Will we attempt to drat Rice's and Miller's replacements...

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
this draft? IMO both are valuable pieces of our offense but both are paid a ton and may preclude us form signing more crucial players in the future on the team.

Also imo we have no players right now that could adequately replace those two. While Tate and Harvin are both great receivers, neither are the tall outside threat Sidney is. And as far all Miller, Mccoy is no where near taking over his duties and Fells is a longshot. So while a lot of people think we will go line with our first few picks, whether thats offensive or defensive, I wouldnt be shocked if we went TE and receiver early.

Thoughts?

penihawk

Reaction score
Big contracts and the salary cap are gonna dictate roster moves the next couple of years. We are in the position to draft potential replacements and have them ready to go when the business side starts to dictate things. I can totally see this being a factor in our draft board but who is left on the board will be the ultimate determining factor in who we take in every round. If the highest rated player on the board is a WR or TE then they will go that route IMO.

getnasty

Reaction score
At least a replacement for Rice i hope. Give me Woods, Swope, Hopkins, one of those guys have got to be there in the second, maybe even the 3rd.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
getnasty":3rjdqwet said:
At least a replacement for Rice i hope. Give me Woods, Swope, Hopkins, one of those guys have got to be there in the second, maybe even the 3rd.

No thanks to the poo flinger and Brian Hartline 2.0. I'd be cool with Woods.

getnasty

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":2pufscwp said:
getnasty":2pufscwp said:

Who's gonna want to guard a guy that has crap on his hands? Hopkins is gonna break Calvin Johnson record as a rookie.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
getnasty":28i9t102 said:
T-Sizzle":28i9t102 said:
getnasty":28i9t102 said:

Who's gonna want to guard a guy that has crap on his hands? Hopkins is gonna break Calvin Johnson record as a rookie.

Nobody will cover him but it might be hard to catch the ball with crap on your hands.

OP
OP
therealjohncarlson

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Also Im not sure Wilson or Lynch would want to throw a ball with fecal matter all over it

kearly

Reaction score
Yes, however...

I don't really see Seattle having too tough a time with their cap situation NEXT year. 2015 will be a bear (Sherman) and 2016 will be brutal (Wilson). But next year most of their free agents are RFAs. Of their UFA group, all of it is expendable. Chancellor and Tate are among my favorite Seahawks, but Seattle can rebound if they lose either one. I think Chancellor is pretty much gone, he'll get Goldson money in free agency and that will be that. I think Tate could be interesting- I'm guessing he won't get big offers (even though he deserves #2 WR money), and we might see him sign back for something close to a Big Mike Williams contract.

Browner and Baldwin will be RFAs, and I wouldn't be shocked if either was dealt through the RFA process for a pick (just like Chris Ivory.

As far as Rice and Miller, yes, I do think the team is looking to add depth at those positions and ideally that would mean having a great backup that makes them expendable. That said, Sidney Rice easily earns his money when healthy, and he stayed healthy last year. Miller started earning his money towards the end of last season. If possible, I'd hope to keep both.

Instead, the contract Seattle needs to figure out how to get out of is Red Bryant. After 2013 his deal gets more expensive and that extension last year isn't looking so great at the moment. Finding 1-dimensional run stuffing 5-techs is not hard to do and certainly doesn't require a $35 million contract. If Seattle can get out of the Bryant deal, they should have enough money for anything else, though they might have to choose between Bennett and Chancellor.

Remember too, Seattle dealt Flynn, which hardly saves anything this year but saves a ton of cap space in 2014.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
kearly":bownhj03 said:
Yes, however...

I don't really see Seattle having too tough a time with their cap situation NEXT year. 2015 will be a bear (Sherman) and 2016 will be brutal (Wilson). But next year most of their free agents are RFAs. Of their UFA group, all of it is expendable. Chancellor and Tate are among my favorite Seahawks, but Seattle can rebound if they lose either one. I think Chancellor is pretty much gone, he'll get Goldson money in free agency and that will be that. I think Tate could be interesting- I'm guessing he won't get big offers (even though he deserves #2 WR money), and we might see him sign back for something close to a Big Mike Williams contract.

Browner and Baldwin will be RFAs, and I wouldn't be shocked if either was dealt through the RFA process for a pick (just like Chris Ivory.

