Prediction: Seahawks go OL heavy in 2013 draft

billio155

Reaction score
I've been reading through the various mocks and they all have one thing in common: Seattle will invest heavily in D-linemen and linebackers in 2013. This trend is based on two things: One, JS and PC have been wildly quoted as to the depth of the D-line in this draft. And two, the Seahawks have, (had) a perceived need along their Defensive front. But Seattle went out and signed two of the best D-linemen in Free Agency.
PC and JS also looked over this draft and saw a lack of play-makers, so they went out and got one...Percy Harvin
When it comes to NFL front offices, actions speak much louder than words
So now what? They have eight draft picks and possibly one opening along the defensive front.
You could argue that Seattle biggest weakness, both in starters and in depth, is along the offensive line. Sure they managed to put together a workable line in 2012, in fact, they produced two Pro Bowlers. But the rest of the line is put together with a heavy dose of good coaching, overachievers and is a injury waiting to happen.
The 2013 draft class is the best O-line class to come out in over a decade, there are good players to be had in every round. Look for Seattle to take care of their biggest need by investing heavily in O-line talent. After all, do you really think they are going to trust the safety of their franchise savior with the likes of Breno Giacomini? Think again.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
We have a franchise left tackle, a pro-bowl center, a first round guard, and depth all across the line. The Seahawks have pumped more into their line the last few years than pretty much every team in the league. We have an elite running offense and pass protection wise we shut down a bevy of the league's best pass rushers (Peppers, Williams, Allen, Smith, Wake (and others). The only time we struggled were when teams sold out for the blitz and our rookie QB is still getting used to making that a big advantage. When you have 7 rushers vs 5 blockers, you don't win as an offensive line. As Wilson develops he'll learn how to combat and exploit that like all the top QB's. Teams will be scared to death to blitz against RW in the same way nobody blitzes Manning/Brady/Rodgers. It'll just take a little time to get there.

The concept that Breno Giacomini is somehow likely to be responsible for Wilson coming into harm is something I just don't understand. Go back and watch him vs Williams and Peppers 1v1 then come back and say he's going to get Wilson killed. He shut out Mario Williams. I repeat, he shut him out. He ended the season performing to an incredibly high standard. Once he got beyond the penalty issues, he flat out balled all year.

I can't name five right tackles in the NFL. Can anyone else? I don't know what people expect.

Will we draft an offensive lineman? Probably. I'd guess a swing G/T who can add to the overall depth. Will we make replacing Breno a priority and will we go OL heavy in the draft? No.

Biggest needs for this team remain DT and WILL -- the only two areas of the team we've actually lost starters (as of today) that haven't been replaced.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
People saw Giacomini struggle in September, stopped watching him around Halloween, and just assumed that there was no change after that. They were mistaken.

Subzero717

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2uvozt3e said:
People saw Giacomini struggle in September, stopped watching him around Halloween, and just assumed that there was no change after that. They were mistaken.

I disagree.

sutz

Reaction score
Heavily? Doubtful IMHO. I suspect, however, that they will snag 1 or 2 for depth and/or future considerations.

kearly

Reaction score
Given that Giacomini has a lot of penalties and his overall play is "upgradable", coupled with his and McQuistan's free agency status in 2014, the Jordan Mills rumor (Mills is a right tackle) makes sense. I do think it's a virtual lock that Giacomini remains the starter in 2014 though, and probably beyond that time if he signs a low cost extension.

We are stacked at guard and center though. I think we'll draft exactly one lineman, and it will be someone with very high upside at offensive tackle. If Menelik Watson falls into the 2nd or 3rd rounds, I'd keep an eye on him.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that they feel comfortable now just basically plugging any OL into this scheme. They feel that confident about the coaching and system. Alex Gibbs always said he felt he could coach anyone up to play his ZBS. I think they feel like they had to get a structure going to start with (Okung, Carpenter and then installing Unger) but now they're ready to roll.

The drafting and installation of Sweezy kind of backs that up. They just threw him in there, with mixed results. But they didn't shirk it. And I think we'll see more of that. Unless it's a flat out can't miss guy, I think they'll look for diamonds in the rough in the later rounds from now on and FA. I'm almost certain that barring injury they won't be pumping high picks into that OL anymore.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'm sure that they will draft an OL or two maybe not the first couple rounds though. I predict Jordan Mills in 4th or 5th round may be a target (as mentioned by Kearly earlier).

Breno is due to make $3.50 Million this year. Considering his play, it's too much. If I were the GM, I'd ask to restructure his contract. He's easily replaceable and there are many tough guys who don't commit stupid penalties out there.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2ubdfr8i said:
I'm sure that they will draft an OL or two maybe not the first couple rounds though. I predict Jordan Mills in 4th or 5th round may be a target (as mentioned by Kearly earlier).

Breno is due to make $3.50 Million this year. Considering his play, it's too much. If I were the GM, I'd ask to restructure his contract. He's easily replaceable and there are many tough guys who don't commit stupid penalties out there.

Jesus can we stop saying easily replaceable for O Lineman, or is everyone's memory that states this so short that they forget what our line looked like 2 to 3 yrs ago when our QB was getting killed, we couldn't run the ball. Or Petes first year here where we were signing everyone that was 6'4 and was close to 300 pounds just to put a body out there for the defense to run around.

travlinhawk

Reaction score
Wouldn't bother a bit if we drafted some o-lineman. Our future depends on keeping RW healthy in passing situations.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
travlinhawk":2rqr8tp2 said:
Wouldn't bother a bit if we drafted some o-lineman. Our future depends on keeping RW healthy in passing situations.

*CLICHE ALERT*

Our future depends on remaining a balanced and talented football team across the board.

GoHawks

Reaction score
Big reason for finding Breno's replacement is so that we can pay other key pieces

BFmf8zfCEAAlO6Y

cover-2

Reaction score
We are stocked fairly well on the offensive line, but if I had my way I would want Kent St (OT/OG) Brian Winters in the 3rd round and Virginia Tech (OT) Vinston Painter in the 5th or 6th round. Winters plays with mean streak and is a big bully kind of like Breno. Painter is highly underrated and has a ton of up side.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
This is a good year to go OL if one is looking for those. This draft has high quality and is extremely deep.

One has to assume that probably 2 of the following 4 guys are here on the short term: Moffitt, Carpenter, McQuistan and Giacomini. Age and contracts being the primary reason.

Seattle has been consistent at getting a DB, DL, LB and OL in every single draft. So I'd expect them to get one of each this year as well.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
Breno is in his final year, and Kyle Long or Menelik Watson I could see as a day 2 draft target (if they make it that far) for his replacement, given both are too raw to start for a year anyway.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
kearly":1z2naw3s said:
Given that Giacomini has a lot of penalties and his overall play is "upgradable", coupled with his and McQuistan's free agency status in 2014, the Jordan Mills rumor (Mills is a right tackle) makes sense. I do think it's a virtual lock that Giacomini remains the starter in 2014 though, and probably beyond that time if he signs a low cost extension.

We are stacked at guard and center though. I think we'll draft exactly one lineman, and it will be someone with very high upside at offensive tackle. If Menelik Watson falls into the 2nd or 3rd rounds, I'd keep an eye on him.

That would be a great get in the 2-3 round

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Harvin's salary is going to spike next year so I'd love to draft a cheap RT. As mentioned above Breno is solid but if we could pay our RT under a million it would really help balance our cap.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Giacomini could be a top RG. That's the only thing I would like to see happen, but I promise you that you don't want to lose Giacomini's nasty. He helps set the tone in the running game.