Matt Scott impresses coaches and scouts, draft stock rising

kearly

Reaction score
From Tony Pauline's Draftinsider.net:

March 7th: Nassib & Scott Impress NFL decision makers..

The strong armed signal caller delivered upwards of 85 passes and all but seven ended up complete. Three of his throws were dropped while a few were over thrown by Scott. Initially he was slated to throw 93 passes but when receiver Dan Buckner injured his hamstring during the forty and was unable to run routes, Scott scaled back from the original plan.

Everyone we spoke to mentioned how athletic and accurate Scott was all day. He accommodated both the NFL coaches on hand as well as a few former Arizona receivers who participated in the workout with the hopes of getting another shot in the league.

Scouts we spoke with also mentioned how personable Scott was and how he comes across as a leader and quality person. The inevitable comparisons to Russell Wilson are already being made, though on film we see a bit of Colin Kaepernick in his game.

The thought process during the workout was Scott had moved himself into the third round, something we posted earlier today. When the day was done a number of coaches were of the opinion Scott could actually sneak into the late part of round two.

Interesting to hear that Scott is now looking like a round 2 or round 3 player. I think in my earliest mocks I had us taking him in round 4, but later dropped him to round 7 because it appeared I was alone in my appreciation for his skill set and untapped talent. So far I'm glad I stuck to my guns with Matt Scott.

Of course, this is a shame as a Seahawks fan, because it pretty much guarantees he won't be a Seahawk. That said, I think he deserves this and I hope he goes to a team that will actually give him a chance to compete. It's been said that Jacksonville's QB coach is extremely high on Matt Scott as a prospect. I guess we'll see where he ends up.

And FWIW, I think Scott (on our team) would more closely resemble Wilson than Kaepernick. He can check through 3+ reads in a few seconds and was hands down the quickest QB at the combine (3-cone, shuttle, etc)- which I would have easily guessed based on his elusiveness on tape and ability to extend plays while keeping his eyes downfield. Read option type offenses are nice for putting up stats, but I kind of think the "2 seconds and throw or I'll bench you" mentality by coaches like Chip Kelly and Rich-rod really hurts a QB like Scott with the improvisational gifts he possesses. I think he'd be a sexy backup for us and a future trade chip, but it looks like it's officially a pipe dream now.

Even if you don't like Matt Scott, you have to admit that Seattle is going to have a really tough time pulling a read option QB out of this draft. EJ Manuel had a good senior bowl and a good combine, and you may recall that there was some "top 15" hype for Manuel a year ago from the scouting community (sound familiar?*). You watch Manuel and you know you are seeing the next Kaepernick. You don't think a lot of teams would like a Colin Kaepernick? Manuel will be a 1st rounder, you watch. And then Scott an early 3rd. And then... uh... Colin Klein? That might be your best remaining read-option prospect. Yeah, pretty bleak.

*Ryan Tannehill, for those not making the connection.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The good news is that I dont think Russell Wilson is a guy who's going to miss very many games in his career. Even though he's short he's built pretty solid. And even though he's a scrambling, running quarterback he's smart enough to avoid big hits. I mean, if you look back at last season i can only remember one or two big hits that he took.

I know it won't be very popular, but i'm hoping more and more that this is a guy we bring in and give a chance:

[youtube]Xk7EDQ_UBjw[/youtube]

p.s. How the hell did we watch TV before high def?

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Hey, I had Vince Young on my offseason plan post last year. I even had us trading a 7th to make sure we'd get him.

Obviously, I'd be fine with taking him now. I always thought he had an ego problem but maybe with his career on life support, maybe he's in the right state of mind to be a part of a team like ours. Similar to TO. I think if we take Young then Seattle has to be smart about it. They can't treat Young like he's Russell Wilson. They have to treat him like he's Colin Kaepernick.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Figure I might as well add this:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0a ... -NFL-draft

When asked which quarterback NFL reporter and former scout Daniel Jeremiah was hearing about when talking to NFL sources:

I keep hearing the same name over and over again, and it's not one you're hearing about in the media, and that's Matt Scott, the quarterback out of Arizona.

I'll be honest- I felt I was reaching a little bit on faith last year with Darron Thomas. I saw something "natural" within his game, and his production made me think that for a smart coach, he might turn into an interesting backup with the potential to be more. I was really high on Keith Price at the time, which has definitely changed since. Thomas reminded me of Price which was a good thing back then.

I never felt that way about Scott. I haven't wavered on him at all. He gave me those "Tom Brady" type vibes that Wilson gave me last year. Not saying he's a HOF lock or anything, but he has the talent to be really stinkin' good in the right situation. Probably the best direct comparison is Tony Romo. A little erratic, but extremely mobile in small spaces and can tear you a new one if he's not having a bad day. Romo doesn't have the injury issues though.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
We all have our skeleton in the closet, kip. Yours is Darron Thomas. A few dudes on here were way worse than that over Jimmy Clausen, remember? (Walter Cheripinsky will carry that cross to his grave)

Mine is Knowshon Moreno.

I hope you are right about Scott. The name alone makes him worth cheering for. I hope he has a kid and names him Scott. I am a little untrusting of people with no last name, but to be named Scott E. Scott would be dope.

12evanf

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1vi2dg3e said:
The good news is that I dont think Russell Wilson is a guy who's going to miss very many games in his career. Even though he's short he's built pretty solid. And even though he's a scrambling, running quarterback he's smart enough to avoid big hits. I mean, if you look back at last season i can only remember one or two big hits that he took.

I know it won't be very popular, but i'm hoping more and more that this is a guy we bring in and give a chance:

[youtube]Xk7EDQ_UBjw[/youtube]

p.s. How the hell did we watch TV before high def?

Seahawks already have experience catching his passes 8)

Seriously, I don't think this is a horrible option. He would come cheap and would, in theory, be a good fit.

travlinhawk

Reaction score
I lived in Austin during the same time frame he was QB. I remember telling my diehard Cowboys fan buddy that he looked like the real deal and I bet he would pass Vick in the NFL. He told me I was crazy and that he would still be too raw to run an NFL offense. My take is he has lots of natural talent but I don't necessarily think he was ever coached up right. I just don't think he ever reached his full potential for whatever reason.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1wjcg29w said:
We all have our skeleton in the closet, kip. Yours is Darron Thomas. A few dudes on here were way worse than that over Jimmy Clausen, remember? (Walter Cheripinsky will carry that cross to his grave)

Mine is Knowshon Moreno.

I was always a little wary of Moreno. Moves don't mean as much if you get tackled two yards after making a guy miss because you can't separate with speed. I didn't think he sucked, but his career so far in Denver has pretty much perfectly matched my expectation: decent, but highly replaceable.

I probably have worse skeletons in my draft closet than Darron Thomas. I never said he'd be a star. I said that he was cool to hate and massively underrated, but also that he'd probably be an NFL backup with some signs of being more. I thought he had a chance to be the next year's RG3 in terms of development alongside Geno Smith. Thomas made a colossal ****-up leaving early- had he stayed at Oregon and had another Darron Thomas type season, he'd probably be a 3rd or 4th round pick, minimum, in this draft, given his read option credentials.

My biggest draft skeletons are probably Derrick Morgan and Brian Price. I loved both of them. Morgan is too early to condemn, but he's not had a good start. When Price was released from Tampa Bay it came as a shock to fans as observers thought he was playing well, but then he didn't catch on anywhere else. Actually, the Cowboys signed him to a futures contract this winter, so he's still hanging on by a thread. Granted, injury/surgery appears to have played a role in Price's demise. When I was banned from fieldgulls by John Morgan, I had Brian Price as my avatar.

I was also cautiously optimistic about Jimmy Clausen. And I had Blaine Gabbert ahead of Cam Newton by a nose in 2011.

In fairness, I don't think I really started to figure this stuff out... in other words I don't think I really started clicking at this... until probably 2012. In 2010 I was still pretty new to evaluating and in 2011 I barely watched any tape. I had never even heard of James Carpernter- I think that says it all. I was probably overconfident in 2010, and felt unsure in 2011, but I felt like I killed it last year and am killing it more this year.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I loved Marvin Austin (NY Giants) but hated Derrick Morgan. I thought Aaron Curry was a great get :) And I thought Jimmy Clausen would be a good/average QB. My only claim to fame was I fell in love with Geno Atkins at the Senior Bowl. Of course I don't put in as much time as you guys do, but I do take a lot from what you write.

ivotuk

Reaction score
On the subject of Matt Scott, I remember watching him play last fall. He was near the goal line and had just done a bunch of running when he threw up, right through his face mask. It looked like cherry kool aid and while he looked tired and a little disoriented, as soon as he was done, he looked towards the sideline for the play call. It was bizarre because I know when I'm nauseous, I can't do anything, let alone function on a football field. Anyway, IIRC, he gets the play, pukes again, then throws a TD pass.

What I'm curious about is his medical history. Some people claim that it may be from concussions but the evidence seems to point to exhaustion, like when he runs really hard. I know that is a common reaction for some people when they overdo something, they throw up. From what I've read though, this is something that Matt Scott has dealt with for some time and it is of no risk to his health. Just a natural reaction for someone like him. Kind of like Percy Harvin's migraines. I wonder how his team mates deal with it? I'm sure it effects the opposing team's concentration level. :twisted:

I know one thing, when I get nauseous, I wish it was all that easy. Lean forward, let fly, and go back to what you were doing without another thought. Hell, a dog can eat a rotten dead animal covered with who knows what, puke it back up and go on about his business as if nothing untoward had happened. Maybe Matt Scott is an animal :D

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Interesting observations Ivotuk. I know for me I was in some of the best cardio shape of the linemen during conditioning drills in division II because I came from a high school team that had like 17 people on it (and played against big city schools). So I was well conditioned compared to the rest. Even still, I pretty much always threw up when those 5:30 AM conditioning days were completed. I think my body has a limit, and it never got over that limit even though I was one of the best performers in gym shorts. Makes me sympathize with all those poor souls who tried keeping up with Roger Clemens' workout regimen.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Needs to work on his technique. Shouldnt splatter so much on his face mask. Russell Wilson would do that shit and keep his uniform, helmet and face mask clean. This is why I feel he's a 3rd stringer at best. Although I do like qb's that wear the #10 (which was me in h.s.).

[youtube]WVKrpPMizQk[/youtube]

ivotuk

Reaction score
I've never done that kind of exercise and preparation. All my work outs were cardio to prepare for long, arduous hikes up and down mountains and across tundra with a heavy pack on. So I can only make educated guesses based on what I've read, mixed with a little of what I have experienced. I recently read an article about Justin Smith working out until he puked, and while I've gotten sick from overexertion, what I was doing was nothing like what you and other people who've prepped for sports have experienced.

I also heard an interview online yesterday with Bucky Brooks talking to Sylvester Williams. They mentioned how North Carolina had an early morning work out that was pretty hard on players and would weed out the weaker ones. Not sure I would have been up for that :D

Make no mistake, I would love to have Matt Scott as a Seahawk based on what I've seen of him, I just wonder if a team will try to address that or leave it alone. I did find an article from the game I watched but the video may be unpleasant to some.

http://deadspin.com/matt-scott-puke-video/

And an article concerning Matt Scott.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/ua/...ua-footballs-matt-scott-likely-give-hurl.html

Edit:

I listened to the Sylvester Williams interview with TuneIn radio app on my phone while I'm at the gym, works very well if anyone is looking for such a thing. Bucky Brooks used to work for the Seahawks and Carolina.

But here is the online link:

http://tunein.com/topic/?TopicId=45183873

Hawks46

Reaction score
I think everyone has that limit. I know in the Marines, they'd work us all out until someone puked.

Then they made the guy that puked do pushups over it. I don't care how tired you are, you don't fall in your own puke. You also don't want to be the first one to puke because you'll have to stare at it over pushups.

Only time I puked was in Virginia. We'd gone out drinking the night before. It was 99 degrees and 99% humidity at midnight. Next day, the 5 AM run was brutal. You can actually puke and keep running. If you're good enough at it, you don't hit yourself.

But I digress.....Kearly, what do you think about Uncle Pete giving Troy Smith a resurrection try ? I remember he was slated to be the starter, but got really sick and Flacco took over in camp and never looked back. 6 feet tall, had a good arm, seemed to progress through his reads well and was pretty athletic. I think he was one of those guys that never got a chance due to his height.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Hawks46":3jc2eywq said:
I think everyone has that limit. I know in the Marines, they'd work us all out until someone puked.

Then they made the guy that puked do pushups over it. I don't care how tired you are, you don't fall in your own puke. You also don't want to be the first one to puke because you'll have to stare at it over pushups.

Only time I puked was in Virginia. We'd gone out drinking the night before. It was 99 degrees and 99% humidity at midnight. Next day, the 5 AM run was brutal. You can actually puke and keep running. If you're good enough at it, you don't hit yourself.

But I digress.....Kearly, what do you think about Uncle Pete giving Troy Smith a resurrection try ? I remember he was slated to be the starter, but got really sick and Flacco took over in camp and never looked back. 6 feet tall, had a good arm, seemed to progress through his reads well and was pretty athletic. I think he was one of those guys that never got a chance due to his height.

I like Troy Smith as a Colin Kaepernick type project. That said, Jim Harbaugh released Troy Smith, so maybe not. I do think if we want a read option QB this offseason it's probably going to be an unsexy name like Troy Smith, Vince Young, Darron Thomas, Tim Tebow, etc.

I'd call up Indy and offer them a 7th plus Matt Flynn for Chandler Harnish. I doubt they'd say yes, but I'd at least try it.

BallHawk

Reaction score
Apparently Troy Smith is garnering some attention as well. He was throwing to the receivers at Ohio State's pro-day and was lighting it up according to NFL's Path to the Draft.

two dog

Reaction score
Damn, Damn and Damn. (that's from "My Fair Lady") When we first
started talking about Matt Scott, he was a 5th/6th rounder. Dadgummit.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Mel Kiper says he is now a 4th rounder. I think I read some where that some consider him a 3rd round value. My main concern with the guy is he didn't call plays in the huddle and it was obvious when I rewatched the Shrine Game the other day. He had to use time outs because he struggled to call plays. He threw some very pretty passes though, one was an over the shoulder dime.

I think his hype has gone over the top and we'll have to pass on him because the value just isn't there. Hopefully no one notices my favorite back up, Jordan Rogers :D

zifnab32

Reaction score
ivotuk":1ernhfh7 said:
On the subject of Matt Scott, I remember watching him play last fall. He was near the goal line and had just done a bunch of running when he threw up, right through his face mask. It looked like cherry kool aid and while he looked tired and a little disoriented, as soon as he was done, he looked towards the sideline for the play call. It was bizarre because I know when I'm nauseous, I can't do anything, let alone function on a football field. Anyway, IIRC, he gets the play, pukes again, then throws a TD pass.

That was a terrible decision by Arizona's coaching staff. Went down like this:

Scott rushed for ~10 yards and gets a knee directly to the helmet
Scott vomits everywhere
The announcers, along with everyone else with a brainstem, immediately goes 'oh no, concussion'
Scott doesn't even get checked out, and then rushes it again before throwing a TD
Scott continues vomiting everywhere
Scott finally gets checked, and is pulled from the game because he - duh - has a concussion

He then plays the next week before getting knocked out of that game due to another concussion