I have a new man-crush at QB... in 2014/2015

kearly

Reaction score
Bo Wallace.

I was doing a writeup on Bennie Logan earlier tonight and when I was reviewing the Ole Miss game Bo Wallace stood out in a big way. He has excellent athleticism/speed/mobility, good rushing instincts, very good arm talent and he executes the little things like rollouts, throwing mechanics, footwork, and selling fakes well. Other than a couple ugly over-throws (Wilson had plenty of those too) he looked pretty accurate, and it turns out he completed 64% of his passes last season playing in the SEC. I think what really sold me though was watching his head turn on his reads- the guy is a natural at checking progressions. His reads are quick and clean- they have an "emphatic" quality to them. He looks like a seasoned NFL pro in this regard and it was just his first season starting.

On the downside, he did throw 17 picks to just 22 touchdowns last year, and he kind of physically looks like Blaine Gabbert, which is never a good thing. In interviews he seems low-key, and doesn't burst with charisma. He has some ball placement issues and (in this video) he had a pick on a play where he trusted his arm too much. Then again, Wallace was a first year starter in the SEC with two years to go. He's not a finished product, but in terms of the rarer traits, he's already got them. He's a natural point guard QB with read option experience.

Right now, he kind of has the look of a future 4th or 5th round pick, but he's already showing a lot of the base skills to excel in Seattle's system. He really lights up JS's QB criteria too. Wouldn't be shocked if he was a future Hawk.

Wish there was a better video available but since there isn't, I'll just link the Benny Logan compilation.

[youtube]gpLIcE5cqtY[/youtube]

NYCoug

Reaction score
That's pretty funny kearly, I thought the same thing too when I was watching this video trying to learn more about Bennie Logan. I saw that read-option keeper that he took to the house and thought, this dude at QB for Ole Miss is deceptively quick and seems pretty tough!

The overthrows are pretty ugly, but if you'll notice they only happened at the beginning of the game. Probably just getting settled in at Death Valley, after all, he was only a 1st year starter so those tough SEC environments might take some time to get used to.

Overall though, I like his ability to extend plays with his legs and still keep his eyes focused down field to connect with his receiver. Also, on a few of those passes he put a lot of mustard on them and shows a pretty live arm. Yeah, he made a few ill-advised throws that got picked or could have ended up picked but like you say, lot's to like about the first year starter.

Good call dude.

pehawk

Reaction score
Dude's R..A to the W. But I can see why he drew your attention.

Looks to me like he has all the skills you'd ever want, just needs some footwork help, to avoid overthrowing WIDE OPEN WR's for 6. Has some wheels.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Yeah, his footwork is kind of hit and miss. He can be flatfooted at times.

Sac

Reaction score
pugs1":3uwn4dph said:
Since you guys are checking out Ole Miss keep an eye on #12 WR Donte Moncrief. That dude is a beast!

He'll be a 5th round pick this time next year.

CFraychineaud

Reaction score
if we ended up drafting him and he found a way to get the #15 jersey, all those Seneca Wallace fans that bought jerseys could bring them out again... just sayin...

pugs1

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2mkcva1v said:
pugs1":2mkcva1v said:
Since you guys are checking out Ole Miss keep an eye on #12 WR Donte Moncrief. That dude is a beast!

He'll be a 5th round pick this time next year.

Donte had a big sophomore season this past year ( 66/979/10 ) if he builds on that I guess he could enter the draft early.

Latest posts