Surprise!

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Since PC/JS seem adept at picking prospects that no one expects, what position would surprise you the most if they drafted with the #56 pick? Besides something stupid like a K or P. (So, surprising, yet realistic) Even more so if you wanted, which player at that position?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
To add onto your question, I think it must be a player at #56 that should be projected to contribute in a major role say at least 40% of the snaps should be a realistic option.

On offense pick #56 won't beat out QB, RB, LT, RT, C, #1 TE, #1 WR, Slot WR, FB
That leaves RG, LG, #2 WR, and #2 TE as positions where the most playing time is up for grabs

On Defense pick #56 won't beat out FS, SS, #1 CB, #2 CB, SLB, MLB, RDE, LDE, #1DT (Mebane), #2 DT (Bennett)
That leaves #3 DT, WLB, Nickle CB as the positions where the most playing time is up for grabs

So heres my order by priority of the positions where I think playing time is actually up for grabs
WLB, #3 DT, Nickle CB, #2 TE, #2 WR, RG, and LG.

So a big surprise that mabye makes the most sense but that would throw people off would be a WR at #56, With the aqusition of Harvin most wouldn't expect us to add another WR so early. I can see the logic becase Tate is a FA next year and PC like big WR's. This would be almost be like a redshirt year while the big WR would fight Tate for the #2 and likely get most time in the redzone or backing up Rice. If Rice goes down we will sorley lack a large WR target so some insurance would be nice, plus as expectations for that WR would be low. That's a plus because it seems to take most WR's time to develope.

Thoughts?

kearly

Reaction score
If Seattle did pull a shocking pick at #56 this year, my money would be on Denard Robinson.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3f5i14tl said:
To add onto your question, I think it must be a player at #56 that should be projected to contribute in a major role say at least 40% of the snaps should be a realistic option.

That leaves RG, LG, #2 WR, and #2 TE as positions where the most playing time is up for grabs

On Defense pick #56 won't beat out FS, SS, #1 CB, #2 CB, SLB, MLB, RDE, LDE, #1DT (Mebane), #2 DT (Bennett)
That leaves #3 DT, WLB, Nickle CB as the positions where the most playing time is up for grabs

So heres my order by priority of the positions where I think playing time is actually up for grabs

So a big surprise that mabye makes the most sense but that would throw people off would be a WR at #56, With the aqusition of Harvin most wouldn't expect us to add another WR so early. I can see the logic becase Tate is a FA next year and PC like big WR's. This would be almost be like a redshirt year while the big WR would fight Tate for the #2 and likely get most time in the redzone or backing up Rice. If Rice goes down we will sorley lack a large WR target so some insurance would be nice, plus as expectations for that WR would be low. That's a plus because it seems to take most WR's time to develope.

Thoughts?

I love the method but could envision a situation where an RT is selected who outshines Breno (Who I really like). OR a situation where a DT picked here comes on strong enough to see Bennett pushed to the outside exclusively or primarily. Our pile at guard is already sizeable and experienced, but none of Moffit, McQuistan, nor Sweezy astonishes. Certainly we are serviceable at our guard spots with the three and Carp... The more I talk through this, the more I like your conclusions... Although, I would likely put nickle CB behind TE.

Nice post.

ivotuk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":3s4sod92 said:
Wenhawk":3s4sod92 said:

Thoughts?

I love the method but could envision a situation where an RT is selected who outshines Breno (Who I really like). OR a situation where a DT picked here comes on strong enough to see Bennett pushed to the outside exclusively or primarily. Our pile at guard is already sizeable and experienced, but none of Moffit, McQuistan, nor Sweezy astonishes. Certainly we are serviceable at our guard spots with the three and Carp... The more I talk through this, the more I like your conclusions... Although, I would likely put nickle CB behind TE.

Nice post.

*chuckle* It is a nice post and it completely blew up my great idea :) Actually mine isn't too far off, Lemonier at 56 because some have him in the third round. To really go out on a limb, Devin Taylor based on his measureables. Some have him as a 3rd thru 5th.

OP
OP
bbsplitter

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I was under the impression bennett was a starting DE but only a situational guy on the inside as a DT?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
bbsplitter":1m3rkce7 said:
I was under the impression bennett was a starting DE but only a situational guy on the inside as a DT?

Nope Bennett is taking over the Jason Jones Pass Rushing DT role but I could see him taking snaps away from Red Bryant too.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1xawz1pn said:

Nice post.

I flip flopped on Nickle CB and #2 TE but determined that we have more of a known commodity in Anthoy McCoy than we do in Jeremy Lane, so I ranked CB ahead. I wish we had resigned Branch becasue I'd have put both ahead of DT if we had.

