The 2013 QB class, most "over-hated" of all time?

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I think the QBs in this draft are thought of in line with the rest of the positions. Solid depth with few impact players. After a QB draft like 2012's I'm not too surprised. Could end up helping this class of QBs to be regarded lowly, at least it means they won't immediately start on a hopeless team and be expected to save it, and instead have time to adjust and learn systems. Sort of feel sorry for Manziel next year, he'll probably be expected to turn around the most dysfunctional team in the NFL.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I like this draft class, too, but if my team needed a franchise QB I would be a bit frustrated. IMO, This is a great class for the depth and 2nd round quarterbacks w/ starter potential, but it's lacking in those polished Day 1 QBs that people identify with as a "strong" QB class.

Personally, I'd guess this draft class will end up somewhere in the middle when compared to the last 13 years, so 7th or 8th best.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
IMO, people who think little of this QB class are people with a romanticized view of what a QB class should be while forgetting that "good" quarterback classes are very uncommon. Between 1983 and 2012 there was only one QB class in the middle that compares: 2004.

Compare the 2013 QB class to several recent editions: Bradford/Tebow (2010), Stafford/Sanchez/Freeman (2009), Ryan/Flacco (2008), Russell/Quinn (2007), Young/Leinart/Cutler (2006). It blows them out of the water. I'd even put it ahead of the 2008 group by a sliver. Matt Barkley compares well to Matt Ryan and both will end up being (foolishly) passed over for a tackle. Flacco has done well but he wasn't a sensational prospect. The 2008 draft didn't have a 2nd tier worth talking about. The 2013 draft has one of the best 2nd tier QB groups I've seen.

I think people are obviously caught in the trap of comparing this year to 2012. Which is pretty funny, considering that the draft before that was the posterchild draft for not judging a book by it's cover. 2011 was not thought to be a good QB class either, and yet it produced Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, and Colin Kaepernick. I think Cam Newton the 2011 prospect is a lot better than Geno Smith the 2013 prospect, but a lot of the things people are saying about Newton they are saying about Smith. Mike Mayock had both of them in the 20s of his big board rankings.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The difference between this class and most, imo, is that this QB group doesnt have the one "can't miss" guy at the top. I think the depth in this class is fine, there are a lot of guys who will get drafted and get an opportunity. Geno Smith is a good prospect, and I think he'll be pretty good. Barkley will be a decent starter I think. I just don't see any who are sure fire really, really good QB's. Usually there's at least 1 of those guys.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I think you are right J, even if the perception itself is laughably flawed. In reality, most drafts don't have a "can't miss" QB. Here are the ones that actually did have a "can't miss" QB in the last 15 years:

2012 did.

2008 sort of did.

2006 did if you believed the hype.

2004 did.

2003 did.

1998 did.

2011 deserves to be on this list, but Cam Newton was FAR from a consensus #1, in fact many people didn't even have him as the #1 QB. It's also worth noting that a QB did not go #1 overall in 2008 or 2006.

Sure, most drafts from the past 15 years have had QBs go #1. That would imply that most years have a can't miss prospect. That would be false. In most cases teams reached for QBs out of desperation, not merit. It was very rare until recently to see the kind of QB depth the league has enjoyed the last 3 draft cycles, which meant that in most years you had to take a QB extremely early or not take one (that you could take seriously as a starter) at all. That's why guys like Matt Stafford and Sam Bradford went #1. Had those teams waited for the start of round 2, they'd be left holding the bag.

In my opinion, only 4 times in the last 15 years did we have a true "can't miss" QB at the top of the draft: Andrew Luck, Eli Manning, Carson Palmer, and Peyton Manning. And before Peyton you have to go WAY back to find the next one.

ivotuk

Reaction score
The term "Romanticized" pretty much covers it Kip. Russell Wilson absolutely destroyed most front office's confidence in their ability to evaluate a starting QB. Add to that the recent overdrafting of Gabbert, Ponder and Locker, and GMs just aren't sure anymore what it takes to be a good QB.

They all thought they knew and now they are scared, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a huge domino effect when the first 2 or 3 clubs pass on a QB, the others will be wondering why. They will get spooked and want the "sure" thing and start drafting linemen and linebackers, 2(3) of the somewhat "safe" positions to choose in the first round. However, DT has been notoriously bust-worthy in the first, but I don't think that will be the case this year. But that's a whole 'nother story.

I expect to see QBs passed on but then they will freak towards the end of round one and start trading back in to the first, and once one does it...bahhhhhh. :p

sutz

Reaction score
I think that the over-hyping, big money risk/reward mentality has been a cancer on the game. It has led to far too many reaches for so-called franchise players at many positions, not just QBs. Add in the herd mentality that ivo describes and you have pretty dysfuntional drafting. Now, with the rookie salary structure somewhat normalized, we're trending back to a more rational evaluation process. I mean, if you really look at the draft position value chart in common use, it's pretty insane. Is the first overall pick really worth more than the other 6 picks a team might have combined? I don't think so. In any draft, I believe that there is much more value than most people see, because they focus so much on the "can't miss" big money players at the top of Round 1.

