Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: We need to draft Kyle Long
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:39 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:43 pm
Posts: 3966
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Don't tell me we don't need help on the O-Line, but we need this kid, because who ever heard of any lineman with the last name Long that wasn't dominant?

Mayock likes him, and I think we could get him, plus he's from Oregon. I rest my case, that is all! :mrgreen:

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: We need to draft Kyle Long
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:27 pm 
* NET Baller *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
Posts: 17511
Location: Graham, WA
He's from Oregon? must be dumb as *(*&

_________________
Image
3elieve


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: We need to draft Kyle Long
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:53 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 pm
Posts: 632
We don't need help on the O line


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: We need to draft Kyle Long
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:46 pm 
NET Bench Warmer
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:52 am
Posts: 18
Of course we need more linemen, specifically a OT. 2 of our OT have one more yr. on their contracts (i believe) and our starting ROT had a problem with pass blocking. It's a mistake to not plan for the future or potential injury because we can't afford to pay these guys more $ or have to search other team's castoffs at the last minute. The guard position is fine IMO but the Hawks definitely need a young athletic tackle in this draft.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: We need to draft Kyle Long
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:39 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm
Posts: 1378
Love him or hate him, it's guys like Breno that I think are going to be the ones that get churned out in order for the team to be able to keep the likes of Sherman, etc. It's a little bit more difficult when it comes to the O-Line because you want to keep a group together and let them get experienced working with one another, but unless Breno is content with making the $ he is now on his next deal, he's probably playing his final season for the Hawks. I like the guy and think he bounced back after an awful start to the season to have a pretty solid year. I love his aggression and nastiness. However, the Hawks can definitely stand to improve or at least get the same production for much cheaper in 2014. That's why I think the team will draft a T/G this year or maybe a guy like Long who can do both.

I keep wrestling with who I like more from this draft, Menelik Watson or Kyle Long. I like Long's versatility and the fact that his father and his brothers are/were all beasts. I like Watson because he's from England, has the accent and reminds people of Lennox Lewis with his gold tooth. Tough call.

_________________
Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: We need to draft Kyle Long
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:27 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:53 pm
Posts: 614
Location: Ft. Meade, MD
I agree with taking an offensive lineman. Breno did okay at pass blocking for the most part, but was nothing special. He had some rough days, especially against Chris Long. Right tackle doesn't necessarily need upgraded, but its one of the places where we can upgrade and save money. Our roster is getting to the point where all of our positions are solid and its hard to find players in the draft that could provide an immediate upgrade.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: We need to draft Kyle Long
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:58 pm 
* NET Moderator *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
Posts: 18457
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Throwdown wrote:
He's from Oregon? must be dumb as *(*&


Yea, but he's used to kicking ass in the city of Seattle, which is important for a Seahawk to have.

(actually he was only at Oregon for one year and never played in Seattle, but I won't let that get in the way of a good come back.)

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: We need to draft Kyle Long
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:13 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm
Posts: 1378
JSeahawks wrote:
Throwdown wrote:
He's from Oregon? must be dumb as *(*&


Yea, but he's used to kicking ass in the city of Seattle, which is important for a Seahawk to have.

(actually he was only at Oregon for one year and never played in Seattle, but I won't let that get in the way of a good come back.)


Don't forget that the Ducks played the Cougs in Seattle this past season. Don't know if he missed the game or something, but if he didn't, the Ducks kicked our ass in that one, so your point would still stand.

_________________
Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: We need to draft Kyle Long
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:31 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:11 am
Posts: 1018
Location: Utah
Remember the Eagles pick at 35 and I think they could use some help on their right side. Chip Kelley is obviously very familiar with Kyle and I don't think he will make it past Philly


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: We need to draft Kyle Long
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:47 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm
Posts: 1378
rjdriver wrote:
Remember the Eagles pick at 35 and I think they could use some help on their right side. Chip Kelley is obviously very familiar with Kyle and I don't think he will make it past Philly


If Chip's smart he won't take this route unless Long is truly the best T/G on the board at that point, in his mind. Remember, a lot of people thought that Pete was going to be drafting USC guys left and right when he took over here in Seattle. Some of his former players even thought that, remember how upset Taylor Mays was that Pete liked Earl Thomas more than him?

I'm pretty sure Kelley and Pete are friends. I'm sure Pete's talked to him about how he built this thing in Seattle so quickly. Hopefully, for the rest of the league, Kelley's ego gets in the way and he starts drafting his buddies from Oregon. Something tells me he's not though.

_________________
Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: We need to draft Kyle Long
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:32 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:47 am
Posts: 523
I like Long, but I would be disappointed if we used another early round draft pick on a offensive lineman. We do need to plan ahead for a replacement at RT when Breno contract expires, but there are some solid OT later in the draft.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: We need to draft Kyle Long
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:13 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 pm
Posts: 632
cover-2 wrote:
I like Long, but I would be disappointed if we used another early round draft pick on a offensive lineman. We do need to plan ahead for a replacement at RT when Breno contract expires, but there are some solid OT later in the draft.


Normally, I'd think this too.

This is however one of the best drafts for OL that I can remember. The quality, the depth. It's just outstanding.

Taking a OL in this draft, even in the 2nd and 3rd round -- is really almost like getting a full round better quality for the pick if it were any other year.

And while yes we have spent the top of our 2011 draft on the OL, the fact is, those investments are looking pretty sour at this point. We can't reasonably expect just one player/years worth of production in terms of snaps from both of them combined. It's entirely more likely, that McQuistan/Sweezy will double the snaps of Carpenter/Moffitt. I'm not saying it's time to kick them to the curb, but it certainly is not out of the realm of reason to start planning for contingencies.

And that isn't even accounting for backing up Giacomini either.

I would rather we didn't either. But the quality of this draft leaves me more than comfortable if we do go that route.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: We need to draft Kyle Long
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:43 am 
USMC 1970-77
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
Posts: 9555
Location: Monroe, WA
It would surprise me if they didn't draft at least one OL this year. Not sure how early they'll go, but with our team as it is and our FA signings, it looks more and more that we'll go BPA all the way, which not only is good for the team, but makes us more unpredictable come draft day. Nobody will know what we're planning.

:twisted:

_________________
Talent can get you to the playoffs.
It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: We need to draft Kyle Long
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:21 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:45 pm
Posts: 666
Location: Yakima
You must not forget that our starting right guard is a seventh round defensive lineman.
Cable seems to look for certain qualities in his preferred linemen. Not saying Long does
not posses those qualities, but it feels to me like it's not gonna happen.

First, I don't think Long is going to be available at fifty six.
Second, even if he were, just a gut feel that they would pass.
My gut hunches, however, have let me down many times.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: We need to draft Kyle Long
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:33 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 pm
Posts: 632
sutz wrote:
It would surprise me if they didn't draft at least one OL this year.


Me too. We've picked one every year. Of course, we've also picked a DB, LB and DL every year as well. No reason to think all 4 of these positions will see a new face this year either. Depth and need at all of these remain fairly high.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.