NYCoug's Mock Draft

NYCoug

Reaction score
I'm already bored as hell and there's no work today, so I figured let me get to work on this. I figure that most of the rounds may not be a great projection of what some of these guys value are, but then again there are risers and fallers in every draft. To make it easier, I just decided to show some Hawks love and use Seahawks Draft Blog's latest mock draft as my guide to who is and who isn't available. Thanks for all the hard work Rob and Kip. If not for you guys, there would be countless hours of more productivity but much less fun and knowledge in my life. Take a bow.

2nd Round - Pick #56 Overall: Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
6'0"
214 LBS
4.48 40
He's no one's favorite receiver in this year's draft, but apparently the Hawks have been a fan of his since 2011 and that's all that matters here. Reminds me a lot of Greg Jennings when he came out of Western Michigan. No one was blown away by him due to his measurables, quality of competition, etc. but he did 3 things very well. Catch the ball, consistently get open, and make big plays. Quinton Patton excels in those 3 areas as well. He's ultra competitive and has a ton of swagger, which probably also adds to Seattle's interest in him. He probably wouldn't be called upon to do too much in his rookie season with the Hawks, but he'd likely impress in Camp and during practices. With Sidney Rice' contract situation looming, and Golden Tate a free agent after this season, Seattle takes action and grabs a very underrated WR, in my mind.

[youtube]a3qXjswWdUw[/youtube]

3rd Round - Pick #87 Overall: Jordan Mills, RT, Louisiana Tech
6'5"
316 LBS
For the second season in a row, the Seahawks select a pair of college teammates (Wagner/Turbin - Utah State) from a WAC school. Mills has the nasty demeanor that Tom Cable loves, as well as possessing the size (6'5" 316lbs) to be a road-grader of the Breno Giacomini variety. With Giacomini entering the last season of his contract, and having played well enough to expect a raise, Seattle might be wise to draft his future replacement now so that they aren't stuck relying on a rookie with no experience to start next year. This quote from Mills gets me thinking that he's a lock to get picked by Seattle at some point, possibly even a round earlier than where I have him here.

"This is the world's greatest sport," Mills said. "It started with tough guys like Mike Ditka, Mean Joe Greene, Lawrence Taylor. I've watched their old games on NFL Network. They played the game with reckless abandon. You can't let nobody push you around. If they're going to be nasty, you've got to be even nastier.

"I can get with the nastiest. I can be the nastiest. It comes with the territory. If you want to get dirty and grimy with me, I'm going to get even dirtier and grimier. You've got to have that edge."

You can check out the tape on him in the video above for Quinton Patton. Killing two birds with one stone.

4th Round - Pick #123 Overall: Stefan Charles, DT/DE, University of Regina
6'5"
324 LBS
37" Vertical
I had no clue this guy existed before Scott started a thread about him a few days ago. Now, he's one of the guy's I hope Seattle lands. After the success former teammate Akiem Hicks had with the Saints last season, I'm thinking the athletic, versatile Canadian can have a similar impact for Seattle. Nice potential going forward.

[youtube]rDy-j2DQhQw[/youtube]

5th Round - Pick #138 Overall: Cooper Taylor, S, Richmond
6'4"
229 LBS
4.45 40
I don't know if they'd see Taylor as a Safety or a Weakside Linebacker but I could see him being this year's answer to 5th rounder Korey Toomer. Toomer was an uber-athletic, impressive physical specimen who used his rookie season to basically redshirt for the Hawks. Cooper Taylor has the same qualities. Taylor has the size, athleticism, and star potential that Seattle tends to look for around the 5th round. Truth be told, they are always looking for it, but they somehow seem to find it in the 5th (Kam, Sherm).

[youtube]keDMX76oW1Q[/youtube]

5th Round - Pick #158 Overall: Latavius Murray, RB, UCF
6'2"
223 LBS
4.38 40
TeamoftheCentury gets the kudos for the heads up on this one. Murray's got a rare blend of size and speed at RB and I actually can't believe he's not getting more hype than he is. Apparently teams like him, as he's visited with a few teams already, most notably the Seahawks. While everyone is always talking about potentially adding a "change of pace" back, the Seahawks don't seem too interested in that and have never adopted such an approach under Pete Carroll. So I think they add another bruiser as their #3 guy, and one that has top flight speed to boot. The Seahawks have long needed an upright runner since the days of Ricky Watters came to an end and TJ Duckett failed to be that guy years ago when given the chance. The Hawks get it right this time with Murray. Plus, he's a New Yawkah, I gotta pull for him, even though I had no clue where Nedrow, NY was before looking it up.

[youtube]KoWesK_820U[/youtube]

6th Round - Pick #194 Overall: Jayson Dimanche, WLB, Southern Illinois
6'0"
231 LBS
4.53 40
One of my absolute favorite players in this year's draft. Another great find from Scottemojo. I remember kearly writing about how Irvin and Wilson were two guys that he couldn't walk away from the draft without. Dimanche is one of those guys for me. He's got the hustle, closing speed, and killer instinct that you just can't teach. All of the great LB's in league history have possessed it. He's aggressive but instinctive. Undersized but a ruthless hitter. I just love his game and hope that he hears his name called by the Hawks in a few weeks. He deserves to be on a team this good.

[youtube]8UOon6GISAI[/youtube]

7th Round - Pick #214 Overall: Brice Butler, CB, San Diego State
6'3"
214 LBS
4.37 40
For the second year in a row the Seahawks take on a project switching sides of the ball, only this year Brice Butler does the opposite of JR Sweezy and switches from offense to defense. Just a guy at WR with San Diego State, the Seahawks have approached the former Pete Carroll/USC recruit/transfer about possibly playing defense (CB) in the pro's. Considering his size and the size of Browner/Sherm it's easy to see what they might like with Butler if he pans out. He'd be learning from one of the greatest WR/CB converts in recent memory in Richard Sherman. Granted, Sherm made the switch while at Stanford, but you get the point. With Sherm and Sweezy in his corner and able to relate with, this might actually work.

Here's him looking pretty good in his RS-Freshman year for USC. It's easy to envision him being a CB in most of those plays when he's tracking the jump ball.

[youtube]g0N7x5CYhIY[/youtube]

7th Round - Pick #220 Overall: Eric Rogers, WR, Cal Lutheran
6'3"
206 LBS
4.50 40
A guy that the Hawks have been linked to and a nice developmental prospect that could likely redshirt his first year or spend it on the Practice Squad. There's some pretty nice catches in the video below and he looks like he's got some upside to possibly be a Sidney Rice type down the road.

[youtube]WWlqe4pbJH4[/youtube]

[youtube]pQzYdpcCDUs[/youtube]

7th Round - Pick #231 Overall: BJ Daniels, QB, USF
5'11"
217 LBS
4.63 40
If Jeff Tuel were still around at this point, it'd be a tough choice for me. Even still, I'd have to take off the crimson-colored glasses and go with Daniels, who just impresses me more. Dude's built like a tank and reminds me the most of Russell Wilson in this draft. Good find kearly. His highlight video is one of the most exciting to watch of any QB in this draft and that stiff-arm is just NASTY! I'd love to see that once or twice a pre-season.

[youtube]HL0soMrNlus[/youtube]

7th Round - Pick #241 Overall: Dustin Hopkins, K, FSU
Who Cares.
Don't know if he'll be available at this point. If not, I could see the team taking K/P Quinn Sharp out of Oklahoma State. Punted his whole career until his senior season, when he became the place kicker as well. Has the versatility JS/PC love (LOL) Hopkins on the other hand has a big leg and whoever gets drafted will probably have to compete with a veteran, probably Steven Hauschka for the roster spot. That sort of battle would come down to accuracy (Hauschka) vs. a big leg (Hopkins) and who the Hawks value more. That'd actually be a pretty interesting camp battle on a team where most of the starting positions are already resolved. Or, they could NOT draft a kicker and have Carson Wiggs, another younger kicker with a big leg, compete. Who knows at this point?

[youtube]M3N6jdbMPN4[/youtube]

7th Round - Pick #242 Overall: Justice Cunningham, TE, South Carolina
6'2"
258 LBS
4.90 40
Tough call here for me between Kyler Reed and Cunningham, but for some reason I think someone will be enamored with Reed and pick him higher than people think. He had a great season two years ago setting the Nebraska TE TD record with 8 before having a poor senior season. Still, he just ran a 4.47 at his Pro Day and it actually be very well be the Seahawks, who are linked to Reed, who fall in love with him and pick him much higher than people expected him to go. However, for the sake of this mock, Reed's off the board so the Hawks go with Justice Cunningham. Although he had a poor showing at the combine, Cunningham's got the versatility the Hawks like. Played H-Back and TE at South Carolina and is a very solid blocker as well as having soft hands. He's a guy who got better every year during his career in Columbia. I just think he should be a Hawk based on the name alone. I can't remember who it was, but somebody here tipped me off on Cunningham. I like the big fella and he adds another set of dreads to the team, something this draft desperately lacks outside of Dimanche. Cunningham is a little redundant and similar to Anthony McCoy and doesn't give the "Aaron Hernandez" type of TE that most want, but his intensity and aggression on the field will be the icing on the cake to a great draft and a great off-season.

Love his Elway "helicopter" impression and how he eats the shot against Vandy.

[youtube]GMFTgyiqA6Q[/youtube]

Okay ladies and gents. Pick it apart, do whatever you'd like to it. How would you feel if the draft turned out this way?

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
The Hawks would have themselves a great pool of talent to go into camp competition. I'm sure those 2nd and 3rd round players you chose will be players in the league.
That was kind of you to mention me with your Latavius Murray pick. I was actually at that game you posted vs. SMU with my two younger boys and members of their Fall Pop Warner football team.
I like that it's evident you follow what is posted about prospects and you've included picks brought to this boards' attention by several different posters. You're "All-In" at .net!

pehawk

Reaction score
I didn't get any shoutouts. I'm very sad.

