Interesting tidbit on last years trade with Eagles

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Jeff McLane @Jeff_McLane
Interesting, Howie Roseman revealed today that the trade-up for Fletcher Cox last year was completed a day before the draft.
Until now, I've always considered Luke Kuechly to be a strong consideration at #12 if he was there and that they decided to trade down when he went to Carolina instead, but after hearing this bit of news I think Bruce Irvin was the #1 choice all along. Of course it's possible our front office knew Kuechly was not lasting till 12, but I'm leaning towards John and Pete having a great draft understanding/planning and having Bruce #1 and MLB in the 2nd round almost exclusively.

Anyways, I thought I'd share.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
It may have been completed contingent upon a specific prospect dropping down. The general terms could easily have been agreed to pre draft. The working of that doesn't appear to have precluded opting out of a trade. Remember, we had a deal in place and ready to go in 2010, but scuttled the trade when Philly moved ahead of us and took Graham -- leaving Earl Thomas to us.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Good point Attyla. I suppose it may be common to have a couple of deals worked out ahead of time with other clubs. Depending on who's left on the board for those teams and the Seahawks, if both teams are good with it they make a trade.

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they have 'contingencies' in place to act on on draft day. Backroom deals probably happen all the time, we just never hear about any of them until the teams involved actually pull the trigger.