I, for one, like it. I especially love that PC&JS have been ahead of the curve on this, and have basically built the team without a ton of first round "can't miss" picks. It remains to be seen if they can maintain the talent level as the paychecks come due, but they have what looks to be a very workable philosophy going here.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
2013 is an average year, but is forever in the shadow of last year. Last year was so over the top rich that this year was guaranteed to suffer a backlash for the lack of awesome players. Kind of like 1984 was a huge letdown after the 83 QB haul.

sainthawk29

Reaction score
I believe that this class compares well to most of the QB class over the last decade. The problem? The 2012 class might be the greatest class ever, (exception 1983) and the best in 25 years.

Remember, Barkely, Smith and Wison, were all expected to be in the mix for the first round last year ahead of Tannehill and Weeden.

The difference in this class? It reminds me more of a early 2000's class, where you can't expect any of the QB's to lead you from day one. That used to be the norm.... however, with the success of Luck, Wilson, RG3, Newton, teams are expecting greatness now.

IMO Barkley is a better prospect then Tannehill ever will be, and he went 8th last year.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I would go on record already with the idea that 2012 will be the best class ever.

After Elway, Kelly and Marino, you have O'Brien who was modestly successful (2 PBs and a 7 year career). I can see Tannehill eclipsing that. I can see more SB titles being authored by the 2012 class than the 1983 class. I can also see the total PB/AP count being a wash.

Luck, Griffin and Wilson turned in top 10 in the NFL ratings right out of the gate. The '83 class didn't do that.

And yeah, I think this QB class is suffering from the shadow of last years' class. It will be interesting to see if some of the teams in the 20s that have 32+ year old starters, take one of these QBs that slips. Chances are, they aren't going have that kind of opportunity again until they are no longer competitive.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Can't wait to see what the reaction will be to next years draft class. Presumably the league will have to cease to exist, given how poor it'll be.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Poor Landry Jones, dude was talked about by a lot of "experts" as a top ten pick at one point (athough i remember most of us here saw through the BS and weren't very high on him). Now dude rarely even gets mentioned.

pehawk

Reaction score
The more I read about Geno the person, the more I'm liking him.

I dont see much "bust" potential in him. I see his floor as being an "average" QB, with him most likely being the 13th to 17th best QB in the league any given year. BUT, I see potential for him to be greater than that, with great coaching and moderate skill players.

Is he worth going top 10? YES, of course he is, in a league where Ponder went what, 11 or 14?

The above goes for Barkley too, but, I COULD see him going Leinart, if he were do get drafted by Jets or Raiders.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I look at this years QBs much like I look at the 2011 draft (excluding Cam Newton who I had no idea about). I see a bunch of prospects that are the kind that I would hope my team would pass on and build the team instead. Don't take a QB just because you need one, especially if you don't have a great environment for him to succeed in!

Take the early Sanchez approach, have a great defense and great running game, then drop your QB in and give him a chance to succeed. Don't do to your new QB what Houston did to David Carr.

What I really like about this draft is the potential for very good back up QBs. My list, not necessarily in order is Zac Dysert, Jordan Rodgers, Tyler Wilson
Matt Scott, Sean Renfree and Colby Cameron. I think all of these guys have the ability to come in and keep the team going while your starting QB recovers from injury.

I just rewatched some Senior Bowl practice and loved what Dysert was doing. He wasn't in the Senior Bowl, but as I'm sure everyone knows, my favorite is Jordan Rodgers. I mean just watch the guy play on an overmatched team against Dan Quinn's Florida Gator Defense with Howard, Floyd and Elam on it. I see some Russell Wilson in this kid with his ability to create when a play breaks down. Granted he lacks experience, played some JUCO and only a year and a half at Purdue but I have absolute confidence that Jordan will be one of the best back ups in the league and with 2 or 3 years of exposure at the NFL level, would be able to start.

Like how I managed to squeeze Jordan Rodgers in to another post? :D

Oh, in case you haven't seen it, here's his game against Florida: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtiqnCF5a9s&feature=player_embedded

two dog

Reaction score
The perceived quality of the 2013 QB class is fostered by the "experts"
of the national media, none of whom work for an NFL team.

These experts do the same thing now that they do every year. The top
guys, Smith, Barkley are way over analyzed. Meanwhile, the lesser rated
QB's, Renfree, tyler, Rogers, etc. are mostly ignored.

I get a lot better information, including film, on this forum than anything
promulgated by the national football media.

Subzero717

Reaction score
This class is fairly typical minus "the rock star." Last year with Luck and RG3 was as hyped as Manning and Leaf. Remember RW went in the third. The results on this class need to play themselves out before the comparison can be made. As far as Tannehill he was thought to be a reach.