Matt Barkley is the best QB in this draft

ivotuk

Reaction score
It always amazes me how the draft elite fluctuate in their talent evaluations and how that fluctuation can be predicted based solely on events and time of the year. With events like end of season stats, the combine and especially the dead zones in between, too much is made of everything not on tape.

Take Manti Teo's 4.81 40 for example. It was the end of the world for hiim! He was out of the first round! Then he runs a 4.7 something on his Pro Day and all of sudden, he's back in the top 15! *smh* Hell, even Tim Ruskell knew better than to place too much emphasis on 40 time, why else would he have drafted Lofa Tatupu who ran a glacial 4.83?

With Barkley you just have to go back to what he did during the regular season, and especially at those teams when he wasn't trying to carry the team by himself. I would place a lot of emphasis on his play prior to Lane Kiffin really settling in too. But for some reason, people have dropped him out of the first round and some have even put him below the likes of Glennon, Nassib and Manuel. None of those 3, imaho are starting caliber QBs. Geno Smith barely is, but Matt Barkley is definitely a starting QB and will have a career similar to, but exceeding that of the Red Rifle.

I'm curious as to what other here have to think of Barkley's future. :snack:

aawolf

Reaction score
Personally, from the limitted times I've seen him play, I think he compares more to Mark Sanchez than to Andrew Luck.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I thnk he'll be a starter in the league but I dont think he'll be a star. He'll be in the Matt Schuab, Sam Bradford type range, imo.

Really weak draft for QB's, imo. Actually probably not weak, as much as its just typical. We got spoiled last year.

Subzero717

Reaction score
He may or may not end up being the best QB. I don't know for sure. What I think is that if Geno Smith ends up in a great situation he has a higher ceiling than Barkley. Barkley can be a Jim Harbaugh coached Alex Smith. Not too shabby.

Word from his pro day was it was "okay."

cdallan

Reaction score
JSeahawks":vfijp222 said:
I thnk he'll be a starter in the league but I dont think he'll be a star. He'll be in the Matt Schuab, Sam Bradford type range, imo.

Really weak draft for QB's, imo. Actually probably not weak, as much as its just typical. We got spoiled last year.

Given the new rookie pay scale, nothing wrong with getting that production from a high first rounder. Texans had to give up a high trade pick to Atlanta for Schaub IIRC

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2b98fjif said:

Ya, the second part. 2013 may not be as good as 2012 was (purely in retrospect), but it's better than 2011, WAY better than 2010, and WAY better than 2009. It's not far behind 2008, and WAY better than 2007.

Compared to the last 10+ years, I'd rate the QB class this year in the 70th or 80th percentile, personally. IMO, Barkley is a shade behind Matt Ryan as a prospect, and Geno Smith has some similarities to Jay Cutler. I think Matt Scott could be really good in the right kind of environment. I see "Flacco career" potential in most of the 2nd tier guys (Glennon, Nassib, etc). Potential being the key word.

Then again, remember that I'm the guy who always thought Barkley was just barely ahead of Andrew Luck. I really value mental quickness, intangibles, and QBs who deal with and survive adversity. Barkley's job was much tougher than Luck's for various reasons, and while he doesn't have Luck's toolkit he made up for it by working on the little things and being a technician at QB.

So in fairness I like this QB group more than most do, and that colors my opinion.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Matt doesn't have outstanding arm talent or athletic ability (good, but not great), so that will limit him somewhat. If he's in a more west coast type of offense, he should do fine. He's definitely got the leadership and mind for the game.

HawkWow

Reaction score
IF I had to choose between spending a 1st on Matt Barkley or a 3rd on Matt Flynn, I'd take Flynn and use my 1st on Robert Woods.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that preparation and mental acuity are equally as important as the cannon for an arm, so I think he'll do quite well for himself *IF* he lands on a team that can afford him good (or even decent) O-line protection.