Which teams are actually interested in drafting a QB early?

kearly

Reaction score
I thought this might be fun. In the top 10 picks, which teams are genuinely not interested in drafting a QB and which ones are blowing smoke?

Kansas City:

They invested BIG in Alex Smith and it appears he's their guy. If Smith does pan out, he could have many good seasons ahead of him, so drafting a QB early wouldn't make sense.

Verdict: Not interested.

Jacksonville:

Their sudden interest in Geno Smith does feel like it's all for show, doesn't it? I would argue that drafting Barkley or Smith would be wise, but so is tricking teams into trading up for tons of picks in a crazy deep draft.

Verdict: Not interested, but that might prove a mistake down the road.

Oakland:

Oakland has kept pretty quiet and their needs match the alternative options. Barring another team making a surprise move to #1 overall, Oakland will probably have a shot at a top QB without moving. Then again, Oakland knows they are going to suck for a while, and next year's QB group is looking very good (Bridgewater, Boyd, possibly Manziel).

Verdict: Interested, but keeping options open.

Philly:

I think Chip Kelly would make good use of Geno Smith, but I don't think he'd trade up for him. I think he'd have to because Smith will probably go top 3. Philly needs a tackle pretty badly and there is some phenomenal OL talent at the top of this draft.

Verdict: Not interested, probably

Detroit:

Has Matt Stafford.

Verdict: Not interested.

Cleveland:

Few have linked Cleveland to the top quarterbacks, but might that be a mistake? The new regime has already stated that they don't view Weeden as their long term starter. Cleveland does not have a 2nd round pick, so if they want to draft a quarterback this year, it might have to be here. If Matt Barkley reaches this pick, do they pass?

Verdict: Very good chance they are.

Arizona:

From Kenneth Arthur today:

"I have all the confidence in the world with him being our starter." - Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach, on free agent quarterback Drew Stanton. I want to say "truer words have never been spoken" but I think it would be more appropriate to just say "It's true that words were spoken."

Stanton, who turns 29 in May, has made four career starts in five years, all with the Lions, the last coming in 2010. He is 104-for-187 with five touchdowns and nine interceptions overall.

Arizona is trying too hard. I know they are screwed in 2013 no matter what, but Stanton is clearly not the answer, and their working overtime to express that absurd view strikes me as a laughably bad attempt to cover their tracks. They do need OL help too though, and this is a lights out group early. That might be enough to make them pass on a quarterback, but like Jacksonville, is taking such a stance truly the right one?

Verdict: Definitely interested, but might take a tackle in round 1 anyway.

Buffalo:

Buddy Nix has already said he wants to trade up for a quarterback. My guess is that he strikes a deal with Jacksonville.

Verdict: Obvious interest.

Jets:

As horrible as Mark Sanchez was last year, Rex Ryan probably doesn't want to wager his job on a rookie. The team brought in David Garrard and was kicking the tires on Kevin Kolb last week. The Jets would be wise to take Matt Barkley if he falls to them, but I don't think that happens, and I have a hunch that they won't trade up for him.

Verdict: Probably some interest, but I doubt it's in the cards.

Titans:

The Titans are probably one more bad year away from a house cleaning. Unfortunately for all involved, that bad year is pretty likely to happen unless the team can get production and health out of Jake Locker without further delay. I think they go all in on Locker and try to help him out in the draft.

Verdict: No interest.

Officially, I'd guess that Buffalo takes Smith #2 overall after moving up, and Cleveland takes Barkley at #6 overall unless the Cardinals move up for him, which I don't think they would. The only other team I could see trading up to #5 for Barkley might be Dallas- Jerry Jones is daring enough- but I'd give that a very small chance of happening as it would cost a lot and Tony Romo still has a few decent years left, enough to afford the team waiting a year, at least.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Great breakdown!

Hard to argue against any if that, but if I had to guess, it'll be Arizona trading up to #2 or #3 to draft their QB.

The hard one to figure out is Cleveland and how much they like Barkley vs Weeden.

Sac

Reaction score
kearly":dorq9vh2 said:
Jacksonville:

Their sudden interest in Geno Smith does feel like it's all for show, doesn't it? I would argue that drafting Barkley or Smith would be wise, but so is tricking teams into trading up for tons of picks in a crazy deep draft.

Verdict: Not interested, but that might prove a mistake down the road.

I think their sudden interest is more of a smoke screen. I'm guessing they're trying to drive down the trade price for Flynn.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":30mjb4ig said:
I think their sudden interest is more of a smoke screen. I'm guessing they're trying to drive down the trade price for Flynn.

That is an interesting take on it. If Flynn does get traded, I'm thinking the Jets and Raiders are still the most likely. The Raiders should probably just draft a QB, but they need interior help pretty bad and if they are as hyped on Floyd as most are, they might not be able to help themselves. If I was their GM, I'd take Barkley/Smith. But if for some reason I didn't, I'd be on the phone trying to get Flynn. He really fits what they want to do installing a pure WCO.

Jets make some sense too since nobody really considers David Garrard a serious threat to start, and Sanchez looks like damaged goods. Rex Ryan is fighting for his job. If sending a 4th/5th round pick for Flynn might save your job, wouldn't you do it? Plus you have the Idzik-Schneider connection.

I wouldn't rule out Jacksonville but my guess is that they wouldn't trade for Flynn until after they've traded down from #2 and selected their pass rusher. The extra picks from that trade would make it feel like they got Flynn for free.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
How loaded is next years draft. Bridgewater, Boyd, Manziel, and even Aaron Murray could slip into the 1st/2nd round. Add in the fact Clowney goes #1 overall.