After realizing we do have WT3 and Maxwell I can see we have more depth at CB than TE and have plenty of competition already on the roster at CB.

Despite our need for DT I think we still have some sleepers in Scruggs and Howard and I'd rather draft two DT's in the 5th or 6th round than use our 2nd or 3rd on one.

Nickle CB would also be a shocker for many, with Sherman and Mebane due for FA soon and WT3 so injury prone we could invest some draft capital there and save money if we want to let Browner walk or Sherm asks for way too much.

Basis4day

Reaction score
bbsplitter":cjmjio87 said:
"Pass Rushing DT" = Situational...?

On third down in more obvious passing situations, yes, Bennett can move to the inside as a pass rushing DT.
Similar to Jason Jones last year.

It's a bit of a cluster of potential packages with Irvin, an injured Clem, Avril and Bennett all being DE.
They'll sort it out in camp.

Expect lots of different looks and don't get too worried about who is "starting".

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Being a 9 sack guy I think it's easy to project Bennett getting at least 40% of the snaps on the D Line. Irvin will probably get the least, unless Clemons is on PUP.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
If Deandre Hopkins starts to slip into the mid-2nd round I would LOVE it if we moved up to get him. That guy just impresses the heck out of me.

OP
OP
bbsplitter

bbsplitter

Reaction score
FargoHawk":23c2ogah said:
If Deandre Hopkins starts to slip into the mid-2nd round I would LOVE it if we moved up to get him. That guy just impresses the heck out of me.

That would be awesome, having an alternative to the very expensive Rice would be good down the road.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I could definitely see a WR at #56. Due to cap management, I imagine either Tate or Rice's spot is going to be up for grabs in 2014. If last year is any indication, our #5 receiver will definitely see the field, so there will be some opportunity for a rookie to develop and contribute. Yeah, it does some weird coming off the Harvin acquisition, but his salary also kind of creates the need for a cheap WR in the future.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
I'm rooting for a WR at 56. We need to get Golden or Sid's replacement, WR takes a bit to adjust to the NFL, and this year has great depth in the draft. I think we have Sid for the next two years, he will be too expensive to keep for 2015 unless he restructures. If we sign Golden, Sid could be gone after next season. I could actually see us picking up 2 WR in this years draft and using one of our late round picks on a JS special.

I would love if our first 3 picks were WR, TE, and OT. We are spending a boatload on offense right now and need to get cheaper and younger so we can afford to keep Earl, Sherm, and Wilson.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
if Matt Barkley fell to us @56 the team would rush to make the pick.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Timmahawk":33wrwjc3 said:
I'm rooting for a WR at 56. We need to get Golden or Sid's replacement, WR takes a bit to adjust to the NFL, and this year has great depth in the draft. I think we have Sid for the next two years, he will be too expensive to keep for 2015 unless he restructures. If we sign Golden, Sid could be gone after next season. I could actually see us picking up 2 WR in this years draft and using one of our late round picks on a JS special.

I would love if our first 3 picks were WR, TE, and OT. We are spending a boatload on offense right now and need to get cheaper and younger so we can afford to keep Earl, Sherm, and Wilson.
Yep, Ryan Swope would be a shocker

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Taking a risk on Hunter or D.Rogers would be cool, they'd have some time to get stronger and develope their skills before being relied upon. I really like Aaron Dobson as a 4th round WR but I think he will be gone before we pick in the 3rd.

IDepending on which LB's are available but Brown, Green, and Moore would be very hard to pass up with our #56.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Wenhawk":n5v6puiv said:

Thoughts?

Great post!

Another way of looking at things is which position would be most weakened by the loss of the starter?

If you combine your thinking in terms of available PT by with where the depth is most deficient there are some crossovers between both approaches.

In the most weakened line of thinking on D both NT (nobody on roster after Mebane) and 3 tech (are we all in on Bennett as the 3 tech with a torn Labrum?) are need areas as is WOLB, and NCB now we have Winfield. It can also be argued the team needs a better backup FS than Maragos.

On O besides the obvious ? Of what happens at QB if RW is out for any time. Is there enough depth at RB assuming injury to either of Lynch or Turbin? Is there a go to TE if Miller is out for an extended time? Is there any realistic depth at OT on the team? Does the team have a realistic backup big WR if Rice went down?

With this thinking the positional areas where depth might need to be added in no particular order are: DT (NT & 3 tech), WOLB, FS, & NCB on D. While on O: OT, QB,TE, big WR might be depth areas. The team is left to take a flyer or trade away one pick to hopefully recover the 3rd for next years draft lost in the Harvin deal.

Which pick happens at 56 depends on the best value available then still on the board.