Draft experts - who's our next backup QB ?

Hawks46

Reaction score
I've seen two sides of the argument after the Flynn trade...."backups don't really matter", and "have a good backup because you're only one injury away". Personally, I'm in the 2nd camp. I don't really understand how the backup QB has no value. Sure, the NFL is protecting QBs now, but you're only one EJ Henderson roll into Hasselbeck's knee from losing a guy for 2-4 weeks. That said, JS is also big on drafting developmental QBs and then making something off of them in a couple of years (the GB model).

So it seems inevitable now that we draft one more more QBs this year. From what I've read here, (and I have no time to scout) it's a miserable draft for QBs but there are always a few gems in the mud.

So, who do we like to get drafted, and where ?

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'm no expert but I really like Jordan Rodgers. He's mobile, his accuracy has been improving, and he will stand in the pocket under fire or move if he has to.

Matt Scott is a popular choice but there are 2 things against us drafting him, one, he's probably going to go too high for us to afford him, and two, he's never called plays in the huddle which was painfully obvious in the Shrine Game.

Rodgers will most likely be available in the 6th round and played very well with little experience (2 years), and a weak Vanderbilt team.

nbk35zw

Reaction score
Mr. English has a name I agree with: Sean Renfree.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Matt Scott is currently ranked #146 over all at cbssports.com. IF that doesn't change much, the Seahawks could potentially draft him with their 4-th round pick at #123 overall (or even in the 5-th round with their #138 pick overall) and I think they should. As to his inexperience making calls in the huddle, how is that a problem? The coaches send in most plays and he just has to repeat them in the huddle. With the post draft training camps and a full preseason, PC can get this guy on the proper path to be at least a competent backup. IMO. I would think that the San Francisco C---suckers might still have interest in him even though they just got McCoy and I'd hate to see Scott go there.

kearly

Reaction score
Supposedly Matt Scott is a getting major buzz in league circles right now and it's very unlikely he gets out of the 3rd round. Then again, there are a ton of 2nd round QBs this year. How many QBs could possibly go in round 2? I wouldn't be shocked if a "big name" QB reaches the 4th or 5th round, whether that's Matt Scott or someone else (my bet would be Tyler Wilson).

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
ivotuk":331r09cg said:
I'm no expert but I really like Jordan Rodgers. He's mobile, his accuracy has been improving, and he will stand in the pocket under fire or move if he has to.

Matt Scott is a popular choice but there are 2 things against us drafting him, one, he's probably going to go too high for us to afford him, and two, he's never called plays in the huddle which was painfully obvious in the Shrine Game.

Rodgers will most likely be available in the 6th round and played very well with little experience (2 years), and a weak Vanderbilt team.
I read your initial post about this and I watched the footage in the link you provided. I'm going to park my opinion with you on this one. I'm not as optimistic about Matt Scott as everyone else seems to be. I wonder if everyone that is talking him up are all centering on him as the smoke screen QB to hold their cards close (not revealing who they really want.) That would be easy to do. It could even get some other team to draft him and leave "your guy" alone. I just haven't been impressed with what I've seen of Matt Scott. I see potential in Jordan Rodgers and also like, in a somewhat sinister way, how that might make big brother Aaron feel about his brother being on the Seahawks roster! Would A.R. publicly say he's rooting for the Hawks once the Packers are eliminated and the Seahawks are playing for championships?

Lady Talon

Reaction score
If Aaron Rodger's brother ran the read-option in the NFL after Kaepernick shredded Aaron's team and he predicted it would die....

I would laugh. That being said, I wouldn't mind at all if the Hawks targeted him.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Yes, drafting Jordan Rodgers with the additional bonus of spite is growing on me more and more.

Seriously, his brother thinks he could develop (and, of course, that's a completely unbiased opinion.) 5'-11" B.J. Daniels (Univ South Florida) has also been mentioned before. Another QB I like in the draft is Ryan Griffin out of Tulane. Here's a 50 sec clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaS47BFc6Yg

Of the Veterans... sounds like the Hawks are bringing back Josh Portis. Troy Smith and Pat White might also be worth looks.

GCrow

Reaction score
nbk35zw":60e8m4gw said:

Like him too. Here's a good article breaking down his bowl game performance.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/future ... an-renfree

And a quote that obviously stands out;
What I love about this throw is the placement just outside the cornerback, who is recovering just in time to undercut the pass. The ball arrives on time, but the tight end drops this pass after contact.
This 29-yard pass hits the tight end’s hands after Renfree drops it over the defender flashing underneath. While the replay shows that the pass was possibly thrown a split-second late, this was still a very good throw from an off-balance position that he’ll have to make in the NFL in similar down-and-distance situations while facing similar pressure.

These are the types of passes I saw Russell Wilson make at N.C. State.

ivotuk

Reaction score
GCrow":1kdyojoa said:
nbk35zw":1kdyojoa said:

Like him too. Here's a good article breaking down his bowl game performance.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/future ... an-renfree

And a quote that obviously stands out;
What I love about this throw is the placement just outside the cornerback, who is recovering just in time to undercut the pass. The ball arrives on time, but the tight end drops this pass after contact.
This 29-yard pass hits the tight end’s hands after Renfree drops it over the defender flashing underneath. While the replay shows that the pass was possibly thrown a split-second late, this was still a very good throw from an off-balance position that he’ll have to make in the NFL in similar down-and-distance situations while facing similar pressure.

These are the types of passes I saw Russell Wilson make at N.C. State.

He looks pretty "meh" to me. Guy had all kinds of time behind the line of scrimmage but most of his throws were short outs. Some of his throws he sets his receivers up to get killed and he telegraphs his deep throws, hence the INTs, and almost INTs against a mediocre defense. Plus he has a tell, right before the snap, he starts to lean back. No pocket awareness, should have had a grounding call and at the end of the game gets clocked, throws an INT and then rolls around on the ground like he's hurt. Was he hurt? Maybe, but it didn't look like that big of a hit.

His deep throws are risky and that throw to the TE only looked good because the TE pushed off.

I'll stick with my guy Rodgers who makes good decisions under pressure.

Edit: Watch Renfree in his what? 3rd or 4th year vs a Cincinatti defense, then watch Jordan Rodgers in his 2nd year against a Florida defense with Sharif Floyd and Elam. Especially watch him at 3:45 :D And his TE #6 at 3:15 and later, I like that guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtiqnCF5a9s