Matt Barkley with less than stellar words on Lane Kiffin

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... or-kiffin/

The most striking quote:

“Kiff kind of suited the play-calling toward Marqise,” Barkley said. “It was rough at times, because defenses kinda knew what was coming. It was sort of predictive. Robert Woods is a great player. . . . You want to be respectful of your coaches, because they are your elders, but when it falls on your shoulders, you probably should get involved.”

As a USC fan.. I can't wait until Kiffin is gone. Hell, I was hoping he was about to get the boot after the Sun Bowl.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
He's been reading my posts! i've been saying this for months when discussing Barkley or Woods.

This season it looked like winning Lee a Heisman was more important to Kiffin then winning games.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1qfs6xbd said:
He's been reading my posts! i've been saying this for months when discussing Barkley or Woods.

This season it looked like winning Lee a Heisman was more important to Kiffin then winning games.

Absolutely it did.

The thing that kind of confuses me, and maybe I'm reading too much into this.. but if you're the star Senior QB/Heisman favorite coming into the season.. and the play calling keeps having you force feed the ball to your #1 WR.. why not just audible or throw it to Woods instead of a double and triple covered Marqise Lee? Not to say Barkley maybe was intentionally throwing the season to prove a point.. but you would think after awhile Barkley would go "this s**t isn't working.. lets do this instead"

sc85sis

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":24npwzwy said:
JSeahawks":24npwzwy said:

Absolutely it did.

The thing that kind of confuses me, and maybe I'm reading too much into this.. but if you're the star Senior QB/Heisman favorite coming into the season.. and the play calling keeps having you force feed the ball to your #1 WR.. why not just audible or throw it to Woods instead of a double and triple covered Marqise Lee? Not to say Barkley maybe was intentionally throwing the season to prove a point.. but you would think after awhile Barkley would go "this s**t isn't working.. lets do this instead"
I think that's what he's saying. That he should have spoken up about it more.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
sc85sis":16zl63zj said:
Hasselbeck":16zl63zj said:
JSeahawks":16zl63zj said:

Absolutely it did.

I think that's what he's saying. That he should have spoken up about it more.

Curious to hear where you stand with Kiffin. As you're the only other SC fan I know of on this board.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
The comments Woods made after the season ended make a lot of sense now.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Killa Kam":1h1k1gbt said:
The comments Woods made after the season ended make a lot of sense now.

Exactly. Unfortunately, some in here chose to suggest Woods was a "me-first primadonna" because of his commentary regarding his (lack of) targets. Woods was not alone and props to Barkley for calling attention to this prior to the draft.

Back when we had a 1 (and no Harvin) I was screaming for Woods. He's a solid kid, of great character, and will play at a high level for many years in this league. I wish him well (in the AFC!).

Kiffin? WTH happened to SC football? I can't even hate them anymore. I feel sorry for them.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about Kiff. At times he's brilliant. At other times he's an idiot. I think he has a fair amount of potential, but he also still has some growing up to do.

When he got his first head coaching gig in Oakland, it seemed like he was just trying to copy Pete--right down to the I'm In sign. He's changed some things up now in an effort to make this gig his own, but I'm not sure he's there yet.

We'd probably have been better off with a more-established head coach. However, options were limited at the time because we needed to hold the recruiting class together, and a lot of guys were leery that sanctions of some kind were coming (though no one at 'SC thought we'd get nailed to the degree we did, IMO).

On paper he's made the right moves this offseason in terms of staff changes. And he's been letting Clay Helton share play-calling duties in practices. We'll see whether that works out or not in the fall.

vanillasuede

Reaction score
[/quote]As a USC fan.. I can't wait until Kiffin is gone. Hell, I was hoping he was about to get the boot after the Sun Bowl.[/quote]

I know many USC fans just like you and they all say the same thing. One guy said about him, "He is a terrible man" ;)

Barkley didn't help himself by coming out with this - Should of just kept it to himself. It makes him look like he will go rogue on the team.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
He's probably right, but those comments don't reflect well on him.