Proof that Ryan Nassib is probably screwed in the NFL

kearly

Reaction score
source:

Based on tape study, NFL Films' Greg Cosell stated on Path to the Draft Thursday that Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib is his No. 1-rated draft-eligible quarterback.

Cosell agrees with Russ Lande of the National Football Post, who also grades Nassib as this year's top signal caller. Cosell cited Geno Smith's "slow eyes" in terms of anticipation and "ball location" on intermediate to deep throws as reasons for concern. "My No. 1 quarterback based on the film study I've done is Ryan Nassib," Cosell said. "I liked him overall more than Geno Smith. I think he's a much more precise intermediate thrower. I think the ball comes out with a little better velocity at the intermediate level. And I think he's a little more accurate. And I like his footwork a little bit better."

:34853_doh:

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Is he that far off? I know I have Nassib as my #3 QB in this draft now, but there really not that large of a difference to me between him and Top 2. It wouldn't surprise me to see him end up the better play caller out of one of the other two QBs, and if he ends up going to a good team with pieces around him (where Barkley and Smith probably won't), he may end up with the better season year 1 of both of them, too, stats and wins-wise, assuming he's drafted early round 2 to as early as #8 to Buffalo round 1 and is the Day 1 starter. (I like Jacksonville as a fit, early 2nd).

There's a lot to like in Nassib and how he plays. Strong, pocket QB with decent moblility, solid mechanics and feet work and I believe was running an NFL offense under Marrone at Syracuse. Plus, appears to check every box in character and leadership.

Last year, a lot of people were shocked at how high Tannehill ended up going, even though they shouldn't have been. Nassib reminds me of him in a lot of ways in this draft process; a really solid QB people overlook for whatever reason, end up getting drafted early than people expect, and plays better than most expect.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Part of the awesome evaluations Nassib gets is the impending feeling he is going 8th to the Bills.

sc85sis

Reaction score
When USC played Syracuse I thought Nassib could be really good IF he'd ever learn to stop trying to throw every pass like a laser.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Throw this on the pile with Ryan Lindley having the best arm talent in the 2012 draft, another Cossell classic.

FWIW - he was in fine form on the NFL Network for that piece. "The issue with Geno Smith is - how I call it - the counter attack timing throw to the left manipulation zone. He's not seeing receivers in the intermediate attack area of the 20-yard cleaning swipe. That is why I think Nassib is better."

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3b2ohqo3 said:
FWIW - he was in fine form on the NFL Network for that piece. "The issue with Geno Smith is - how I call it - the counter attack timing throw to the left manipulation zone. He's not seeing receivers in the intermediate attack area of the 20-yard cleaning swipe. That is why I think Nassib is better."

Clearly he's still waiting for his transport back to Remulak.

Sac

Reaction score
Barkley is still better than all those other guys. Buffalo will trade up past Arizona for him too.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":3vf6or8w said:
Is he that far off? I know I have Nassib as my #3 QB in this draft now, but there really not that large of a difference to me between him and Top 2.

He's my #7. I think there is a fairly large gap between Barkley/Smith and the rest. Nassib's solid, and worth a 2nd round pick. His game reminds me a lot of Matt Cassel. I think his mobility is a lot better than his 40 time would indicate. It's comparatively a pretty good year for QBs early on, not sure what all the hate is all about. I think it's because of stupid people wanting to look smart by going against the grain, and it ironically became the new groupthink.

