My first attempt - thoughts on Jeff Tuel

MOCHawk

Reaction score
I'm a lifelong Seahawks fan from Missouri and I don't watch college football, but I am very interested in who the Hawks are going to bring in to compete at QB. I wanted to see what the experts think about the Washington State QB. I was intrigued by his measurables at his Pro Day and watched a highlight video. I saw a guy who looked down field the entire time he was extending plays. I saw him work through progressions, make quick decisions, do a reverse pivot when there was an unaccounted-for rusher, and someone who made his teammates look better.

I know several of you have probably watched him play a bunch and there must be some pretty serious flaws or he would be more talked about. I was watching a highlight film so I'm sure by looking at his numbers that there are issues.

Wouldn't this guy be worth a flyer in the 7th round?

two dog

Reaction score
Yeah, he would. He might not even get drafted but you'd better be on his doorstep if he's not.
Both New England and Buffalo have been sniffing around. He and Marquess Wilson were scheduled
to work out for the Patriots at U of Idaho on March 22. According to the schedule I saw, Tuel
should be in Buffalo right now for a two day workout on the 8th & the 9th.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
MOCHawk":1cvgj526 said:
I'm a lifelong Seahawks fan from Missouri and I don't watch college football, but I am very interested in who the Hawks are going to bring in to compete at QB.

What part of the Show Me state are you from? I grew up just outside of St. Louis.

Surprised that you aren't more into college ball now that Mizzou is respectable. Pinkel has done a good job with that program, although moving to the SEC may have been overly ambitious...

How did you wind up a Hawk fan?

Tuel is an intriguing prospect. He had a solid pro day and showed himself to be a good athlete with a decent arm. I think he has the kind of upside worthy of being drafted. I doubt he'll be a UDFA.

NYCoug

Reaction score
I always loved Tuel while he was with the Cougs. He played for some pretty awful teams but always showed promise and was an excellent leader throughout a very difficult time. Things never quite worked out the way we hoped they would at Wazzu, but he's a classic example of a guy who might be able to have more success in the pro's with better players around him.

I'm worried about his durability in the pro's. The injury bug seemed to find him a lot while he was at Wazzu and I'm actually a little surprised the NCAA wouldn't give him another year of eligibility. Maybe it's for the better. Along with his great leadership and nice intangibles, Tuel's got very nice athleticism for a QB. Good size (6'3" 218) and an above average arm. Not the strongest arm in the world but it'll get the job done if he ever gets a shot at serious playing time in the NFL. I think he'll get drafted in the later rounds since he's been generating a nice amount of interest as of late. In my mind, with a few years on the bench plying his craft, he could end up being a solid starter or at least a good backup. Also, his escapability can not be overstated. Great pocket presence and ability to keep his head down field and keep plays alive by moving around in the pocket. Despite the fact that he rarely ever had a pocket considering WSU had some awful O-Line's during his career.

I have a feeling he'll end up in San Francisco though as a developmental QB. I told pe this a few weeks ago, but Tuel reminds me of Alex Smith. They're basically the exact same size, have similar "sneaky" athletic ability, and throw well on the run. The reason I think he ends up in San Fran is because Paul Wulff, the head coach who recruited him to WSU, is now working on the 49ers staff. He'd be a fine developmental prospect for any team and I'd love it if he ended up in Seattle.

He was one of the few bright spots on an otherwise miserable team. He looked great as a true freshman, I thought he was going to be a monster but the team sucked and the O-Line couldn't keep him upright/healthy. He's a great kid though, so I'm pulling for him.

Tuel Time!

pehawk

Reaction score
What NYCoug said.

He's beyond intriguing as a developmental QB or mate.

NYCoug

Reaction score
pehawk":beq1q3o2 said:
He's beyond intriguing as a developmental QB or mate.

Icelandic women ages 21 to 45 tend to agree. Wait, I got an idea pe!

Jeff Tuel is... The Bachelor. Jesse Palmer doesn't have squat on Tuel Time!

pehawk

Reaction score
That's a great idea. Why WOULDN'T ABC do that? The WSU Cougars ARE America's Team, without a doubt.

Gesser can be the first gay Bachelor (not that there's anything wrong with that) next season?

Rat

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":372lnaec said:
What part of the Show Me state are you from? I grew up just outside of St. Louis.

Surprised that you aren't more into college ball now that Mizzou is respectable. Pinkel has done a good job with that program, although moving to the SEC may have been overly ambitious...
Not to mention that other school from Missouri that is tearing up the A-10.

I live in Missouri too, but I didn't grow up here, so I can't comment much on the history of these programs.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The cool thing that if Pehawk were on the show and won he wouldnt even have to change his last name!

[youtube]obKLdou0LH0[/youtube]

Thank you. Thank you. I'll be here all night.

pehawk

Reaction score
I think NYCoug compared Tuel to a poormans Alex Smith, right? Thats where I'm at.

NYCoug

Reaction score
pehawk":294gpk1t said:
I think NYCoug compared Tuel to a poormans Alex Smith, right? Thats where I'm at.

A poorman's Alex Smith is one broke mofo. He's Alex Smith reincarnate, minus getting a million and one chances to start.

I actually had to look up whether or not Jason Gesser was actually gay. He can still play the role of first gay bachelor though, even though he's not.

And yes, the Cougs are America's team. Haven't you seen all the pink Cougs jersey's the girls are wearing around US shopping malls? It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it.