Stupid new NCAA rule regarding targeting defenseless player

JSeahawks

Reaction score
No longer a 15 yard penalty, but now an automatic ejection from the game. I'm somebody who doesnt mind personal fouls for this kind of stuff but this is just idiotic in my opinion. Officials better be damn sure that the player is purposely doing it with malicious intent before ejecting a player...

And if its done in the 2nd half they're ejected not just for that game but for the first half of the following game. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Gonna see a lot more signifigant knee injuries because guys are going to go extremely low on those defenseless receivers.

The Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved a new football rule that requires players who target and contact defenseless players above the shoulders to be ejected, effective for the 2013 season. The change increases the on-field penalty for targeting by adding the automatic ejection to the existing 15-yard penalty.

The new rule in football means that discipline for those players flagged for violations will mirror the penalty for fighting. If the foul occurs in the first half of a game, the player is ejected for the remainder of the game. If the foul occurs in the second half or overtime of a game, the player is ejected for the remainder of the game and the first half of the next contest.

In an effort to address concerns when one of these plays is erroneously called on the field, the ejection portion of the penalty will be reviewable through video replay. The replay official must have conclusive evidence that a player should not be ejected to overturn the call on the field.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect//pu ... 20football

Lady Talon

Reaction score
wonder how many teams won't be able to field a defense at various times during the year...

bigtrain21

Reaction score
That is ridiculous. The game happens too fast for these guys to make determinations. So if it was this way in the NFL, Kam Chancellor would have been ejected his hit on Vernon Davis when after everyone got to see it in slow motion it was determined to be a perfectly legal hit. I am actually in favor of their not being a penalty and for them to watch after the game to decide whether to suspend for the next game. I think that's the way to do it if they want to go down that road.

kearly

Reaction score
bigtrain21":3dks6r7e said:
That is ridiculous. The game happens too fast for these guys to make determinations. So if it was this way in the NFL, Kam Chancellor would have been ejected his hit on Vernon Davis when after everyone got to see it in slow motion it was determined to be a perfectly legal hit. I am actually in favor of their not being a penalty and for them to watch after the game to decide whether to suspend for the next game. I think that's the way to do it if they want to go down that road.

Ditto.

bigfatguy64

Reaction score
bigtrain21":285m5dcm said:

I believe they actually did make it that the ejection is immediately reviewable.

pehawk

Reaction score
Yes, the ejection is reviewable and must be approved by the another ref. I understand and appreciate the sentiment, but, its just too wonky and abstract a penalty to last more than a season.

sutz

Reaction score
Every time they get all hinky and try to determing "intent" they come up with idiocy. I heard a radio report the other day that a girl was taken out of a basketball game for suspected concussion, and the ruling was challenged because it was made by the opposing team's attending physician. It was high school, and the docs don't travel with the road team, supposedly, but that is almost automatically suspicious. Unfortunately, it was a playoff game and the team the girl was playing for lost and was out for the season. She just happened to be the high scorer and rebounder on the team and the opponents were accused of intentionally going to her head to trigger the ruling. Apparently, she was jumping around and cheering on the sidelines later in the game, with none of the lethargy or disorientation one would expect from a concussion victim.

These kinds of rules can have serious unplanned outcomes on the games.

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
The truly fatal error is trusting the competency of NCAA officials to make the right call on this...ever.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
CrimsonWazzu":27y5y97q said:
The truly fatal error is trusting the competency of NCAA officials to make the right call on this...ever.

Especially in the Pac 12. I think they hire the guys the NFL replacement refs laugh at.

chris98251

Reaction score
My issue is Refs are not suppose to be able to dictate the outcome of a game, they now have a tool to do just that, if someone gets to a ref now and pays them off you can remove defenders, gunners, or players during a turnover that can directly determine the outcome because of who they are. It does say defenseless above the shoulders but the hit on Davis by Kam was clean and given the bang bang intensity could be looked at as defensless if you don't have the correct camera angle.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I saw this on pti. Like they said what ref is going to toss an LSU safety in the game against Bama? If a ref does the rule will be changed in a matter of weeks.

Latest posts