sharp has the leg to hammer it through the end zone on the kick offs? That is an upgrade we desperately need not the mention being able to attempt long FG's.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Thank you, Kip, for all the work you put in again.

I don't watch too much College football (WSU causes ulcers) but reading all your blogs, posts, etc. has made even this dolt feel like I have a good handle on the draft.

Thanks for the education.

bighawk

Reaction score
:3: I absolutely love this mock draft except for the tight end. Regina, the receiver as well as that mammoth tackle i like the most.

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
Love Christine Michael.......nice balance of power, acceleration, vision/agility
Reminds me a little of a faster Emmit Smith
Im on board!!!

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I could seriously dig this draft. Definitely looking for a lot of risky high upside type guys because if Seattle hits on 2 of them, they'll have nabbed 3 long term starters in this draft (counting Harvin in there, of course.)

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Need an OLB badly IMO. Need inexpensive, young, interior pass rush. When would another RB get any reps in the current line up?
The o line still needs improvement and depth.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
hidn":2897hmic said:
I like Christine Michael, but I really don't want to see the Seahawks take a RB in the second.

We know from PC that in the USC days he often had a stable of star running backs, and unfortunately Marshawn isn't going to be able to run over everyone forever. From everything I've heard, Michael is absolutely elite in terms of athleticism for a big back. And if you saw those tweets when he visited, he would LOVE to be a seahawk. I can understand not wanting to take a RB that high, but personally I would be very happy if we got Michael.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3o25lwt4 said:
hidn":3o25lwt4 said:
I like Christine Michael, but I really don't want to see the Seahawks take a RB in the second.

We know from PC that in the USC days he often had a stable of star running backs, and unfortunately Marshawn isn't going to be able to run over everyone forever. From everything I've heard, Michael is absolutely elite in terms of athleticism for a big back. And if you saw those tweets when he visited, he would LOVE to be a seahawk. I can understand not wanting to take a RB that high, but personally I would be very happy if we got Michael.

Don't worry, the guy who said he would never cheer for a guy named Christine and other .net guys who pre draft said they didn't like him would become his biggest fan the second we drafted him. :th2thumbs:

MysterMatt

Reaction score
What I see in this particular draft is a lot of guys with high upside who'll have to come in and compete. If a few of them pan out, then our team is improved and in a position to deal with salary cap issues a year or two from now. I love it.

I'm really digging the CB/S/LB guy.

kf3339

Reaction score
I don't know Kip. It's a little bit of a let down for me. I really expected a DT or WLB in the second round. I just don't see the need for a RB that early.

smashmouth59

Reaction score
I am in love with Michael's highlight vids but i just don't see it. Not in the 2nd. Maybe the 3rd if he lasted that long. I like Escobar, but don't love him. He looks so light in the pants without the explosiveness one would expect. He is not Aaron Hernandez 2.0. I do like his hands though.

I just see us going big this year early. I would bet that 2 of our first 3 picks will be DT and/or Oline. We really need a big body on our Dline more than any other position. I like the guy from Canada, but if he is as good as we think, how in the heck does he last till the 5th?

AgentDib

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2bd3jozb said:
I hope we pass on that Harvard fullback just for the fact that his name will cause spelling nightmares all over .net
That's what nicknames are for. Nobody in the fan base has time to type Juszczyk, by the next morning he would be Ju, Jus, KJ, Juice, etc.