Do we draft a running back now?

Natethegreat

Reaction score
With Leon being let go I think we may look at a running back in the mid to late rounds this year. Anyone have any ideas who they like in those rounds or who the Seahawks might target?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I think we probably will somewhere along the way. Probably not in the first 3 rounds though. A few guys i like, who might be available when we get around to picking RB:

Johnathon Franklin, UCLA
Montee Ball, Wisconsin
Stephen Taylor, Stanford
Kniles Davis, Arkansas
Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina.

Or if we're looking for more of a scat back, 3rd down type:

Andre Ellington, Clemson
Kerwyn Williams, Utah St.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I bet they go more of a scat back type I have heard of Williams from Utah St. is he a punt/kick returner as well? Sorry I don't follow college ball a whole lot any more.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, Harvin plays RB, too. :)

Seriously, though, this is shaping up to be mostly a BPA type draft, and picking up an RB for developmental purposes is never a bad idea. So, yeah, I could see it.

JKent82

Reaction score
I have a weird feeling we're gonna take Lattimore. I just feel Pete would like that kind of thing.

Taking Kerwyn Williams would be pretty cool though. Match up him and Turbs.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Would love Barner. Might just be because he tortured USC for 2 years though

JSeahawks

Reaction score
purpleworld":2t3hle5r said:
kenjon barner would be awesome....

Kenjon Barner will not break a single tackle, or juke a single defender in his NFL career. He might run past a few but only if there's a nice hole or some open field.

Great kid though.

purpleworld

Reaction score
JSeahawks":154qi8u5 said:
purpleworld":154qi8u5 said:
kenjon barner would be awesome....

Kenjon Barner will not break a single tackle, or juke a single defender in his NFL career. He might run past a few but only if there's a nice hole or some open field.

Great kid though.

I'd take this guy's speed, quickness, and pass catching ability any day....not asking him to be Lynch and run someone over....it's about adding another dimension to the backfield that we don't currently have!

03/15/2013 - 2013 Oregon Pro Day: While the Ducks' top prospect didn't work out, their most productive player in 2012 -- running back Kenjon Barner -- certainly did, shaving time off of his 40-yard dash and three-cone drill and catching every pass thrown to him during positional drills.
After timing at 4.52-seconds at 5-09, 196 pounds at the Combine, Barner was clocked as fast as 4.38-seconds in the 40-yard dash according to a high-ranking scout present at Thursday's workout. He was similarly impressive in the three-cone, going from 4.20-seconds in the drill in Indianapolis to 4.10 in Eugene, according to the scout. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

kearly

Reaction score
I would think the Seahawks will either swing big on a potential bell-cow type (Marcus Lattimore, Knile Davis) or go for a player with as much versatility as possible (a RB/FB or a RB/WR/KR). I think Denard Robinson is a very likely target because he'd make an excellent 3rd down back and adds a ton of versatility- he might even develop into a Percy Harvin type receiver with time.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
purpleworld":2pb8yj9i said:
JSeahawks":2pb8yj9i said:

Great kid though.

I'd take this guy's speed, quickness, and pass catching ability any day....not asking him to be Lynch and run someone over....it's about adding another dimension to the backfield that we don't currently have!

I agree with you in theory. Just don't think Kenjon is that guy. He's fast running in a straight line. But he's not shifty. He won't make NFL players miss, and in the NFL everybody is fast and you have to be able to either make guys miss, or run over them.

I agree with Kearly, if we want a scat back, 3rd down type Denard Robinson is a much better option, or Kerwyn Williams.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I would love it if they took Knile Davis from Ark if he is there in the later rounds.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
I like the idea of Lonnie Pryor with the late 4th or early 5th spots. He's a hybrid FB/RB who would be good as a transition from Mike Rob, who is in the last year of his contract and is 30...

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I like Kerwynn Williams the best myself.

Versatile type that could learn a lot under Harvin, change of pace from the Lynch/Turbin styles, keep Tate off punt return duty, could end up being our poor man's Harvin, should he ever get injured.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Think of it another way. Last year we had Lynch, Turbin, Washington. Washington averaged LESS THAN 2 carries a game.

Then you add in M-Rob. IMO you can Bring in another tailback or you can use that extra roster spot (knowing Harvin is your #3 RB) and bring in an extra WR, H-back, or TE. I think the fact that Harvin is our #3 back it gives us a TON of roster flexibility

For instance last year WE had 12 roster spots with the skill positions.

3- RB's- Lynch, Turbin, Washington
1-FB- Robinson
3- TE's- Miller, McCoy, McGrath/other
5- WR's- Rice, Tate, Baldwin, Kearse, Butler/Martin/Edwards/ect.

In 2013 with Harvin you've got more options.

3- RB's- Lynch, Turbin, Harvin
1-FB- Robinson
3-TE's- Miller, McCoy, ???- this one could either be a H-back (Jordan Reed in Draft) or a traditional TE)
5- WR's- Rice, Tate, Baldwin, S.Williams, Kearse

This allows you to keep one more developing WR.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I don't have any names, but the position should be addressed instead of having to rely on Harvin and Turbin to carry the load if Lynch was injured for a game or whatever. I just don't figure Harvin to be the #3 running back in any capacity, regardless of the carries he gets, but more just a way of getting him a few extra touches a game.

I'd like to see one scat-back type rb with speed who can handle 10-15 carries a game if need be added to the 53-man roster (if only Lamar Miller was in this draft again), and then a big, bruiser type who we can stash on the practice squad and add him to the active roster on games as an injury fill-in.

Latest posts