As far as Rice and Miller, yes, I do think the team is looking to add depth at those positions and ideally that would mean having a great backup that makes them expendable. That said, Sidney Rice easily earns his money when healthy, and he stayed healthy last year. Miller started earning his money towards the end of last season. If possible, I'd hope to keep both.

Instead, the contract Seattle needs to figure out how to get out of is Red Bryant. After 2013 his deal gets more expensive and that extension last year isn't looking so great at the moment. Finding 1-dimensional run stuffing 5-techs is not hard to do and certainly doesn't require a $35 million contract. If Seattle can get out of the Bryant deal, they should have enough money for anything else, though they might have to choose between Bennett and Chancellor.

Remember too, Seattle dealt Flynn, which hardly saves anything this year but saves a ton of cap space in 2014.

Arent they working Chancellor right now? Sounds like that will happen sometime this offseason.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I can see it but we have to address the WLB and DT position as well.

Needs
#1 DT
#2 WLB
#3 #2 TE
#4 #2 WR
#5 OL
#6 CB
#7 S
#8 K
#9 #3 QB

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Keep in mind Zack is due a $3 m roster bonus and his cap number is $6.8m

$4m is guaranteed. If we cut him this year it would still count around $7m

Next year it is better. We could save 5m and get a $2m hit.

Those that were looking to cut him this year and sign and play a rookie can forget it.
If we can find a good TE it would be a great time to do so. Have him fill the 2nd or 3rd spot and groom him

kearly

Reaction score
Happypuppy":3k4jkbwn said:

Seattle already paid Miller's roster bonus (3/22/13). So obviously, he's here to stay, at least for another year.

Coug_Hawk08":3k4jkbwn said:
Arent they working Chancellor right now? Sounds like that will happen sometime this offseason.

They were, and then talks hit a big snag. Sounds like Chancellor wants to get paid top money. He probably saw what Dashon Goldson got and is using that as his negotiating floor, and I don't think the number Seattle has in mind is particularly close to that. And FWIW, I was an early member of the Chancellor fanclub, and even I wouldn't want to see Seattle paying Chancellor $8 million a year. I think he's probably as good as gone. I think he signs for megabucks somewhere else and Seattle will replace him with another 5th round pick and hardly feel the difference.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
kearly":19ysjnds said:
Coug_Hawk08":19ysjnds said:

They were, and then talks hit a big snag. Sounds like Chancellor wants to get paid. I'm speculating, but it's reasonable to assume that he wants at least Goldson money, and I don't think the number Seattle has in mind is particularly close to that. And FWIW, I was an early member of the Chancellor fanclub, and even I wouldn't want to see Seattle paying Chancellor $8 million a year. I think he's probably as good as gone. I think he signs for megabucks somewhere else and Seattle will replace him with another 5th round pick and hardly feel the difference.

Oh interesting, had not heard that. Thanks for info. I wonder if that at all relates to JS' comments about how 'not every player can be paid the highest at their position'.

I completely agree with the assessment. I wonder what Chancellor would look like on an island (imagine him being signed to the bucs, rather than goldson). I think our other players in the secondary (namely thomas) make up for some of his key deficiencies.

kf3339

Reaction score
kearly":ikbo8koi said:
Happypuppy":ikbo8koi said:

Seattle already paid Miller's roster bonus (3/22/13). So obviously, he's here to stay, at least for another year.

Coug_Hawk08":ikbo8koi said:

They were, and then talks hit a big snag. Sounds like Chancellor wants to get paid top money. He probably saw what Dashon Goldson got and is using that as his negotiating floor, and I don't think the number Seattle has in mind is particularly close to that. And FWIW, I was an early member of the Chancellor fanclub, and even I wouldn't want to see Seattle paying Chancellor $8 million a year. I think he's probably as good as gone. I think he signs for megabucks somewhere else and Seattle will replace him with another 5th round pick and hardly feel the difference.

I will be interesting to see what the Hawks do in the middle rounds this draft. Perhaps they see the same thing and one of our 4th/5th round picks is for a SS to back up and then replace Chancellor after next season. We could even trade him and get a quality pick in the 2014 draft!

