My Sleeper DT pick - Jared Smith New Hampshire

ivotuk

Reaction score
He performed very well at the combine measuring out at 6'3" 33 1/2" arms, 302 lbs and 10 1/2" hands.

Jared ran a 5.08 in the 40, 28 reps at 225, 32.5" vertical, 115" (9'7") broad jump, 7.2 second 3-cone and a blazing 4.39 second 20 yard shuttle.

For comparison, Sharrif Floyd scored 4.92 - 40, (no lifts) 30" vertical, 106" (8'10") broad jump, 7.4 second 3-cone and a plodding 4.75 second 20 yard shuttle.

Some comments from a story on sbnation:

Smith earned his nickname for his surprising speed and agility within an outsized frame. He was a force during his senior season with the Wildcats, racking up a team-high 10 tackles for loss among his 40 stops, to go with four sacks, two forced fumbles and three blocked kicks.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/ ... ith-invite

Jared Smith, aka "Fat Rabbit's" stats:

Career Statistics
Year GP TKL TFL SACK
2008 RS - - -
2009 6 8 3.0 2.0
2010 12 38 7.5 4.0
2011 12 43 5.5 2.5
2012 11 40 10.0 4.0
Totals 41 129 25.5 12.5

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingR ... -Smith.php

And his nfl.com profile

STRENGTHS Hustling five-technique prospect who spends a lot of time on the other side of the line.
Continually works to the quarterback as long as the ball is in the pocket, also chases passers to the
sideline if needed. Comes off the snap hard and low, usually gets his arms extended quickly to gain
leverage

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ ... id=2540010

kearly

Reaction score
Nothing of youtube on him. Most of what I've read says he's a 7th/UDFA. Looked at his stats and they were pretty mediocre despite playing in the FCS. Athleticism pretty average. I doubt he'd make our roster.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I did notice Jared Smith in one of those draft prospect games (East-West Shrine game?) I think that was it. He played well getting into the backfield quickly. It made me wonder how well he could do surrounded by even better talent. There are some guys like this that I think would be worth a late round pick or as UDFA. Chris Jones of Bowling Green might be another. If those guys were game-planned against (double-teamed or otherwise avoided) playing for their schools... maybe they don't seem to have enough talent based on individual stats.

If the OP purpose was to highlight a potential sleeper prospect... I think you're point on with Jared Smith.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":5re9p3vy said:
I did notice Jared Smith in one of those draft prospect games (East-West Shrine game?) I think that was it. He played well getting into the backfield quickly. It made me wonder how well he could do surrounded by even better talent. There are some guys like this that I think would be worth a late round pick or as UDFA. Chris Jones of Bowling Green might be another. If those guys were game-planned against (double-teamed or otherwise avoided) playing for their schools... maybe they don't seem to have enough talent based on individual stats.

If the OP purpose was to highlight a potential sleeper prospect... I think you're point on with Jared Smith.

I hope it was that because I have it on DVR. Going to check now... :th2thumbs:

It was the Texas vs Nation game, need to find that. Going to rewatch the Shrine game though and the DL combine.