EmDiggy

Reaction score
[youtube]1ckjb9i5bYY[/youtube]

Good afternoon Hawks fans! Here's my Inside the War Room preview for you guys

Enjoy!

Em

pehawk

Reaction score
Thank you, Em. You earned a lifetime supply of street cred with last years post-draft analysis.

You kind of complete me.

pehawk

Reaction score
Barner, very interesting. And Christian Okoye loves the Azusa Pacific pick.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I like the think process, I have been gravitating toward a right tackle pick, and I think Watson could take Breno's job day 1. The tight end is a good get too.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I'm maybe a little surprised about no DT pick, but I definitely like both LB selections. If the draft fell like this, I'd be pretty happy.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":yzbasjyz said:
Two Ducks? Did JSeahawks help with this? :D

Interesting.

My first thought was that he was going to flip with the Kiko Alonso 'selection'.

I've been adamant against picking a new right tackle, but after hearing Schneider talk about how he's been breaking down some O-line film, it seems more likely. I also like that this draft loads up on some soft spots for Seattle with the intention of creating a fair amount of competition and in the hopes of hitting on at least one of those picks.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
The reality is, our line can stand to improve. If you take the blinders off and watch last season, there were issues - especially in pass blocking. Considering what we have at QB and the need to protect him as much as possible, it makes perfect sense that we would be looking at the O line in the draft.

Those of you who have convinced yourself there's "no way" they go OL in the draft might be in for a surprise.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
First off, very awesome work. It's unusual to see a guy who works the national scope to have such a detailed grasp on each individual club. Your stuff is must read quality.

That mock was very close to a dream mock I entered on draft countdown forum a week or so ago:

1st rd (25): Percy Harvin (trade)
2nd rd (56): Menelik Watson OT
3rd rd (87): Ryan Swope WR
4th rd (123): John Simon DL
5th rd (138): Chris Harper WR
5th rd (158): Brennan Williams OT
6th rd (194): Quanterus Smith DE
7th rd (214): Rufus Johnson DL
7th rd (220): Jelani Jenkins LB
7th rd (231): Abry Jones DT
7th rd (241): Brice Butler WR -> CB
7th rd (242): Luke Marquardt OT

Even got Watson and Marquardt in the exact same round. But I just don't see us taking one guard, let alone 2 when we have 3 that we're still evaluating. The OT depth is a huge problem and while we agreed on OL in Rd. 5, I see it being a OT exclusive draft.

Seattle has established a pretty clear threshold for speed in the LBs we select. This years' LB class is very notoriously slow. I like Collins as a prospect, but I do think that unless he's seen as a competitor/successor to KJ Wright -- I think we end up taking a project with speed in R7.

I'd also concede that getting Swope and Simon at those spots is becoming increasingly unlikely. We'd pretty much need to move those up a full round and even then that may not do it.

It's a good/deep draft for OL/DL, WR and DBs. I can see us getting more than 2 OL and DL each pretty easily. I don't see us skipping WR for 2 straight years (virtually 3 since 2011 netted us Kris Durham).

Awesome work! I still contend that there will be at least 5 players from this draft that make this team. I'd put the over/under on that figure.

And yes, I did realize later, that I have one too many 7th round selections up there.

RockHawk

Reaction score
Looks great as always Em, but I disagree on the 2nd round pick. You have to believe it will be the following:

2nd rd (56): "Some guy nobody's ever heard of that the pundits have rated in the mid to late rounds"

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Love it, id never grouse about Oline improvement. I think there will be a DT taken early though. if we take two LB's does someone get their walking papers besides Hill?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
RockHawk":3tg9rvh4 said:
Looks great as always Em, but I disagree on the 2nd round pick. You have to believe it will be the following:

2nd rd (56): "Some guy nobody's ever heard of that the pundits have rated in the mid to late rounds"

I'm hoping that name is Ryan Swope ...

ivotuk

Reaction score
Nice work. I disagree that we will take 3 O linemen and zero D linemen. I'd consider 1 O Line pick if the value is there but would prefer DT/DE.

OP
OP
E

EmDiggy

Reaction score
Thanks Gang! I'm willing to give Jaye Howard a chance at the position before rushing to draft one..you never know, he may be the guy you're looking for

pehawk

Reaction score
EmDiggy":7ksd7pd6 said:
Thanks Gang! I'm willing to give Jaye Howard a chance at the position before rushing to draft one..you never know, he may be the guy you're looking for

I hope so. This regime essentially "redshirted" Tate his first year too. Plus, the Hawks signed yet ANOTHER DT today.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
pehawk":3b184ne7 said:
EmDiggy":3b184ne7 said:

I hope so. This regime essentially "redshirted" Tate his first year too. Plus, the Hawks signed yet ANOTHER DT today.

Yeah see that.

We have 2 UFAs to replace the 2 we lost or are still missing (Jones and Branch). Avril could technically be replacing Leroy Hill. I'd have to think that Howard, Scruggs and McDonald would be candidates for some competition.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1n2bkjyu said:
The reality is, our line can stand to improve. If you take the blinders off and watch last season, there were issues - especially in pass blocking. Considering what we have at QB and the need to protect him as much as possible, it makes perfect sense that we would be looking at the O line in the draft.

Those of you who have convinced yourself there's "no way" they go OL in the draft might be in for a surprise.

I agree with what your saying. I just think it's overkill to draft 4 Offensive lineman.

Personally I think with another year of seasoning I think the Guard position is stacked. Moffitt and Sweezy will get better, I've heard nothing but good things about Rishaw Johnson and I fully expect Carpenter to have a breakout year.

I like the Watson pick. Though I'd hope we'd take 2 DLmen, weather that be 2 DT's or 1DE/1DT.

I can't wait for the draft. It should be fun, hopefully the board will fall right and we'll be able to get the guys we want.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1o4qd4p9 said:
pehawk":1o4qd4p9 said:
EmDiggy":1o4qd4p9 said:

Yeah see that.

We have 2 UFAs to replace the 2 we lost or are still missing (Jones and Branch). Avril could technically be replacing Leroy Hill. I'd have to think that Howard, Scruggs and McDonald would be candidates for some competition.

Avril @ WLB, That's highly unlikely. Under no circumstances can I see that happening.