The Draft Nobody Is Talking About

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Seahawks are seemingly stacked at every position except a few depth areas especially on the O-line. So I wonder if they'll choose to go an essential but non-sexy draft opting to use their first 3 picks on O-linemen.

While I know many of you would be like "What the hell?"

Other than Okung and Unger, and until Carpenter can get back on the field and stay on the field every other spot on the line would qualify as highly upgradable. Also, everyone knows that McQuistan and Giacomini both will be free agents after this season.

My sole point of thinking is if the Seahawks stack their O-line with athletic, powerful players that fit the Cable mold right off the bat in this draft using their first 3 picks... we don't have to be reliant to re-sign McQuistan or Giacomini, the competition for Carpenter, Moffitt, and Sweezy to improve would be more apparent, and literally there would be nothing to gain but the Seahawks trying to catch up to the 49ers O-line which is probably hands down the most dominant in the game.

For draft picks, I would be ecstatic if the Seahawks could trade down a bit to add a couple more picks, and add guys like Jordan Mills, Barrett Jones, and David Quessenberry to the mix.

nbk35zw

Reaction score
I would be stoked if that took place. Best talent at 56 seems the smart move in the 2nd. After that, whatever works.

cheese22

Reaction score
I've been surprised that Barrett Jones hasn't been discussed more around here. Big, smart, capable of multiple positions. He seems to have the intangibles too.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'd love to have SF's OL but I think ours is plenty deep and only getting better.

Carpenter will be a stud at LG!

So we have McQ, Moffit, and Sweezy for 1 starting spot then depth. I'm a huge Giacomini fan so unless we get a top 3 OT I think he'd beat out any rookie. If OL a backup Center who could play guard is a good idea.

We need to invest in our DL and LB's on defense to build a tougher front that can take on SF's OL.

We need a TE who can be a weapon opposite Miller not just an avg guy.

We need to get a big WR to back up Rice and take redzone reps from Tate on the outside.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
cheese22":72k4yu22 said:
I've been surprised that Barrett Jones hasn't been discussed more around here. Big, smart, capable of multiple positions. He seems to have the intangibles too.

I'd say the conversation occurs at 2 levels:

1. Early picks. These have been dominated by athletic/measurables types. Barrett doesn't fit this. It's also been a 'Tackle only' conversation and I believe for good reason. Barrett doesn't fit this either.

2. Late picks. It's still dominated by OT prospects. But you hear some OG chirping occasionally.

The thing is, Jones isn't a late pick prospect. And he's not a Tackle prospect. So there really is no reason to discuss him. We barely got the conversation rolling with Jonathan Cooper or Chance Warmack before we lost our #1 overall. Jones is not the kind of prospect you take in R2, when there are going to be good to great prospects for other positions available there.

You lose a whole lot more than you gain by taking Jones in the second. And he's not likely to reach the end of the third. I just don't see us considering an interior lineman at all until day 3. Jones doesn't seem like a 'must have' guy.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3kcwmjwj said:
I'd love to have SF's OL but I think ours is plenty deep and only getting better.

Carpenter will be a stud at LG!

So we have McQ, Moffit, and Sweezy for 1 starting spot then depth. I'm a huge Giacomini fan so unless we get a top 3 OT I think he'd beat out any rookie. If OL a backup Center who could play guard is a good idea.

We need to invest in our DL and LB's on defense to build a tougher front that can take on SF's OL.

We need a TE who can be a weapon opposite Miller not just an avg guy.

We need to get a big WR to back up Rice and take redzone reps from Tate on the outside.

Carpenter COULD be a stud LG.

McQuistan is overly solid but still will be a f/a. Moffitt is average at best and oft-injured. Sweezy has potential but is still incredibly raw.

Giacomini is much better than what he is given credit for but is still at replacement level of play.

Seahawks have a plethora of D-lineman and plenty of talent to figure out and don't forget Quinn is one of the best in the biz at coaching up the D-line. Also, I'm not seeing the need for WLB like some believe, Seahawks like what they got in Morgan and Smith. They have closet hybrid linebackers who can cover in CB, Winfield and SS, Chanchellor. They also have Irvin, Avril, and eventually Clemons who can work the strong side shifting Wright to MLB, and Wagner to SLB.

Seahawks have wanted a Joker type TE the last few years to more or less "catch up with NFL trends" but with addition of Harvin the need is more non-essential and unwarranted. Seahawks need their TEs to thrive as capable, punishing blockers and act more as security blankets rather than play-makers... types of players that can be drafted later in the draft. Anthony McCoy will most likely only get better as well entering his 4th season of experience and a contract year where production equates payday.

Rice's potential backup is already on the roster in 6-5 Stephen Williams, and while this draft is deep in WRs there are few with Rice's and Williams' size.

Most importantly what you missed about my argument is that Okung, Carpenter, and Moffit all have current injury histories that can’t be overlooked. McQuistan, Giacomini, and Jeanpierre will be free agents. And it often takes O-linemen longer to be acclimated into the NFL and be developed into pro-style systems rather than Defensive players who can often be rotated accordingly to on field situations.

Ultimately, if the Seahawks can improve O-line play through depth and competition as well as prepare themselves by drafting insurance the greater the chance for a better O-line for 2013 and beyond, again, without being reliant to re-sign their guys thus continuing the shift of cap room for their defensive free agents.

A dominant O-line might also equate to a better possibly elite mistake-free Wilson, a more dominant Lynch, an offense that can an score an abundance of points in the first half instead of relying on their scheme to wear opponents down over the entirety of the game. As well as, an offense that can control time of possession allowing the defense to play smaller than necessary but quicker, faster, more athletic and more aggressive with teams having to pass the ball to catch up reminiscent of our 2005 Superbowl team, (also considering Quinn’s aggressive tendencies with his Florida teams, perhaps a strong commitment to the return of the Bandit scheme paired with a legitimate NASCAR package) except way more elite talent at every defensive position and similar to the Giants defenses that did win two Superbowls.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
One of the reasons I suspect Barrett Jones hasn't been discussed much is because his best position is center, a position we are sorted at for years. He played tackle for a while at Alabama but really Jones is a center who might be able to fill in at guard. I wouldn't want him starting anywhere other than center though.

As for the line in general, we cannot underestimate the importance of familiarity and consistency. You can't just keep shuffling the pack every year and expecting a great line. This is the one area in the league where five guys have to work as one. It's not an individual sport playing o-line. If we keep changing things around every year, the line will suffer. It's time this team put down some roots and stuck with the starters who did a good job last year and the back end of 2011.