A review of every late round QB by yours truly

kearly

Reaction score
Okay, not every single one, but I did just watch and break down 43 quarterbacks toda.... since the last time I woke up. I ended up writing about 18 of them in the SDB article below. Found some pretty interesting players. My new late round favorite is Ryan Aplin.

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/the-2013-l ... back-class

Now excuse me while I pass out.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Great work, Kip. Thanks so much for these.

Aplin looks very interesting.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Kip, this article is great. It's a long one, so it's taking me awhile to go through em, still, but it's the the best late-round QB piece I've seen so far! :th2thumbs:

NYCoug

Reaction score
Great work dude. Tackled this armed with a Grapeade Arizona and some sweet spicy chili doritos :snack: Made for an enjoyable hour or so. Ryan Aplin with some video game numbers! He was Geno Smith minus the collapse haha

Seriously though. Thank you. For your sake, I hope they go with Aplin. You deserve it after all the hard work you put into this.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Quick question kearly.

Out of all the late round QB's, who do you see as the guy that has the highest upside without the washout potential. Basically, which guy would you draft with an eye towards trading him down the road, and which one do you think the rest of the league would find most attractive with a few years of polish and "learning from one of the best in Russell Wilson?"

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
All five of my favorite late round QBs are under 6'2", which might make them difficult to trade. The one with the highest upside and therefore the maximum trade value if everything goes right is probably Nathan Stanley. Zac Dysert and Colby Cameron would be good picks for trade value potential too- since trade value is all about reputation and those guys would have a head start. I'm not a fan of Dysert though, and I'd rather avoid Cameron.

I could see Jordan Rodgers having pretty good value if he looks good for us, given the name recognition.

Though really, I think any QB could have trade value if he comes in and tears shit up.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response.

I just watched some more stuff on Stanley. You can definitely see the big-time potential and why Ole Miss was so high on him before JSeahawk's boy Jeremiah Masoli transfered down there and took his job. Interesting note, Stanley was actually the starting QB for that epic season/home opening loss to Jacksonville State for Ole Miss. His line wasn't bad at all though, 6/10 133 3/0, but I digress. He's definitely got the big time arm that'll wow scouts around the league come pre-season.

I don't know why, but for some reason Colby Cameron reminds me of Kevin Kolb when he was at U of Houston. A dude who can just sling it from all angles but someone, like you said, I'd rather avoid. Mostly because I doubt his body will be able to withstand an NFL beating and secondly because I don't think he'll be able to make all the throws in the pro's.

Good call on Rodgers. If he tears it up in camp/pre-season for a few years, teams will be salivating at the thought that he's a late-blooming version of his brother.

I actually like Dysert the more I watch him, although it's probably because he's the only QB to come out of Miami (Ohio) since Big Ben, and I used to LOVE Big Ben in college. That was actually one of my finest "scouting" moments, was when I saw a thursday night game featuring Miami (Oh) when Big Ben was a RS Freshman and I told a bunch of friends that he was going to be a Hall of Famer. Absolutely ridiculous call at the time with limited to no actual scouting being done, but who knows, maybe I'll end up being right after all, although I went from loving him to hating him after XL and now being Rapelisberger. So it's bittersweet. Back to Dysert, something tells me someone in more need of a QB will fall in love with his arm this year and pick him way before we ever have the chance.

So with Aplin, I guess you see him as kind of a perfect fit for Seattle as a longterm backup but a guy who won't be too appealing outside of Seattle's system to other teams?

Latest posts