Can John Simon Become a 3-Tech DT?

Guardian

Reaction score
I love John Simon. He has the heart, the motor, the mind, and the strength of what my dream 3-tech DT would have. However, he's only 6'2" (this FO prefers 6'6"-ish height), and he's a little shy of 260 lbs. My question to you is this: Is there any way you think John Simon can become a 3-tech DT for this team? I'm interested in hearing different opinions on this idea.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I think he's the player that most doesn't have a position in this draft. He'd probably be best as a 3 tech DT but likely is maxed out @ about 260 which is too lite in the shorts and sort of slow.

Hard not to really like Simon but he's going to fall unless Pitt sees him as a replacement for Harrison even though Simon is slower. That said he's a bpure baller and would be a good locker room addition though I don't know where he'd play here.

kearly

Reaction score
He measured 6'1" on the button, played at 270.

Brandon Mebane is also 6'1".

I don't know if Simon would be the same at 300, but I think he could be pretty good at 275-280 in a Jason Jones type role.

Red Beard

Reaction score
Honestly, if available in the late 2nd, I wouldn't mind looking at Terron Armstead. Sure, we don't NEED to take a project type player early, but if we were going to, I'd hope it's him. He'd be an athletic RT with good strength or, if he can make the transition, could be an elite pass rushing DT. Didn't Geno Atkins have similar combine numbers? I think he was .05 slower than Armstead, but had more bench reps even though Armstead's 32 is nothing to look past.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Red Beard":3787olhf said:
Honestly, if available in the late 2nd, I wouldn't mind looking at Terron Armstead. Sure, we don't NEED to take a project type player early, but if we were going to, I'd hope it's him. He'd be an athletic RT with good strength or, if he can make the transition, could be an elite pass rushing DT. Didn't Geno Atkins have similar combine numbers? I think he was .05 slower than Armstead, but had more bench reps even though Armstead's 32 is nothing to look past.
I would have a lot of trouble taking another guy if Armstead were there. That would likely improve RT for the next 5 years at minimum.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Red Beard":3ffxyuem said:
To me, this whole assumption that Armstead is a project is way off. I get it because of the small school, athletic player must be a project thing. But, he is actually very fundementally sound and shows good technique. Already VERY good in pass pro due to athleticism and surprisingly sound technique with great feet, base, balance, and patience. In the run game he is not a mauler or road grader, but he does a good job getting the right angles and getting the seal....also able to get out out toss plays and screen game with ease because of athleticism. I'm with Scott...if there at 56 I'm not sure you can find a better player at that spot.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
To the original question, I would say no.

I don't think that's where we would use him though.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
kearly":m0ifxz46 said:
He measured 6'1" on the button, played at 270.

Brandon Mebane is also 6'1".

I don't know if Simon would be the same at 300, but I think he could be pretty good at 275-280 in a Jason Jones type role.

Really? He weighed 257 at the combine. Nothing I've read about Simon has informed me that he'd lost weight for the combine but you are very knowledgeable about some of these guys. OSU listed his weight at 260.

A complaint about him is he is almost too bulked-up, as per CBS draftscout.com

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664625

I love this player, he's a flat out baller; but wonder if he is big enough to play and stand up physically inside even though he'd give it his total all to try. I see him being used much in the same the team plans on using Bennett for us or otherwise as an undersized 4-3 LDE. Am doubtful he would play as conventional 4-3 OLB but could see him as a 3-4 OLB.

I'ddraft him b/c of his physicality and b/c he's ball player 3rd rd. (our pick or later).

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I cannot see this at all.

For me, Simon's best fit is OLB for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Dream fit for that scheme.

NYCoug

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":23c8pfqb said:
I cannot see this at all.

For me, Simon's best fit is OLB for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Dream fit for that scheme.

I agree with you English about Simon being a perfect fit at OLB for the Stealers.

However, I do think that Simon could thrive as an undersized 3-tech. I think he could be Karl Klug 2.0. Doubt it happens though, but if anyone were to do it, you have to think it'd be the Seahawks with their unconventional ways, right?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
They are very interested in him too as a replacement for Harrison.