Based on my evaluations, my QB order right now would probably be this:

1st round: Matt Barkley (in a soft landing spot that runs WCO. Very similar to Matt Ryan, but with slightly less arm strength and with better intangibles)
1st round: Geno Smith (deserves to go top 5, the critics are making mountains out of molehills)

-
Huge gap
-

2nd round: Matt Scott (extremely good short space mobility, arm talent, and is a "natural QB" suppressed by Rich-Rod's scheme. At his best, I get Aaron Rodgers vibes; I think that's why you hear the RW comparisons.)
2nd round: EJ Manuel (if used like Colin Kaepernick on a good team. Eagles make a lot of sense)
2nd round: Mike Glennon (not a great leader/intangibles guy but is a well rounded prospect)
2nd round: Tyler Wilson (small hands do not show up on tape as a problem)
2nd round: Ryan Nassib (Wilson, Nassib, Glennon very close)

-
Huge gap
-

BJ Daniels (UDFA, but doesn't deserve it)
Jordan Rodgers (really like what little I've seen)
Colby Cameron (Ryan Nassib with bad mechanics and less bulk for taking hits)
Tyler Bray (I get Andy Dalton vibes, but Dalton was a better prospect)
Landry Jones (it's too bad he sucks, good size and arm)
Zac Dysert (most over-rated QB in the draft, IMO)
Collin Klein (if you can fix his velocity problem, he could be a decent read option backup)

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Thing I remember most about Nassib was a big game for Syracuse last year (I can't remember the opponent) and I watched it purely to check on his performance. And Cuse had the ball three times to start and didn't attempt one pass, including a couple of middling drives.

They were taking the game out of his hands. That stuck in my memory.

He's got zero touch, just a fast ball over the middle. Very prone to WTF decisions (eg, falling down for a sack but still throws just as knee is about to hit the floor and it ends up being a pick instead). Plus mobility but never looks that comfortable on the run. Accuracy very hit and miss. Seen him make some throws that get you out of your seat, also seen him look out of his depth (vs USC). He comes across moody and distant in press conferences. I'm not sure where the hype is coming from.

I think it'll say it all when Buffalo passes and goes in a different direction.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I think Ryan Nassib is one of the reasons why Buddy Nix isn't being subtle about his desire to move up for a QB.

Not that it would happen, but how awesome would it be if we got Mike Glennon in round 4? The QB that forced Russell Wilson out of NC State becomes his backup in the NFL.

theENGLISHseahawk":2c6e522h said:

That is pretty incredible. Cosell actually managed to mix his greatest strength and greatest weakness into one statement.

FWIW, I respect Cosell and have learned a lot from him. That said, understanding X's and O's and understanding how to view prospects in an abstract manner are two very different skills, and Cosell is the poster child for that. He's brilliant, but he's not a "forest for the trees" guy. Scouting is like cooking or art- you can do well following a blueprint but the greatest separate themselves with their instincts.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":oyp9y1mi said:
Thing I remember most about Nassib was a big game for Syracuse last year (I can't remember the opponent) and I watched it purely to check on his performance. And Cuse had the ball three times to start and didn't attempt one pass, including a couple of middling drives.

They were taking the game out of his hands. That stuck in my memory.

If it ever comes to you, I'd be curious as to what game that was so I can maybe find out what the circumstances were.

The reason I ask is because this thread got me going back and watching more videos on Nassib, and the first two games I watch, Missouri & Northwestern, he leads a 4th quarter TD drive comeback win over Missouri and two 4th quarter TD drives to take the lead over NW (which the defense than gives up). He seemed fully capable in those games when the game was in his hands, so I'm wondering if it was less Syracuse taking the ball out of his hands and more them playing situational ball.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Last year I was arguing Barkley would be better than Luck. I also though Joey Harringtonw as going to be great too. QB is one position I think I suck at evaluating. That said, I still think Barkley will end up the best from this class, he doesn't have the biggest arm or the most athletic skills, but he does have good character and intangibles. I could see him having a similar career to Matt Hasselbeck.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Wenhawk":11411nrx said:
Last year I was arguing Barkley would be better than Luck. I also though Joey Harringtonw as going to be great too. QB is one position I think I suck at evaluating. That said, I still think Barkley will end up the best from this class, he doesn't have the biggest arm or the most athletic skills, but he does have good character and intangibles. I could see him having a similar career to Matt Hasselbeck.

Its all good, I was actually THAT guy wanting Jimmy Clausen at #6 in 2010.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Nassib would make a great WCO QB. He has been my sleeper pick all off season