Oh, and I love the draft. Especially sterring into the potential skid that is Sydney. Rice's the type who needs a constant fire lit under him, IMO.

OP
OP
N

NYCoug

Reaction score
You didn't get a shoutout there because I wanted to take the time to Russell Wilson it and give you your own shoutout post.

The fact that you took the time to respond to my own stupid mock draft that means nothing means the world to me, pe. You've lifted my spirits more than you'll ever know. You'd definitely make a list of the Top-100 Seahawks fans not only on the earth today, but those that have already passed on. We all know the story about Isaiah Kacyvenski having a sign on his ceiling that read "work harder" or something motivational like that so that when he woke up every day he saw this message. Well, I'm going to put a picture of you shotgunning a beer on my ceiling so that I remember two things: a) Be more like pe! and b) You're never too old to shotgun a beer.

More shoutouts, it was actually Atylla the Hawk who brought up Justice Cunningham. TeamoftheCentury, that's a pretty awesome coincidence about you and your kids being at the Latavius Murray game I posted. You've got some awesome football stories man, you should write a book!

pehawk

Reaction score
Timm Rosenbach's rolling in his grave, NY. A Coug that EVER doubted an age-limit on shotgunning?

OP
OP
N

NYCoug

Reaction score
Geez, you're right. I'm ashamed.

*Kneels and starts saying 20 Our Bledsoe's and 15 Hail Gesser's while holding Rosenbachary beads*

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I don't care for Patton very much at all, one of my least favorite WR's that will be drafted in the top 3 rounds. I also think a WLB earlier than the 6th is a must, considering it is our #1 position of weakness IMO

OP
OP
N

NYCoug

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2fusjus7 said:
I don't care for Patton very much at all, one of my least favorite WR's that will be drafted in the top 3 rounds. I also think a WLB earlier than the 6th is a must, considering it is our #1 position of weakness IMO

I hear ya. For some reason I believe Carroll when he says that he likes the "backup crew." I'm a big fan of Toomer's myself, and I hope that he impresses but if Arthur Brown Jr fell to the Hawks pick in the 2nd, I'd take him over Patton hands down.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
This draft is really frustrating/exciting. Like if your parents bought your Christmas presents without you making a list. And then for good measure, stashed them at work so you can't peek at them while they are away.

I've not really dug into Patton much. I guess I didn't feel a need to based on how he looked at the Senior Bowl. He didn't impress me as Wheaton/Harper did. Guess I was kind of lazy on him. I just recall seeing bits and pieces of him and going 'hrm -- next!'. Nothing stood out as particularly noteworthy or worth revisiting his games.

I've noted before, that we've taken specific positions in every draft thus far (OL,LB,DB,DL). There's no guarantee that this continues and I expect it's partially due to the nature of those positions (high volume in terms of # players on our roster -- and ability to get quality late in the draft).

Honestly looking at our list of positions with the most potential to upgrade and couple that with where the talent lies in this draft -- I'd have to think that at the very least, OL, DB and DL will get represented again. This draft is deep at all three areas, and epically deep at OL. LB might be the one position that drops off this list. Although I still think we get one late on day 3. Someone to push the backup crew along.

Right now, I'd agree. It appears we look content and giving Smith, Morgan and Bradford a 'winner take all' competition to start. There is definite quality there as was evident last season. Adding someone for competition follows suit. Pete's always liked to point to backups and starters alike -- that their jobs are waiting to be taken by next year's newcomers.

kearly

Reaction score
Awesome mock draft NYCoug. Seriously, one of the better ones I've read this year. It's not that I loved every pick (though I really liked a great deal of them), but you did a good job covering some names that were maybe talked about but hadn't been involved in a lot of mocks prior, so this mock came off as being very fresh.

It also struck me as highly realistic. Even Quinton Patton would not completely shock me.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Nice mock, NYCoug!

Love: Jayson Dimanche, Cooper Taylor. After watching that HL video, Dimanche looks like THE answer at WLB. In fact, I think I would rather take Jayson Dimanche over Cooper Taylor at #138.

Like: Latavius Murray and Brice Butler. Latavius Murray reminds me of Darren McFadden. Fast and aggressive. The problem is that he seems to have limited vision and seems to go down on first contact. Brice Butler certainly has the measurables to be a Hawk db. Cant have enough 6'3 200+ lbs corners.

I see the others as realistic, if unexciting, picks.

I would easily take Sam McGuffie over Eric Rogers. Also, I am in agreement that if Kyler Reed is available, I would take him over Cunningham.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Awesome Mock!

I especially like the idea that Cooper Taylor goes in the 5th. He is the vogue 6th/7th round pick in virtually every mock draft I've ever seen. There's going to be one team that reaches for him in the 5th. If a team wants him, they'll need to pick him there or early 6th.

I personally don't see him worthy of that position -- but the upside is obviously clear.

Even the picks I didn't agree with, I liked the reasoning for them. Very solid and well represented. Some of those guys I haven't looked at and now I feel obliged to do so. Loved the effort.