Robert Woods is the most underrated player in the 2013 draft

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Criminally under rated. Ready for the pro game day 1.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
It's funny how draft stock is so arbitrary, one season ago Jarvis Jones, Matt Barkley, and Robert Woods might of been 1/2/3 in the draft and now if Seattle stayed in the first round at 25, they would have a decent chance of drafting any of them. All might fall into the 2nd round still, probably why the bust/boom phenomena exists. Kind of like college, sometimes guys are labeled 1 star recruits and thrive to top flight draft pick and others that are 5 star guys wash out completely.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Woods has become the forgotten man of the 2013 draft. Whoever gets him will be very lucky.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Not sure about being the most, but I agree he deserves more attention than he's getting. I guess that's what happens in a deep WR class.

OT thought, but there's going to be some great players out of this group. It's almost too bad we don't have much need for WR anymore and won't draft one in round 1-2 (most likely). There were a few I really liked.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I can't think of another player that has been so tragically ignored as this.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I would love it if Woods ended up with the Hawks. I still want a WR to be drafted, maybe even 2.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Sounds like the stuff I heard about Brian Robiske. Woods was the man though until USC decided to force feed Maquis Lee last year. Can't say I blame them too much though I guess

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
He seems like one of those guys people know is great, but he just doesn't draw much discussion. I've still seen him mocked a lot as an early-2nd round pick, some have him later 2nd, some have him late-1st, so people do like him. It's just a deep WR draft. Any other year he's getting more hype.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Who would be the most over-rated or over-hyped guy you think. I keep coming back to Tyrann Mathieu, every day someone says we need to draft this guy but the character concerns aside, is he really that much of a NFL prospect to begin with?

kearly

Reaction score
Honestly, I haven't even broke him down yet. Once I heard the story about his wanting to leave USC because of a decrease in targets, that made me wary about how he'd fit in an offense where he might get 3-5 targets a game. Course, maybe he just wanted out because the lack of targets was hurting his draft stock? Either way, I want unselfish receivers and tight ends, and I'm pretty sure that's a high priority for Pete as well.

FWIW, I wouldn't rule out Woods being a Seahawk. He ran a 4.51 and has moves after the catch. Obviously, Pete Carroll would be familiar with him.

My most underrated player threw the passes Robert Woods caught.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Before Marquise Lee came along I remember Woods being talked about as a future top 5 pick.

I don't mind him complaining about touches because I don't think it was really a normal situation down there at USC. This is just conjecture on my part but it seemed to me like after they lost a game or two and the championship was out of the question that Kiffin was basically playing to win Lee the Heisman. Seems like the play calling and Barkley's decisions were at times to pad stats for Lee to the detriment of the rest of the offense.

I'd be pretty happy wtih Woods.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":3nak1vjr said:
Honestly, I haven't even broke him down yet. Once I heard the story about his wanting to leave USC because of a decrease in targets, that made me wary about how he'd fit in an offense where he might get 3-5 targets a game. Course, maybe he just wanted out because the lack of targets was hurting his draft stock? Either way, I want unselfish receivers and tight ends, and I'm pretty sure that's a high priority for Pete as well.

FWIW, I wouldn't rule out Woods being a Seahawk. He ran a 4.51 and has moves after the catch. Obviously, Pete Carroll would be familiar with him.

My most underrated player threw the passes Robert Woods caught.

You might be a bit too harsh on Woods, kip. If it was a situation like J said it might be, with the USC offense force feeding The ball to Lee at detriment to the team, I thi k he was right to point out his lack of targets as a reason for leaving early. Parts of me think J is right on this.

sc85sis

Reaction score
For what it's worth, that quote was taken out of context and Robert tweeted the guy afterwards saying something like, "you know that's not what I meant but thanks for making me seem like an ass."

kearly

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1pvnz7yd said:
You might be a bit too harsh on Woods, kip.

I was being harsh? I have nothing against Woods. I was just wondering if Pete might for reasons stated.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I don't think he fits the #1 WR role similar to DeAndre Hopkins and Marcus Wheaton. Guys like Patterson, Allen, Hunter, and Austin will be drafted ahead of him because of their upside. He is not talked about at all though and if we did draft him I could see him as a decent upgrade over Golden Tate. He is much more polished route runner and has better size. He has made big catches in big games and looks to be pro ready just limited to being a very good #2 WR in the league if he perfects his craft.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":37hnmlyy said:
Recon_Hawk":37hnmlyy said:
You might be a bit too harsh on Woods, kip.

I was being harsh? I have nothing against Woods. I was just wondering if Pete might for reasons stated.
It just seems you don't like him much based on a couple of things he said that may have been taken out if context or overblown. Not worth avoiding his tape over.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1vk84xjo said:
I don't think he fits the #1 WR role similar to DeAndre Hopkins and Marcus Wheaton. Guys like Patterson, Allen, Hunter, and Austin will be drafted ahead of him because of their upside. He is not talked about at all though and if we did draft him I could see him as a decent upgrade over Golden Tate. He is much more polished route runner and has better size. He has made big catches in big games and looks to be pro ready just limited to being a very good #2 WR in the league if he perfects his craft.

One of my best friends is a die hard USC Fan (he's as much of a die hard USC fan ... as we are die hard Seahawk fans). Anyway, I had this conversation several months back regarding his assessment of Robert Woods and honestly, he was fairly underwhelmed by him. Well, that may not be completely fair. Let me just say that he didn't exactly gush over him -- that he considered Robert Woods an OK receiver. These were about the exact same terms he described them to me -- good size, decent speed, pretty polished, and can make the difficult (or clutch) catch at times. He wasn't willing to anoint him a #1 WR either -- more of a #2 (which isn't necessarily bad). Teams need the Alvin Harpers of the world just as well.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Pete recruited Woods. Robert is a fierce competitor and hard worker. He is good friends with Marqise Lee and they liked to compete with one another all the time. They were rivals and yet they weren't.

Yes, I think Robert was frustrated at times last season. So were USC fans. There were definitely times when Kiff and/or Matt forced the ball to Marqise in spite of Robert being open. Robert's comment wasn't a complaint as much as a statement of fact that he had done as much as he could at USC--basically saying he knew and understood that Lane wasn't going to force HIM the ball just to keep him from leaving. He also said good stuff about Kiffin that that reporter totally omitted.