Are the Raiders good with Pryor?

Zona, Buffalo and Jags are the teams I see interested. I think Cleveland and Philly want to see what they have already first. If it doesn't work out next year they take one of the chosen ones.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The real reason the Raiders don't want to take Smith is that their coach is on the hot seat. No coach who needs to win now wants to go to war with a rookie.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":26a8dsut said:
The real reason the Raiders don't want to take Smith is that their coach is on the hot seat. No coach who needs to win now wants to go to war with a rookie.

I'm not sure how much say the coach will get on that...

The problem Oakland has is their roster is hideous. They have to be big favourites for the #1 pick next year. They have no building blocks. At least none I can think of. So they need to decide whether they start at point one (a quarterback) or if they just start assembling players to build a structure.

Big thing in play here could be what seems to be an unstable front office situation (still). An owner who doesn't really know what he's doing. Guys from the Al Davis' regime still involved, McKenzie trying to do his best despite having no picks in the first two days of the draft last year. That's the biggest rebuild in the NFL in years. They're at legit expansion franchise level. Wonder if they get the time to sort it. But drafting a QB early is one of the few things they can do to generate a bit of interest. Good luck to the rookie he lands in Oakland.

FWIW I think Buffalo will trade with Jacksonville to get Geno Smith anyway and then Oakland probably gets a defensive piece instead (Jordan?). But I could see them going after a QB in round three for sure. Carson Palmer is very expensive and has no shot to do anything there. They're almost better off letting him move on, drawing a line and accepting it's top-three pick time again next year. On the plus side, they could have Jadeveon Clowney and Dion Jordan as edge rushers in 12 months time.

Buffalo - Smith
Jacksonville - Barkley (Carroll influence...)
Arizona - Glennon
Philly - Manuel
Oakland - Bray
Nassib - IDK... maybe Houston end of round two?

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3bqf2kgt said:
You don't think they'd just take Jordan at #2?

I personally think that Jordan, Ansah, and Mingo are all sure-fire busts as 4-3 ends, but for those who like those options, you could move down to #8 and still get one of them. Buffalo only has 6 picks this year and might have to offer future picks. Jacksonville needs a lot of help, they'd be a little crazy not to consider a trade down- which I'm 99% sure is the reason behind all their showmanship for Smith.

I don't know how long you'll keep that avatar, but it is amazing. Thank you.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":11tg2mu0 said:
Scottemojo":11tg2mu0 said:

I'm not sure how much say the coach will get on that...

The problem Oakland has is their roster is hideous. They have to be big favourites for the #1 pick next year. They have no building blocks. At least none I can think of. So they need to decide whether they start at point one (a quarterback) or if they just start assembling players to build a structure.

Big thing in play here could be what seems to be an unstable front office situation (still). An owner who doesn't really know what he's doing. Guys from the Al Davis' regime still involved, McKenzie trying to do his best despite having no picks in the first two days of the draft last year. That's the biggest rebuild in the NFL in years. They're at legit expansion franchise level. Wonder if they get the time to sort it. But drafting a QB early is one of the few things they can do to generate a bit of interest. Good luck to the rookie he lands in Oakland.

FWIW I think Buffalo will trade with Jacksonville to get Geno Smith anyway and then Oakland probably gets a defensive piece instead (Jordan?). But I could see them going after a QB in round three for sure. Carson Palmer is very expensive and has no shot to do anything there. They're almost better off letting him move on, drawing a line and accepting it's top-three pick time again next year. On the plus side, they could have Jadeveon Clowney and Dion Jordan as edge rushers in 12 months time.

Buffalo - Smith
Jacksonville - Barkley (Carroll influence...)
Arizona - Glennon
Philly - Manuel
Oakland - Bray
The GM might be on the very same seat, seeing as the concept of continuity seems as foreign to Davis JR as it did to papa. But yeah, McKenzie has some say there for now. He might want a QB.

pehawk

Reaction score
If the Raiders were to take Dion Jordan, then ill be convinced Al Davis lives. Yeah, yeah, Jordan is great in shorts, but dude just isn't a NFL player. I actually liked him better the first time he came out, when his name was Aaron Maybin.

EDIT: Just realized no one was talking about the Raiders taking Jordan. I'm going to make some coffee.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
pehawk":278reo9q said:
If the Raiders were to take Dion Jordan, then ill be convinced Al Davis lives. Yeah, yeah, Jordan is great in shorts, but dude just isn't a NFL player. I actually liked him better the first time he came out, when his name was Aaron Maybin.

EDIT: Just realized no one was talking about the Raiders taking Jordan. I'm going to make some coffee.

You are quite right though, Jordan at DE is very much a late career Al Davis type pick, and would probably have a similar outcome.

pehawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the save, kearly. I dont feel QUITE as bad. I try to only insert my random nonsense into awful threads.

ivotuk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2hrilfbz said:
Arizona - Glennon
Philly - Manuel
Oakland - Bray

I cracked up when I read Arizon - Glennon! I would love that and would laugh for all the years more that they sucked because they drafted Blaine Gabbert the 2nd! And of the other 3, I'd say that Manuel "sucks the least." I'm no expert here, but imaho, Barkley is the only QB in this draft with the talent to take a team to the playoffs. Everyone else is just flat out bad, or serviceable.

Hawks46

Reaction score
If I'm a GM, I'd go OL early, and play for a QB next year. I know some guys don't have that luxury, but that's why you have to sell it to your owner, and buy yourself another year.

I don't care what rookie goes to any of these bad teams, the ones with horrible OL's are only going to damage the guy, ala David Carr.

Latest posts