Zer0veritas

Reaction score
Yepperz. The Hawks are going to draft Cordarrelle Patterson in the 2nd and Tyrann in the 3rd. I don't think they will go after TE, they might take a chance on one next year or later in the draft. Miller and McCoy are both good TE's and the Hawks just don't utilize their TE's much. When they do then you can see what Miller can do (Falcons game). I am not sure why everyone here is so caught up on the hawks drafting a TE? They are stacked at the TE position and don't need anyone else right now. The hawks won't be drafting a TE this year imo.

Hawks have been tracking Pattersons career and have expressed a lot of interest in him already. Scouts have said Patterson is the most complete WR in this draft class.

He is a first round talent that will be available in the 2nd round. Hawks will grab him in the 2nd imo, watch.

One thing the hawks love is versatility. "Even though the position next to his name is listed as wide receiver, Cordarrelle Patterson was a quadruple-threat - receiving, rushing, punt returning, kick returning - for the Volunteers last season with his 1,858 all-purpose yards. He also scored a touchdown from all four positions in 2012."

This guy can do it all. Mark this post, Patterson will be a Seahawk in 2013.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Zer0veritas":1zbjqi6o said:
Yepperz. The Hawks are going to draft Cordarrelle Patterson in the 2nd and Tyrann in the 3rd. I don't think they will go after TE, they might take a chance on one next year or later in the draft. Miller and McCoy are both good TE's and the Hawks just don't utilize their TE's much. When they do then you can see what Miller can do (Falcons game). I am not sure why everyone here is so caught up on the hawks drafting a TE? They are stacked at the TE position and don't need anyone else right now. The hawks won't be drafting a TE this year imo.

Hawks have been tracking Pattersons career and have expressed a lot of interest in him already. Scouts have said Patterson is the most complete WR in this draft class.

He is a first round talent that will be available in the 2nd round. Hawks will grab him in the 2nd imo, watch.

One thing the hawks love is versatility. "Even though the position next to his name is listed as wide receiver, Cordarrelle Patterson was a quadruple-threat - receiving, rushing, punt returning, kick returning - for the Volunteers last season with his 1,858 all-purpose yards. He also scored a touchdown from all four positions in 2012."

This guy can do it all. Mark this post, Patterson will be a Seahawk in 2013.

So you think a guy being projected as the #1 wr off the board will slip to the hawks in the late second? Lol.....ok.

I'm guessing you also felt the hawks would get a first round pick for Flynn.

nbk35zw

Reaction score
Why the hell does everyone want to get rid of Miller and Rice. My God. You don't just pull this type of talent out of thin air. Seattle will try all the can to AVOID renegotiating contracts unless they under perform. They are both rare players.

This flippant talk of restructuring two rare players really vexes me. It is borderline ignorant. I would only restructure someone for Wilson or Thomas or Sherman. Everyone else can be replaced. Tate is replaceable. Chancellor is replaceable. Miller and Rice, not replaceable.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
nbk35zw":189rcqa9 said:
Why the hell does everyone want to get rid of Miller and Rice. My God. You don't just pull this type of talent out of thin air. Seattle will try all the can to AVOID renegotiating contracts unless they under perform. They are both rare players.

This flippant talk of restructuring two rare players really vexes me. It is borderline ignorant. I would only restructure someone for Wilson or Thomas or Sherman. Everyone else can be replaced. Tate is replaceable. Chancellor is replaceable. Miller and Rice, not replaceable.

The talent isn't on their end. Miller is married to the success of the Oline. If it struggles, we're paying 11 million for an extra pass protector, and defenses can breathe easy because he won't be sneaking into their secondary. He spent until week 13 essentially under performing because he was bailing out the right side of the line. Blocking TE's are pretty inexpensive.

As for Rice, well. Russell Wilson gave rise to his best year since the Brett Favre days, not like he just stepped it up because we're paying him to do so. He may not have missed games due to injury last year but he sure played quietly with injuries. Between defenses freaking out over an 11 million dollar Harvin and Russell Wilson using that to his advantage you don't need an 8 million dollar Rice to exploit a defense. He isn't the one giving defenses a headache.

They aren't national treasures, yes they can be replaced, especially if we win a Lombardi in '13. Look to going way cheaper because a super bowl winning QB will command enough money to start selectively shaving contracts before we find ourselves in Baltimore's rebuilding situation.