My Seahawk draft story

seabowl

Reaction score
I live in NY and started going to the draft in 1990 when it was held at the Marriott Marquis. My first year I arrived at around 6:30am and was 97th in line to get in. They had a contest where you would guess whom each team would pick in the 1st round. I submitted my form and went up into the rafters above the floor where the team tables/reps sat. I remember trying to get the attention of the Seahawk reps but they wouldn't give me the time of day. We ended up taking Tez which I was very very happy with. Later on in the draft, right before Dallas took Emmit Smith, Tagliabue got up to the microphone and announced my name as the winner of the contest. The winner by the way got 2 tickets to the following years Super Bowl (Giants/Bills). I was literally speechless. My friends went nuts and eventually I realized what happened and went to claim my prize. After I returned to my seat people were motioning to me to look down at the floor where the team reps were. It so happens that the Seahawk reps saw that I won the tickets and were motioning to me congratulations and giving me the thumbs up.

I will never forget that day and even just writing about it now brings back memories. Like the time me and Fireman Ed (tool Jets fan) had some words. I used to go to the draft every year but it has gotten so crazy there that I have not gone in about 7 years. I really miss those days though of going to see it live.

rjdriver

Reaction score
That's a super cool story seabowl, thanks for sharing. Probably crazy to see how far the draft has come since then.

Plus you got to see Norwood wide right. Not too shabby

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
rjdriver":ng33bcnm said:
That's a super cool story seabowl, thanks for sharing. Probably crazy to see how far the draft has come since then.

Plus you got to see Norwood wide right. Not too shabby

Actually 11th row in that end zone. BTW the draft at that time had seats for around only 500 people. I wish they would just have it at MSG to fit all the fans that want to go. They could charge $10 per ticket and give the proceeds to charity. Problem is that the NFL and cablevision the owner of MSG hate each other and that is why the draft is at Radip City. Freakin greed.

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm glad you got into it with Fireman Ed. I dont like loud and obnoxious types.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
pehawk":foae2uxc said:

Agreed, Fireman Ed seems like a douche.

It was pretty funny the Jets did so badly this season that he gave up going to the games hahaha

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":2q79sxje said:
pehawk":2q79sxje said:

It was pretty funny the Jets did so badly this season that he gave up going to the games hahaha

I believe the year was 1996 and I was online right in front of him to get in. I had some Seahawks gear on and he said out loud so many could hear something to the affect of "your a Seahawks fan, they suck". My response was "aren't the Jets picking first in today's draft?". We then sparred a few more times until he said to his clown friend "get me up on your shoulders" and he did the stupid J-E-T-S chant. I have a few more good stories involving me and Sapp, Jaws and Seahorn too. I also got interviewed by one of the Hawk papers right after we chose Galloway. I said i did not like the pick and wanted Sapp. Needless to say my quote never made it in any publication. Those were the days.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
seabowl":1em3jr87 said:
JGfromtheNW":1em3jr87 said:
pehawk":1em3jr87 said:

I believe the year was 1996 and I was online right in front of him to get in. I had some Seahawks gear on and he said out loud so many could hear something to the affect of "your a Seahawks fan, they suck". My response was "aren't the Jets picking first in today's draft?". We then sparred a few more times until he said to his clown friend "get me up on your shoulders" and he did the stupid J-E-T-S chant. I have a few more good stories involving me and Sapp, Jaws and Seahorn too. I also got interviewed by one of the Hawk papers right after we chose Galloway. I said i did not like the pick and wanted Sapp. Needless to say my quote never made it in any publication. Those were the days.

HA! What a tool.

The truth hurts and I'm sure he didn't like the fact they were picking first... Good on ya!

godawg

Reaction score
But how could we draft Sapp after he admitted that he had smoked the evil weed? As we all know now, he would never amount to anything. :sarcasm_off: