Justin Hunter SDB article

kearly

Reaction score
http://seahawksdraftblog.com/rumor-cast ... tin-hunter

I don't always link my stuff on here anymore, but I figured that this is a topic worth diving deeper into. I never heard Scott's take on this, and Rob basically gave the "pinch of salt" response. That said, after meditating on Seattle's actions last season, then scouting Hunter and weighing the alternatives, I'm starting to think there might actually be some fire with this smoke. We shall see.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
It's definitely reasonable to think Seattle would show interest in Hunt. Physically there's some potential there. I just think there's so much bad tape. This would be their biggest leap of faith first round pick so far IMO. Irvin had so much production and good tape on third downs. Okung was solid if unspectacular. Consistent. Thomas was explosive and Carpenter was far better than most people think. Watching Carp at Alabama, he was a monster. You don't start at left tackle for this Bama team if you're a bad player.

Hunter has maybe more athletic potential than any of those guys, but his tape is crappy. Big plays dropped. Contested passes lost. Not many explosive 'wow' plays during the season. And a bad injury already checked off to boot. 6-4 and 4.4 makes me think he could be an option. Yet if he'd run 4.5 I'd think 'no chance'... so how much does 0.1 seconds matter?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hunter is a gangly runner. He runs like RG III in tight quarters, his explosion isn't there when cutting in tight quarters and it gets him smashed. Not a natural hands catcher. makes big strides in his cuts, which kills his speed advantage. And when Hunter tries to put a shoulder into someone it is laughable. A wide receiver who can't, or won't, block is screwed in our system, and Hunter is kinda both. Especially if lined up in the slot like he was in college.

What bugs me most though is the body language. He had an inaccurate QB, but the one thing the highlight videos don't show is the team deflating bitch fits after the QB misses him. They are instant reactions.

Darius Heyward Bay is the first thought I had, not in playing style so much, but what an over reach getting him in the first would be. In fact, I would be more comfortable with signing Bey as a free agent than picking Hunter in the 2nd round. At least Bey isn't a big injury risk. Hunter's ACL was not a contact injury, and in fact was't even a cutting injury. He blew his ACL coming down from a leap. That is another big red flag.

Also, he declined to do the bench press at the combine. That shouldn't be a big deal, but if the biggest concern is his inability to put on bulk, he should have been in the weight room getting yoked for the combine, and instead he was intent on showing teams he is fast. They already knew that. They want to know if he can bulk up, and he declined to show them if he even tried to bulk up in the weight room. Considering how this last offseason Seattle made it a priority for Sidney Rice to put on 15 pounds, Hunter appearing to not be a weight room guy isn't a plus.

If it was a Seattle scout who leaked this, I see it as just draft talk. I agree that the athletics are right up Pete's alley, but Pete has always liked BIG fast receivers, and slim pickins from Tennessee isn't big. Just fast.

polarbill1999

Reaction score
Kearly/Scott/Rob,

How does Hunter compare to Marquess Wilson from the WSU? Are they similar players on the field?

I just don't see why we would take a guy like Hunter in the first when we could pick up Wilson in the 5th or later. Hunter might have more upside but by the description of Hunter, Wilson is a much more natural pass catcher.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3xru4zjf said:
Hunter is a gangly runner. He runs like RG III in tight quarters, his explosion isn't there when cutting in tight quarters and it gets him smashed. Not a natural hands catcher. makes big strides in his cuts, which kills his speed advantage. And when Hunter tries to put a shoulder into someone it is laughable. A wide receiver who can't, or won't, block is screwed in our system, and Hunter is kinda both. Especially if lined up in the slot like he was in college.

What bugs me most though is the body language. He had an inaccurate QB, but the one thing the highlight videos don't show is the team deflating bitch fits after the QB misses him. They are instant reactions.

Darius Heyward Bay is the first thought I had, not in playing style so much, but what an over reach getting him in the first would be. In fact, I would be more comfortable with signing Bey as a free agent than picking Hunter in the 2nd round. At least Bey isn't a big injury risk. Hunter's ACL was not a contact injury, and in fact was't even a cutting injury. He blew his ACL coming down from a leap. That is another big red flag.

Also, he declined to do the bench press at the combine. That shouldn't be a big deal, but if the biggest concern is his inability to put on bulk, he should have been in the weight room getting yoked for the combine, and instead he was intent on showing teams he is fast. They already knew that. They want to know if he can bulk up, and he declined to show them if he even tried to bulk up in the weight room. Considering how this last offseason Seattle made it a priority for Sidney Rice to put on 15 pounds, Hunter appearing to not be a weight room guy isn't a plus.

If it was a Seattle scout who leaked this, I see it as just draft talk. I agree that the athletics are right up Pete's alley, but Pete has always liked BIG fast receivers, and slim pickins from Tennessee isn't big. Just fast.

Terrific review. Hard to argue with any of it.

McGruff

Reaction score
Brandon Browner's looking pretty good with wonkier looking legs than Hunter.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
McGruff":188fkij5 said:
Has Browner ever blown one out? And do you have any reason to doubt Browner visits the weight room?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
polarbill1999":4w1sv3l6 said:
Kearly/Scott/Rob,

How does Hunter compare to Marquess Wilson from the WSU? Are they similar players on the field?

I just don't see why we would take a guy like Hunter in the first when we could pick up Wilson in the 5th or later. Hunter might have more upside but by the description of Hunter, Wilson is a much more natural pass catcher.

Similar frames, speed and level of inconsistency. Both upside types but wouldn't trust either to make me a play in a key game.

McGruff

Reaction score
Scottemojo":foz2cjq3 said:
McGruff":foz2cjq3 said:
Has Browner ever blown one out? And do you have any reason to doubt Browner visits the weight room?

I'm just saying watching the way a guys knees look on youtube videos is a Wierd scouting technique.

I know Hunter's knee is a concern, as is his overall thin build, but again, we're not talking Todd Pinkston or Alex Bannister. e's got good muscle tone and build. He's no thinner than randy Moss ever was.

In fact, I'd put his comparison at somewhere between Rice and Moss. That's the kind of receiver he is. He's not a YAC guy. in fact, his YAC decisions border between pedestrian and catastrophic. But his route running, speed, and ability to win the elevating battle make him a great fit for our offense and Russell Wilson.

McGruff

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2vb801b1 said:
polarbill1999":2vb801b1 said:
Kearly/Scott/Rob,

Similar frames, speed and level of inconsistency. Both upside types but wouldn't trust either to make me a play in a key game.

Similar but not the same. hunter is better in every area IMO, and his upside is much greater.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Don't we already have a much better version of Justin Hunter in Sidney Rice? I think they are gonna go for a tall WR who is big and physical as well. I love Mark Harrison's measurables. I am not sure how raw he is or what are the reasons behind his stock being a mid-late round pick but his physical attributes are comparable to Terrell Owens. I think we need to draft a guy like that instead of drafting a guy like Justin Hunter. That is why I am also okay with drafting a joker TE such a Chris Gragg.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
McGruff":3cp9lwi3 said:
Scottemojo":3cp9lwi3 said:
McGruff":3cp9lwi3 said:

I'm just saying watching the way a guys knees look on youtube videos is a Wierd scouting technique.

I know Hunter's knee is a concern, as is his overall thin build, but again, we're not talking Todd Pinkston or Alex Bannister. e's got good muscle tone and build. He's no thinner than randy Moss ever was.

In fact, I'd put his comparison at somewhere between Rice and Moss. That's the kind of receiver he is. He's not a YAC guy. in fact, his YAC decisions border between pedestrian and catastrophic. But his route running, speed, and ability to win the elevating battle make him a great fit for our offense and Russell Wilson.

I'm not a scout. I watched the guy and told you what I saw. He blew out his knee without being touched. I'd say it's important to figure out why.

Somewhere between Rice and Moss, huh? I guess we better trade up to first and get him. Wait a tic, those guys have really good hands.

McGruff

Reaction score
Wat I see with Hunter and his hands is that he has a tendency to spiral. He doesn't drop a lot of passes, but when he does, they come in bunches.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Seattle loves receivers that compete. Win 1v1's. Go up and get the football. There's not a great deal of tape out there showing Hunter can do that. In fact, when he's really challenged he often comes out second best. Being tall and fast doesn't make him an ideal fit for this team. And as noted here, his drops come in bunches. Doesn't exactly scream mental toughness does it? And that's what any receiver is going to need going forward now with RW under center.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I like Hopkins quite a bit more than Hunter. He doesn't have his size, but he ran a 4.52 at his pro day which is .08 s more than Hunter. He's 3 inches short, but aside from that he possess everything that Hunter doesn't have: Route running, agility, awareness, catches the ball away from his body,

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Pete Carroll have said this in a few different interviews that he wants to add a WR to this team that can match up with Russell Wilson's work ethic. We all need to focus on this and I believe that PC actually means every bit of it when he says that. He wants to bring in a guy that can stay out there with RW and compete as much as him. We are definitely not going to bring in a "talented headcase" in my opinion.

It's going to be some guy who wants to be great on and off the field. A guy who believes in studying the film as much as spending time in the weight room, etc.

Forgot to add: I am not saying Justin Hunter is a headcase haha It's just an another thing to look out for. Maybe, Hopkins is that guy? I have read that he loves studying the film.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":k83kaaqg said:
Pete Carroll have said this in a few different interviews that he wants to add a WR to this team that can match up with Russell Wilson's work ethic. We all need to focus on this and I believe that PC actually means every bit of it when he says that. He wants to bring in a guy that can stay out there with RW and compete as much as him. We are definitely not going to bring in a "talented headcase" in my opinion.

It's going to be some guy who wants to be great on and off the field. A guy who believes in studying the film as much as spending time in the weight room, etc.

Forgot to add: I am not saying Justin Hunter is a headcase haha It's just an another thing to look out for. Maybe, Hopkins is that guy? I have read that he loves studying the film.

Wilson's work ethic/film study is contagious. Look at Golden Tate pre Wilson...see Golden Tate now. Wilson has changed the expectations in the locker room....and people now follow.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Tall & fast are great qualities in a WR, however, said WR's still need to perform and actually catch the ball. Hunter, I rank as a round 3 pick that Seattle should ignore in the first 2 rounds. If he's there in round 3, I'd still scatch my head & look for a more "complete" WR or maybe draft a different position.

I think it's a common thought on this board that tall & fast WR's are preferred, this is because of the possible "jump ball" catches and red zone TD catches that many feel are only accomplished by tall and fast WR's. My contention is that "seperation" (getting open) is more important than physical height.

IMO, Steadman Bailey at 5-10 is FAR superior to ALL of the other top rated WR's in the category that is the most important -- TD's. Bailey's 25-TD's last year are easily 2 to 3 times more TD's than ANY other WR in this draft and to me, Bailey would be an excellent draft pick in round 2 (or 3) and would be capabile of starting immeadiately in year one. (A tall/fast/developmental WR in mid to later rounds I could support.) Please note: Bailey's 25-TD's are more than all of the Hawks WR's COMBINED last year. Many of the taller WR's in this draft are a bit like the cute girl that is really nice, pretty, and stacked, but doesn't really put out. And, the Seahawks really need to get a little.

IMO, a first round pick MUST be starter ready or at least nearly starter ready. The only exception I would make to that thought would be a developmental FREAK, that has the potential and upside to be a pro-bowl stud. Yes, Hunter is tall and fast, but to me he is still a "tater" that may take a couple years to get it, but only then IF he can stay healthy (which is QUESTIONABLE-IMO) with his bird legs and previous medical history. I'd take SUPER production & pass catching ability over WR's with just height and speed that have difficulty with getting open and making catches, especially in scoring TD catches. :49ersmall: